Not a big haul, but....

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Re: Not a big haul, but....

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:45 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
assateague wrote:Yes. And whatever you do, don't buy long spring traps.

I prefer Dukes, never really used anything else. Had some Victor's, and traded them for some dog proofs last year. You'll need to dye them, wax them, and adjust them (in that order), but it's really simple, pretty much just a pair of channel locks. You can get a half dozen Duke #2 for about $60. Really, you could probably have all the basics you need to get started for around $100, certainly less than $120.

why no long springs? i saw something that said that they are more reliable in heavy snow.

Maybe they are, I don't know. Normally that's not something I deal with, though. Dirt trapping with them sucks because they take up so much space, you have to worry about keeping a lot more area clear and bedded properly, and you're going to disturb more ground when setting it. If I did more water trapping or something, they may be useful, but trying to run a line of dirt holes with long springs would be twice as difficult as with coil springs, in my opinion.
assateague

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:55 pm

assateague wrote:Like I said, I like Duke, but it's personal preference. I would say that they are perfect. If you find you enjoy it and have the time, then you can add higher dollar traps if you want to.

IMPORTANT
Check the regs where you're going to be trapping before you buy anything. Some places (like the whole state of Delaware, for example) require the use of offset jaw traps, and all places will have jaw spread restrictions. Check first, so you don't end up spending money on something you can't use. And while I don't normally follow many rules in general, I do when I'm trapping. There's just too much chance of catching someone's dog/cat/a bald eagle to risk it. If you kill someone's dog incidentally and you're legal, you're off the hook. But if you were using something that wasn't legal in your state and the same thing happens, it's a whole 'nother ball game.

Looks like I am good, searched through all of MDC's regs and this is a basic overview •May be placed and set for furbearers at 12:01 a.m. on Nov. 15 and must be removed by midnight of the last day of trapping season
•Must have smooth or rubber jaws only, and may include foot-hold, Conibear or other killing-type, foot-enclosing-type, cage-type, colony traps with openings no greater than 6 inches in height and 6 inches wide, snares set underwater only, and cable restraint devices. You may not use snares in a dry land set or pitfalls, deadfalls, or nets.
•Must be plainly labeled on durable material with the user’s full name and address or Conservation Number. Wildlife must be removed or released from traps daily, except for colony and killing-type traps, which must be checked every 48 hours.
•May not be set in paths made or used by people or domestic animals. Killing-type traps may not be set along public roadways, except underwater in permanent waters. Within communities having 10,000 or more inhabitants, only cage-type or foot-enclosing-type traps may be set within 150 feet of any residence or occupied building
•May be used in conjunction with electronic calls
Weston81

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:59 pm

That's pretty jacked up that you can use conibears but not snares. People seem to have some sort of phobia about snares, since they are illegal in a LOT of places.
assateague

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Not that I know anything really but it seems like I can catch them then whack them with a foothold or use what seems to be like the jaws of death(conibears) on them but I can't catch and club them if they are on a snare, because the state says so. Is that reading into it right?
Weston81

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah, looks to me like you can't set snares at all. Some places you can't whack them either. Technically, I think here you can't. A lot of places state that "any legal hunting device or method shall be used to dispatch trapped fur bearers", or something like that. And a 3' piece of rebar isn't a legal method of take, but oh well.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:28 pm

It says you can't use snares on dry land but you can use cable restraints. Many yotes have fallen to restraints. They ya it be as good as snares but they work.
Longsprings are easier to get stable then coils. They do require a bigger bed though.
I'm not a big fan of duke. I especially don't like their connibears. I will be selling all my dukes at the end of season and going strictly with Bridgers. I can't say that I don't like their coils though as I don't use enough of them. I know I really like Bridgers 1.5's though. Victors also seem to be good. I hear that a lot of times the metal can be real sharp edged on dukes and you need to spend some time filing them when you get them.
I never have understood the size limits on colony traps. What a fucking joke!
quackhead

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:32 pm

So I can use a cable restraint like QH said but I have to complete a class and there is a special season. And I can use underwater snares.

Following the committee’s recommendations, the MDC adopted specific regulations that allow holders of a Missouri Resident Trapping Permit to participate in a special season for Cable Restraints. Trappers must complete a Cable Restraint Training Program and pass a test to become eligible to use this trapping method
Weston81

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Any preference between offset and regular traps?
Weston81

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:43 pm

So here's my piss poor attempt at catching a bobcat behind my house. It is guarded with a victor #3 dbl longspring. Beaver hanging in the back of cubby and some cat gland in a little hole I put in the back. Sorry for the crappy pic but there was water on the lens. It took me 3 hrs of mostly snowshoeing to put this set in. I'm guessing a half hour of that time was spent making that cubby. I was sinking in the snow to my waist at times with snowshoes on. I needed to get that trail in though cause I'm gonna put a bait pile up there, 2 marten sets, a conn set and a bunch of yote sets. Boy is that a lot of work in all that snow.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by quackhead on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Don't need offsets! If your traps are even jawed and smooth (better if laminated) then there will be little to no damage to a critter.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Yep, don't get offsets unless you have to.

Quack, I thought most guys used cages for cats? And what is a cable restraint? I honestly have no clue.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Typically cages are used in cage states. Such as California or Colorado.
Cable restraints are basically snares that relax and have no way of locking tight.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Well that's retarded.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Since your colony traps aren't catching you any fur, you should probably send them my way :thumbsup:
quackhead

Previous

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum