Bad ass traps

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Bad ass traps

Postby quackhead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:37 pm

I picked up a few of these traps from a guy here locally. I traded 4 beaver carcasses and a couple oz of skunk essence. In return I got these 3 #3 dbl longs. They have outside lams, baseplate/center swiveled, reinforced dog, bubble tipped jaws, night-latched and pan leveled and tensioned. These are some bad ass yote traps. I might just set them out and try to get a yote for the hell of it! He also gave me some of his coyote bait he makes and a sifter w/dirthole trough that he made. Guy is a welder and does great work. I think I made out on the deal
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
quackhead

Re: Bad ass traps

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Night latches always bothered me, for some reason. I know it's irrational, but I'll never use them. Don't really know why.

And it will probably surprise nobody to know that #3 are illegal here.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Not sure why you wouldn't like nightlatched? It makes sure every time you set the trap, it's in the same position. I guess you don't have many yotes and there prob not very big there either so it prob don't bother you much not to run #3's.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 am

You're right about the 3s. Not that a big a deal, at least not yet. Converting them to latches always makes me think it's more prone to getting frozen or not tripping properly. All the one's I've messed with have been a more "sudden" trip, because of that sharp edge to click the dog in. I like a pretty stout tension on the pan, a little over 2 pounds, but that let's me set much closer to the edge, and still have a steady let off before it trips, but a very short travel. I've never been able to "like" the way the dog sits in a groove on a trap that's been night latched.
assateague

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum