Coyote Adventures 2022

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Coyote Adventures 2022

Postby PorkChop » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Well since duck numbers are starting to thin (found some we plan to hit Wednesday) I am transitioning to upland birds and coyotes. I posted my first coyote hunt in the duck blind forum the other day.

Yesterday I went down to a buddies house about 2 hours away as we purchased a pig. He was keeping my portion in his freezer. On the way home I saw a spot that looked like there should be a coyote using it. I walked in about 3/4 of a mile. After about 15 minutes of calling I spotted one coming in. it was definitely weary probably because of all the Deerhunters that have been around. When he got to about 150 yards I knew I needed to take the shot. One shot and he did a little bit of the death spin and then went down. Guessing he was about a two-year-old. Wasn’t very heavy but had some plaque buildup on his back teeth.

7F1B5A6C-389A-4284-855A-585376014EA9.jpeg

And yes that is a turd hanging out of his butt
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by PorkChop on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorkChop

Re: Coyote Adventures 2022

Postby PorkChop » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:39 pm

To say today was a crappy day at work would be an understatement. Besides all the stupid problems I was waiting for a truck that never came. So finally I said screw it and went home and got ready to do a coyote stand or two. As it turned out I only had time to do one. Well I guess that’s not totally true I did have time to do one more however there were so many deer hunters driving around I decided to pass on the second stand. Deer season closes on Sunday and then I will be more persistent.

I was literally no more than 200 yards from the US Canadian border. A nice piece of land I have permission on. Started with my typical howling. Wind was from the north east. I hate any winds from the east. Especially in the evening as you always need to keep a close eye on your down wind and so that means the sun is shining on you. I wear glasses when I hunt so of course you always have to worry about the reflection. About 25 minutes into the stand I saw one crossing the border. I don’t think she picked me out but She was hesitant. Like I said it’s deer season so all the Deerhunters take pop shots at the coyotes. She started heading back north and I thought I lost her but then I saw her cutting through some CRP. The sun had me all screwed up as I thought she was about 200 yards away. I got her to stop and then I took my shot. SHe did the death spin laid down but then after about five seconds she got back up and started running. I prepared to take a second shot however she went down again. Took me a bit to find her but I did. She actually was only about 90 yards away.

980A1ECE-D618-428A-842A-89CB0EE35519.jpeg
PorkChop

Postby Deltaman » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:51 am

Good Riddance PC :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:55 am

Nice predator management!

What you do with them after the kill? Make anything from the hide?
Darren

Postby PorkChop » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:24 am

Once I get a good load I will sell them. Not going to be worth much this year but every penny helps.
PorkChop

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:13 am

A Canadian yote on US soil. That’s pretty neat.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:48 pm

He shot a coyote crossing the border.

That has a whole other meaning on the southern border :shock: :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby PorkChop » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Well yesterday was the first full day that we could hunt coyotes at night so I figured I better make sure my night vision scope was on. The height was still on however it was shooting to the left about 7 inches. My scope has the one shot zero option. I was having a mental break down because every time I would make an adjustment it would do the opposite. Well after 20 rounds I pulled my head out of my butt and realized I was making the adjustments backwards ha ha. Once I did it correctly everything was right in the bull’s-eye.

Had time to get one stand in before my daughter‘s basketball game. Did some howling and watched a deer get up and takeoff. About two minutes later in that same spot I saw a coyote but he must’ve spotted me as he was turning around and then I saw him about 30 minutes later about a half mile away. So that was that one.

Then last night Vinny Quack and I went out. It started snowing which makes using lights hard because there’s so much reflection. After the snow stopped we got to calling. We could hear a bunch howling off to the west. Was getting ready to call it quits and head their direction when I spotted one to the east. It started doing some light howling and then another one was answering it to the south east not very far away so I knew we had a pair coming in. The first one I spotted was making his way down wind. My scope had shut off and then I couldn’t find him. First night out and I was making all sorts of mistakes. He hit our wind and so I had to take a shot at him as he trotted it off. I of course missed ha ha

We hit a second spot right by town. As soon as I started howling there was a group that was responding. There was at least three and maybe as many as five. Thought for sure they would come running in but nothing. I could tell they were less than a mile away. After about 15 minutes I figured I better let out another Howl and they replied again and they had gone further to the east. Tried a bunch of tricks but only had one that sounded like a male-come about halfway back and then he just started barking. I’m guessing when we pulled into the location we got busted. At all times they were up wind of us.

It was almost midnight so we called it a night. Thankfully as my emergency phone for work called me at 3:30 in this morning. Kind of tired but I think I’m gonna go back out here in a little bit.
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Well I had the day off yesterday and so after a bunch of research on my weather app I found an area that was going to have light winds. About 3 miles from my first calling spot I saw a fox out in the field and then about a mile or so there was a coyote on that same field on the Prairie Trail. When I got to the first field I scanned the area and saw a pair of coyotes so I gave them some time as they were heading to some cattails and I figured that is where they were going to bed down for the day.

Figured it would be quick but saw the first coyote at 30 minutes of calling. Since only one came in and from the direction it came in from I thought it was a different one from the pair. Figured maybe I spooked them. Got him and then had some idiot in a truck shooting at the other coyote from the road. Then he came out into the field and was driving all around looking for that coyote. I’m guessing he finally saw it because he hit the gas and then after I stopped filming I heard another shot. Road hunters are pathetic and people that chase coyotes with trucks and snowmobiles deserve a special place in hell. If you disagree you can eat a bag of dicks for all I care.

Anyways for the day I think I saw five or six coyotes and the one fox. Some other crazy things happened during the day. Lots of people out as I’m guessing they had the day off being the day after turkey day. Hoping to get a break in the wind tonight to do some night hunting and then it’s going to be windy for the foreseeable future. I am off till Thursday so I may have to change plans from coyote hunting to chasing roosters.

PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:06 pm

good on you hunting them like a sportsman ,here in illinois its illegal to use any conveyance vehicle to hunt out of but they do it and use them for deer also, i dont hesitate to give their license number to the game warden, keep wacking them :roll:
Pennydog1

Postby PorkChop » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:52 pm

First stand of tonight

E1EE1067-DC9F-49F6-9CD3-448D4BABDED9.jpeg

Right in the sniffer
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Video of last nights kill

PorkChop

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:53 am

Good job on the yotes PC :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:55 am

Great work PC!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby PorkChop » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Well Vinny Quack did it and shot her first coyote yesterday. Now she has put a coyote hunting rifle on her Christmas list. Looks like I’m going to have to go through some decoys and put them up for sale. Unfortunately it had some mange starting so not much you can do with it. The kid is on cloud nine! Started out the day about 1° with an 8 mph wind from the north west which eventually switched to the south east. As you can tell in the video she’s pretty bundled up but she tufted it out. The kid is tiny but she looks like she’s a regular member of the buffet club Ha Ha

PorkChop

Postby Deltaman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:32 pm

Congrats Vinney Quack!!!!!!
Good Job Dad :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby 5 stand » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:54 pm

I'm enjoying your coyote adventures keep up the good work...
Congrats to Vinny Quack.... :thumbsup:
5 stand

Postby PorkChop » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:06 pm

Well we got out last night and did three stands. I had intended on hunting a different area for the third one but when we got out in the field it just wasn’t right with the wind so I remembered another spot that I wanted to try. This field was a CRP field up until this fall and it just broken up. It used to be a great pheasant spot but no more. I wonder what the first crop that will be planted next year after so many years of not being planted. Anyway With my bad hip we didn’t walk but maybe a hundred or so yards from the truck. Started off with a few howls and had two respond right away. Sounded like they were maybe a half mile away so I figured it would be quick but after about 30 minutes I was losing hope. I decided to howl again and just as I did there I spotted some eyes by the railroad tracks. Then I lost them and Vinny said she thought it went to the left and sure enough there it was. I started filming with the scope (so I thought) but the other day I had set my scope to use the recoil filming option and it did not work the other night when I shot. So I hit the record button manually but after waiting all day to see the awesome video it wasn’t there. I guess when you set the scope to do the recoil option you can’t do the manual option unless you shut the other feature off. Total bummer as it would’ve been a great video. Anyways here he is. This boy definitely has not been missing any meals. 150 yard shot.

PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:32 am

PorkChop wrote:Well we got out last night and did three stands. I had intended on hunting a different area for the third one but when we got out in the field it just wasn’t right with the wind so I remembered another spot that I wanted to try. This field was a CRP field up until this fall and it just broken up. It used to be a great pheasant spot but no more. I wonder what the first crop that will be planted next year after so many years of not being planted. Anyway With my bad hip we didn’t walk but maybe a hundred or so yards from the truck. Started off with a few howls and had two respond right away. Sounded like they were maybe a half mile away so I figured it would be quick but after about 30 minutes I was losing hope. I decided to howl again and just as I did there I spotted some eyes by the railroad tracks. Then I lost them and Vinny said she thought it went to the left and sure enough there it was. I started filming with the scope (so I thought) but the other day I had set my scope to use the recoil filming option and it did not work the other night when I shot. So I hit the record button manually but after waiting all day to see the awesome video it wasn’t there. I guess when you set the scope to do the recoil option you can’t do the manual option unless you shut the other feature off. Total bummer as it would’ve been a great video. Anyways here he is. This boy definitely has not been missing any meals. 150 yard shot.

Haha.
So you're not the only one that goes to look at video and it's not there because ...sigh. reasons. :lol:
Then...oic. :lol:
Could be worse and the entire video needs rotating because...lol.
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:28 pm

Going through a dry spell. Should have a few more hanging but Murphy’s Law has been following me around.
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 pm

Things have been pretty slow and work has been keeping me busy. Also with my bad hip and needing to use snowshoes I am doing about 2% of the normal coyote hunting that I would be doing. Been seeing a lot of fox out and about. Had this one come in but I chose to bring A different rest and as you can tell I was pretty shaky. Was not expecting this fox the pop out where he did. Broke my rule of always expecting the unexpected. Good thing about fox though is even if you shoot at them you can give them about two weeks and then they’ll usually come back in again to a distress call. Definitely not the smartest predator out there.

165 yards should’ve been going home with us
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:58 am

PorkChop wrote:Going through a dry spell. Should have a few more hanging but Murphy’s Law has been following me around.

OK what'd you break?
How did you rig it? Duct tape?
This is always a good way to enhance the ego so tell us all about it including the cussing and throwing stuff please. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:36 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Going through a dry spell. Should have a few more hanging but Murphy’s Law has been following me around.

OK what'd you break?
How did you rig it? Duct tape?
This is always a good way to enhance the ego so tell us all about it including the cussing and throwing stuff please. :lol:

Actually laughed about it because I knew the stupid mistakes that I made right away. I was going to face that way because it was almost straight down wind but I knew there is a carcass off to the west so that’s where I figured a coyote would be hanging around and that it would come into the field and then work its way down wind. Also I typically use my tripod but I decided to bring a bipod rest that is not tight against the gun. It’s more of a U instead of a V. We were sitting on the side of a hill so when I turned to my left I was very uneven and as you can tell I rushed the shot. Wasn’t even steady at all. So a bunch of amateur mistakes snowballed into a miss and all I could do was laugh at myself.
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 am

I have been watching this little lady for a few days. She has zero fear. Two days ago I watched her sneaking up on a group of Hungarian Partridge. Couldn’t get a video of it. Hoping that Vinny can get her.

PorkChop

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:29 am

Cool Fox vids PC, and hell, I'd be shaking too in that cold snow snow covered ground :o
Hard to believe that little female stayed so close, for so long, and enjoyed watching her hunt!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:29 am

Deltaman wrote:Cool Fox vids PC, and hell, I'd be shaking too in that cold snow snow covered ground :o
Hard to believe that little female stayed so close, for so long, and enjoyed watching her hunt!

Red fox really are not the smartest. They can get pretty friendly as well if they get used to seeing you. I also really enjoy watching them especially when they do that jump up in the air and pounce the snow. Gets me every time
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:32 am

PorkChop wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Cool Fox vids PC, and hell, I'd be shaking too in that cold snow snow covered ground :o

Red fox really are not the smartest. They can get pretty friendly as well if they get used to seeing you. I also really enjoy watching them especially when they do that jump up in the air and pounce the snow. Gets me every time

I had an adventure once.
Carrie ran an ad.
She had fowl and a dog problem.
She really truly believed I'd shoot her neighbors dogs.
Ricky Spanish

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum