What are these worth

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

What are these worth

Postby Jonathanmorris8 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:33 pm

The only information I have is they were used by the ladies grandfather. They don’t have any writing on the ducks. The two geese have initials on them. I’m just looking to see if they are worth anything or if anyone would have any additional info on them.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Jonathanmorris8

Re: What are these worth

Postby Bud » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:34 am

From what I understand from an extremely knowledgeable carver and collector, the wood decoys went out when the plastics came in. People were throwing away their old, wooden decoy rigs and buying plastic decoys. It was easier to carry and set out plastics than the much heavier woods. I'd be more interested in the stories and people behind those decoys than the decoys themselves.

I have a handful of decoys that are worth more to me than to anyone else, because I know the carver/hunter that worked them.
I consider him a true friend and have hunted with and spent time with him. The decoys, to me, are likened unto a part of him.

I like old decoys, too. However, I know nothing of the "worth" of those decoys. Bought some handmade decoys at a gun show years back for $40 each. When she saw I was trying to buy most of them, she tried to change the price to $100 each. I put most of them back and kept the better ones...at $40 each...as they were priced. She then changed her prices. I walked away from her table.

When nobody wants them, it can make a lot of difference to their value. When someone wants them, their value may change. I, personally, have hunted and killed over hand-carved decoys. That is what they are for. It adds to the hunt.

Hated not seeing any reply here. Don't throw them away, for sure. Then, you can listen to the wife about "what do you plan to do with all these decoys"? I'd like to clean blood off them. I'd like to eat ducks from over them. Good luck.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Re: What are these worth

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:33 pm

He made five posts all related to these decoys hoping it was a gold mine.
That was 18 months ago.
He gone.
We fly
Ricky Spanish

Return to Decoy Carving Forum