Ace decoy anchors

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Ace decoy anchors

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 am

Have any of you ever used these? I just make up some goose floaters and I have to say they look like they will work pretty darn good
Tomkat

Re: Ace decoy anchors

Postby huntntech » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08 am

I bought some of these a couple years back. The J-Hook weights with the bungee. I really like them. Beats the hell out of wrapping the weight around the head or trying to get a strap weight to stay on the keel. I was worried about the rubber bungee tearing or breaking, and so far after 3 seasons I have not had one break. The guys I hunt with and I have liked them well enough that we are converting all our decoys(that arent texas rigged) over to this style.
huntntech

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

huntntech wrote:I bought some of these a couple years back. The J-Hook weights with the bungee. I really like them. Beats the hell out of wrapping the weight around the head or trying to get a strap weight to stay on the keel. I was worried about the rubber bungee tearing or breaking, and so far after 3 seasons I have not had one break. The guys I hunt with and I have liked them well enough that we are converting all our decoys(that arent texas rigged) over to this style.

I have to admit I am impressed with the design. I will give them the Jarbo test, anything that stands up to that is never going to break!!!!
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Like this here
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358391541.670347.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358391579.669400.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

Postby huntntech » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 pm

I think you will really like them. I know I do! I didn't put the extra loop on the j-hook to help hook them onto the decoy. I figured that was one more thing to get hung up, but I'm sure it'll make them easier to pull the weight onto the decoy.
huntntech

Postby Tomkat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am

So far they seem to look pretty cool. Those are 4 brand new GHG flocked head floaters with 10 feet of line.
Tomkat

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:16 am

I have about 6 hot buys rigged with the ace anchors and fishing line. Even though I love the texas rigging, it seems like it takes less wind to move the decoys around that are rigged with the ace anchors and fishing line.
goodkarmarising

Postby flight control » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:40 pm

I looked at these at an outdoor show this year and they were 60$/doz, so I laughed, put them down and walked away. I did some searching on the interwebs and found that you an cast lead in Bondo (autobody filler). I made a mold by cutting a piece of plywood to the shape and sized anchor I wanted, and pressed it into a block of body filler. Before it was completely cured, but sufficiently hardened, I removed the wood, and slightly beveled the edges of the mold with a utility knife. Here is the end result.
IMG631.jpg

I poured about 75 anchors and the mold is only now starting to show signs of wear, so thats about 375$ worth of anchors if I had bought them @ 60$/doz for an investment of 20$ worth of body filler.

I used these almost exclusively all season on everyhing from teal ( I cut off some of the tail end because they were overkill) to black ducks, goldeneyes and geese and really liked them. No issues with wind or current dragging them.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Good tip, I didn't know bondo would hold up to the heat
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby flight control » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Good tip, I didn't know bondo would hold up to the heat

I was surprised at how well it held up. I would pour until the mold actually got so hot that the lead wouldn't solidify, then dunk the mold ( not the molten lead) in water to cool it down. It would steam and dry in a few seconds and be ready to go again.

Also, if anybody tries this, make the mold big, at least two inches thick and also two inches from the cavity to the edges. this will make for a durable mold that will not crack. Mine has hairline cracks that get wider as it heats up.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:31 pm

The cracks might be from quenching it in the water.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby flight control » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 pm

They might be but I don't have the patience to wait for it to cool down.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby assateague » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby JGUN » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 am

Try silicon for the mold with bondo on the outside to hold the shape. We've made a lot of our own jig and sinker molds this way.
JGUN

Postby flight control » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 am

Silicone as in caulk?
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby JGUN » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am

flight control wrote:Silicone as in caulk?

Yes as in 100% silicone. There is also a silicone that is like a putty that you can form with your hands that we use the most though. Ill have to look up the name of it.
JGUN

Postby JGUN » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 am

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/silicone-plastique
I believe this is the stuff. I think you can get it at Michaels. I did a quick search and there were a few different ones that came up. Bondo by itself is fine for small runs but we can pour hundreds of fishing jigs and sinkers in the silicone with no problem and you can make them very detailed. You can carve something out of wood and create a perfect mold to pour it out of lead. If I remember I'll take some pics up at the shop later tonight.
JGUN

Postby flight control » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

That is pretty cool. There is a michaels about an hours drive from here. I'll stop in and look for some next time I drive by
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby JGUN » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm

We don't have any of the moldable stuff at the shop right now. My dad makes most of the molds we use. He said when using the plain 100% silicone to coat the anchor in vaseline before making the mold. Also mix the silicone with water to make it setup faster just be careful not to add too much or it will setup while you mix it.
JGUN

Postby flight control » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip JGUN
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Return to Decoy Carving Forum