Green Wings

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Green Wings

Postby RickC » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 am

These are 5 of 8 teal in wire and canvas that are drying after having watered down gesso applied. With 1 other that dried the day before that will leave 2 left to cover and gesso then I can finish the heads and get them ready to bolt down and detail.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
RickC

Re: Green Wings

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 am

Can't wait to see those. You've got some talent sir! :thumbsup:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Can't wait to see those. You've got some talent sir! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm still learning as I do them more. Im not real happy with the pattern but these are going to be strictly hunted, no shows. I get these in the painting stage and I can get going on the traveling dekes.
RickC

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Finished yet?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby RickC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:42 pm

No, I've had to set them aside the last few days but did start painting on one his morning after work. Im trying something totally different with these though. I've only painted with acrylics on my previous birds. These Im using plain old Rustoleum.
RickC

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm

When y'all say rustoleum are us just spraying it on?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby RickC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:56 pm

No, the brush on type.
RickC

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Redbeard wrote:When y'all say rustoleum are us just spraying it on?

Red.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:When y'all say rustoleum are us just spraying it on?

Red.

:lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby RickC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Ok these are pretty much done, The Rusty Bunch, painted with Rustoleum paints. Its a new pattern and after putting them together and putting the cover on I realized they need to be a bit wider and shorter but they'll work for gunners. Another thing about the paint is I wanted to do a simple block type gunner paint. Also for a lack of tools I chose not to carve bill detail and it stays with a simple gunner block. I just have to touch up some bill to cheek areas for definition.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
RickC

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Great looking birds Rick
Redbeard

Postby RickC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks! Glad these are done for the most part, the shops getting pretty hot about now.
RickC

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:31 pm

I don't remember...are these for you or someone else?
Redbeard

Postby RickC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:37 pm

These are for me, but I might put one in a swap and one in a raffle. Havent dekes used yet.
RickC

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Wow Rick, do you take orders?

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby RickC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Olly wrote:Wow Rick, do you take orders?

Sent from my phone.

Thanks Oily, I do
RickC

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 pm

RickC wrote:
Olly wrote:Wow Rick, do you take orders?

Sent from my phone.

Thanks Oily, I do

PM coming your way.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Those are awesome Rick.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby RickC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Those are awesome Rick.

Thanks DH, some touch ups to do and I will get them keeled and ready for the water. But first I want to get the Red Crested Pochard ready for traveling ;-)
RickC

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 am

How strong is the wire and canvas Rick? Will you have to baby them forever for them to last? (Not that you shouldn't baby artwork like that anyway). Just as strong as plastic or a burlap/foamer?

They look great! :thumbsup:

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:How strong is the wire and canvas Rick? Will you have to baby them forever for them to last? (Not that you shouldn't baby artwork like that anyway). Just as strong as plastic or a burlap/foamer?

Time will tell how they will hold up under hunting conditions as this will be my first season using them only. While I don't baby my decoys I don't overly abuse them either. They will either be bagged all together or transported the way I do most of the time, shoved up under the bow and along the sides in my hybrid. These were first used by market hunters who I doubt were gentle with any decoys so I think as long as I don't jump up and down on them they should last. Even so for me it's just the ability to enjoy a part of water-fowling history.

Rick
RickC

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

RickC wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:How strong is the wire and canvas Rick? Will you have to baby them forever for them to last? (Not that you shouldn't baby artwork like that anyway). Just as strong as plastic or a burlap/foamer?

Time will tell how they will hold up under hunting conditions as this will be my first season using them only. While I don't baby my decoys I don't overly abuse them either. They will either be bagged all together or transported the way I do most of the time, shoved up under the bow and along the sides in my hybrid. These were first used by market hunters who I doubt were gentle with any decoys so I think as long as I don't jump up and down on them they should last. Even so for me it's just the ability to enjoy a part of water-fowling history.

Rick

Didn't know that market hunters used them. Hope they hold up well for you!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Yes, from what I've read they used them in the late 1800s. Materials were more readily available and at times free after big storms. Canvas torn from ship masts and telegraph or telephone wire was usually scavenged.
RickC

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

RickC wrote:Yes, from what I've read they used them in the late 1800s. Materials were more readily available and at times free after big storms. Canvas torn from ship masts and telegraph or telephone wire was usually scavenged.

Know any good decoy history books? I love history...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
RickC wrote:Yes, from what I've read they used them in the late 1800s. Materials were more readily available and at times free after big storms. Canvas torn from ship masts and telegraph or telephone wire was usually scavenged.

Two books that I was able to get are The Great Book of Waterfowl Decoys and Decoys - North Americas One Hundred Greatest. There are more but they are pricey. I've gotten a lot from issues of Decoy Magazine. I've picked up several old copies off of eBay.
RickC

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 am

RickC wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Two books that I was able to get are The Great Book of Waterfowl Decoys and Decoys - North Americas One Hundred Greatest. There are more but they are pricey. I've gotten a lot from issues of Decoy Magazine. I've picked up several old copies off of eBay.

Thanks Rick! :thumbsup:

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 am

Anytime brother
RickC

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

This book has a lot of info on decoys from your area. I've read about half of it, it's a long ass book. There are a ton of books on the history, most that are very factual are written about specific areas.

http://www.amazon.com/Decoys-Decoy-Carv ... 729&sr=1-1
Bufflehead

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:04 am

Bufflehead wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

This book has a lot of info on decoys from your area. I've read about half of it, it's a long ass book. There are a ton of books on the history, most that are very factual are written about specific areas.

http://www.amazon.com/Decoys-Decoy-Carv ... 729&sr=1-1

Thanks Bufflehead. Good looking out!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Some can make decoys and others can make rigs. Rick you are the later. Those will look great on the water together. Nice work man.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Next

Return to Decoy Carving Forum