What type of wood...

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

What type of wood...

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:48 am

...would you experienced guys (Dan excluded!) recommend I carve the heads from?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: What type of wood...

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 pm

For keels too?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Particle board
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:43 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Particle board
Come on Reb rich folks like you don't use particle board
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Redbeard wrote:

Solid mahogany is minimum for Reb
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:46 pm

All because I have a boat... :oops:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Solid mahogany is minimum for Reb
and leather
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:50 pm

rebelp74 wrote:All because I have a boat... :oops:

:)
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:28 pm

For the heads you can go all out or low end. Basswood, Tupelo are the most used but I've seen heads carved out of 4x4 pine. The basswood and tupelo have better carving grains but the regular yellow pine can be done.
For keels just about anything can be used but a favorite among some due to its weight is composite decking material. With that you wont need any lead ballast to help self-right.
RickC

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 pm

rebelp74 wrote:All because I have a boat... :oops:

No, because you have a HUGE fucking boat.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby RickC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 am

Aaron, it just dawned on me you would be looking for wood to carve heads for your foam project. On those I'd use balsa. There's a company that has some thats works well for decoys and such. I'll look up the name here in a bit and send it to you.
RickC

Postby RickC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 am

http://www.nationalbalsa.com/customer_pics_s/256.htm If you go to the bottom of the page you'll see a decoy made out of balsa by Bob Mithchell.
RickC

Postby JGUN » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:27 am

You may want to consider cedar too. Light and easy to carve. Last years traveler was made entirely of cedar. Except the keel, that was some exotic dense wood that I don't remember what I used.
JGUN

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 am

JGUN wrote:You may want to consider cedar too. Light and easy to carve. Last years traveler was made entirely of cedar. Except the keel, that was some exotic dense wood that I don't remember what I used.

That was Massaranduba, pretty heavy stuff
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 am

Just picked up a 6'x6"x8" of basswood for the heads per Mean Gene. I woulda had to special order balsa. Guys at Almquist told me bass is nearly as light as balsa.

Suppose I could add a small lead ballast to the keel to help distribute weight if needed right?
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 am

Redbeard wrote:Just picked up a 6'x6"x8" of basswood for the heads per Mean Gene. I woulda had to special order balsa. Guys at Almquist told me bass is nearly as light as balsa.

Suppose I could add a small lead ballast to the keel to help distribute weight if needed right?
jr uses maple then uses lead to balance it out, tapes it on first then drills and epoxies it in when he knows how much he needs where
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 am

jehler wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Just picked up a 6'x6"x8" of basswood for the heads per Mean Gene. I woulda had to special order balsa. Guys at Almquist told me bass is nearly as light as balsa.

jr uses maple then uses lead to balance it out, tapes it on first then drills and epoxies it in when he knows how much he needs where
that was exactly my plan. Got a buncha lead laying around
Redbeard

Postby RickC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Yep, when you get it all ready setting the ballast wont be a big deal for you.
On the basswood weighing about the same as balsa I will have to disagree with that. Bslsa is much lighter than basswood but is designated as a hardwood.
RickC

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 pm

RickC wrote:Yep, when you get it all ready setting the ballast wont be a big deal for you.
On the basswood weighing about the same as balsa I will have to disagree with that. Bslsa is much lighter than basswood but is designated as a hardwood.
ten 4
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:17 am

Redbeard wrote:
RickC wrote:Yep, when you get it all ready setting the ballast wont be a big deal for you.
ten 4

Balsa is damn near weightless. I bet it weighs 1/10th of what basswood does.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 am

I exaggerated. Its actually 1/3-1/5 light depending on sap/heart

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:25 am

Gotcha well I'll be adding a ballast then
Redbeard

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 am

Basswood is heavy as crap compared to cedar. A hollow basswood bird will weight more than a solid cedar bird. I got away from basswood because its like trying to carve steel. White cedar or pine is the way to go IMO. I do use basswood for decoratives as it holds a very sharp edge and fine details very well where cedar does not. Use cedar for both heads and bodies. I dont see any point in using a heavier material for the already heavier end of the decoy. It makes it harder to balance on the water.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Ok, I don't have any experience with carving birds, but I do have a question. My only experience with cedar is building decks, but I've found it to be very "stringy", and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to carve at all. Is this a different type of cedar, or is it not "stringy" when bought in something thicker than a 2" board? When you guys talk about carving cedar, I can't help but think "what a pain in the ass that must be".
assateague

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Northern White and Jersey White cedar is typically what is used for carving. Red cedar is carved by some but can be stringy and is much harder material. Locally and in NC the white is the same as what we call Juniper. I have some NC juniper that was milled from old growth in 1984. Its the best carving wood Ive ever seen. Local cottonwood is also good for carving. I picked up a couple aged logs from one of the Wards and had them milled by a friend. Nice stuff too. I recently cut a TON of white pine which I hear is great carving wood. However, it will be two years air drying before its dry enough to carve.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Return to Decoy Carving Forum