Carving supplies and tutorials

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Carving supplies and tutorials

Postby JGUN » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 am

For all the regular carvers here on the site I'm sure you have you're favorite suppliers. I'd like to start a running list of prefered suppliers such as sawmills, paints, cork, carving tools or just general carving supplies and maybe even tutorials.
I took lessons from Willy at the duck blind here in Michigan. He sells pretty much everything you need for carving and has some great tutorials on his site.

http://www.theduckblind.com/
JGUN

Re: Carving supplies and tutorials

Postby RickC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 am

Can't get much better than Willie, I get my basswood for heads there. Actually won his DVD set back in January, really good stuff.
Since about all im doing right now are wire and canvas I dont have a long list of specialty places. I did invest in a good knife from Bob Barts Knives, picked up a tupelo knife. Excellent blade.
WWW.bobbartsknives.com
RickC

Re: Carving supplies and tutorials

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 am

Great source for glass eyes and painting/carving tools. For knives I prefer Knotts Knives in Salisbury MD. I also buy most of my cedar from him if I dont drive to NC to get it. He does ship but I go to his house to pick it up so I can check out his decoys while Im there.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Return to Decoy Carving Forum