Playing around a little

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Playing around a little

Postby Scott R » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 pm

I normally never carve in the spring and summer but my brother came down last weekend so I ended up craving with him. Haven't been able to get back on them until today so I played with it a little. Sorta feeling like I'm getting back into it again.

The bird on the left is has a crab pot bouy for the body. One on right is cork.

I put a pork butt on the grill so hopefully I keep fiddling with these things while I cook all afternoon and have them reaady to paint by tonight.

Scott R

Re: Playing around a little

Postby RickC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Looking good Scott

Rick
RickC

Postby JGUN » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Nice! Can't wait to see some paint in them.
JGUN

Postby Scott R » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Just finished working in the neck on the teal. Letting it set up now.

About to start on the bluebill now. Have to use Apoxie Sculpt on it and it's been awhile since I've worked with it. Good thing it has a long working time before setting up :lol:
Scott R

Postby RickC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:07 pm

AS is magical stuff
RickC

Postby Scott R » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:44 pm

No doubt. You can do a lot with it and the water clean up and smell..or lack of..are big pluses. It just takes it so long to set up before you can sand it.
Scott R

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Well crap!!! Was base coating the teal and blocking in colors and I found a bad really bad area on the side and back. Will look horrible if I paint it so I'm headed back to the shed for a Foredom fix. I hate grinding on a bird after I've started painting :x
Scott R

Postby RickC » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:01 pm

I've run into the same thing with heads mainly and it frustrates me to where I'll set it to the side and glare at it now and again while workng on another. After awhile I usually come up with some kind of plan to fix it.
RickC

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:51 pm

I've been real bad about just letting stuff go lately and trying to paint it out. Decided last weekend not to do that anymore. Drives me nuts after I finish a bird and then see all the mistakes or easy fixes I let go because I was in a hurry. Just decided it'll take however long it takes from now on. My time is very limited in the summer so I want to get the most done I can when I'm working...been cranking out some nasty looking birds though.

Took all of 5 minutes to fix the teal and I'm much happier with it. The I turned around a found something similar on the bouy bird..went ahead and ground it down and am in the process of sealing a base coating it again.
Scott R

Return to Decoy Carving Forum