Bluebill Bouy Decoy

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Bluebill Bouy Decoy

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Rained all day yesterday so I sit down and prepped this one for paint and managed to get it blocked in last night and the back combed. If I get the itch maybe I'll start painting on it today.

Crab pot bouys are definately an interesting material to work with. Found out it doesn't take a real big piece to scratch your eye :lol:

Scott R

Bluebill Bouy Decoy

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Real nice
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Re: Bluebill Bouy Decoy

Postby RickC » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Looks great Scott
RickC

Postby capt1972 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 pm

:thumbsup:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:44 pm

What are crab pot bouys made off, just foam? Looks amazing, durable?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:30 pm

This bouy was foam but it was almost borderline plastic in it's consitancy. I had to use the same bit I use on cork to cut it down and it didn't sand well at all...it was really hard. Couldn't dent it with my fingers and I dropped it twice without any damage to it. I started with 120 grit an quickly ended up with 50 grit. It was still real "fuzzy" when I finished and the pieces felt rubbery.

I think this one will be very durable but I don't how it compares to any others. This is the 1st one I've done but from what I understand alot of the other smaller bouys are a lot softer.

I'm kind of excited about finishing it. Did it more as a change of pace bird and figured on just sitting it to the side but I think I'll hunt it a few times for fun.
Scott R

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:30 pm

jehler wrote:What are crab pot bouys made off, just foam? Looks amazing, durable?
Closed cell foam.

We paint the ones on our crab pots to color code them so we know what pots are ours but on nets they are required to be yellow. I've got yellow buoys that are 10-15 years old that have never been painted, they are a little faded but other than that, no damage.
Bufflehead

Return to Decoy Carving Forum