Finished ringnecks

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Finished ringnecks

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Finished up some ringnecks this morning. Some are headed to Florida, some are staying in California, and a couple are headed to Washington. Imagine that, my ducks are migrating.

The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Re: Finished ringnecks

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:16 pm

They look awesome Gene.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Very sharp

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Very nice. You have skills
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:46 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:They look awesome Gene.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

^ This!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Nicely done Gene
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Usually its the drakes that are more "flashy" than the hens but the paint on those girls is too nice.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 am

One suggestion was made to lighten the bottom half of the head a little. I can try that. I've seen pictures of birds with all dark heads and half and half. The sides are a challenge. I'm not sure if I'm in love with that pattern, but after you start getting 20-30 yards away from them they really look good. I'd rather have the birds look good at 30 yards than 1. Seems that if the darker colors aren't somewhat exaggerated they tend to disappear farther away. Granted at some point everything blurs, so it's a bit tricky as what to do.
Mean Gene

Postby Scott R » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:29 am

From a gunning bird perspective I think they look fine Gene. Yes...hens heads are lighter from the eye channel down and overall they are a fairly light bird. When it comes to hunting though I had much rather have a darker bird...and a lot of the detail is no doubt lost at 20 yards.

IMO the simpler the better on a bird that is going to hunt. Make it easy on the clients to maintain the bird and you'll be in business forever...selling to hunters. Your stuff gets better every time I see it and I love the way you are keeping it simple...great job :thumbsup:
Scott R

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Scott R wrote:From a gunning bird perspective I think they look fine Gene. Yes...hens heads are lighter from the eye channel down and overall they are a fairly light bird. When it comes to hunting though I had much rather have a darker bird...and a lot of the detail is no doubt lost at 20 yards.

IMO the simpler the better on a bird that is going to hunt. Make it easy on the clients to maintain the bird and you'll be in business forever...selling to hunters. Your stuff gets better every time I see it and I love the way you are keeping it simple...great job :thumbsup:

Me too. Will being able to see the detail at 30+ yards help? Not sure, but I know personally I'd rather see that than a blah bird. I don't believe I'll ever get to the Mintz level, but I'm not really aspiring to do that. I'm just trying to produce something that will work, put in some detail where I can and blend colors together. I'm gonna have to stay simple...mixing colors and painting has never been my strong point. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene

Postby Scott R » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Mean Gene wrote: I'm gonna have to stay simple...mixing and painting has never been my strong point. :thumbsup:

I'm right there with you Gene :lol: :lol:

I think you are doing a pretty dang good job :thumbsup: Like I stated before...every time you post up a bird they just get better looking.
Scott R

Return to Decoy Carving Forum