New Canvasback

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Re: New Canvasback

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 am

assateague wrote:Is have to make one first. And I'm pretty sure that's beyond my pay grade.

Send your rej's to Boot, he's rich
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby RickC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:11 am

Assa, and any of the other members here. If you need a pattern to try your hand at this craft just let me know. I have a few here and there. If I dont I can draw one up. Oh and there are a LOT of pattern books on amazon that you get for a load cheaper then those books at the Ward. Those are collectors books and so bring that kind of price. A lot of carvers use reference pics to draw off off, you just have to adjust for full side view and know what size the bird is in hand.
I'd be more than happy to help someone else get started. Assa you are also in the best place to find a mentor, the east coast is loaded with them.
The only other thing I can offer is advice on keeping specimens for painting reference as well as carving.
RickC

New Canvasback

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:15 am

Assa, you have a bandsaw?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:23 am

jehler wrote:Assa, you have a bandsaw?

He's scouring youtube for instructions for making one out of a kitchen mixer as we speak.
Rick

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 pm

It would be sweet justice if I could turn the wife's KitchenAid into a bandsaw. But no, don't have one. Was thinking of trying it with a hatchet and chisels, first.

And Scott, thanks. Doug (Baysider on here) is a little over an hour down the road, and has invited me to his shop several times. But the hectic life that is a wife and kids just hasn't allowed me to find the time. I'm pretty much limited to "I have an hour, think I'll step out to the shop for a bit".
assateague

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:24 pm

assateague wrote:Was thinking of trying it with a hatchet and chisels, first.

A pro carver friend once sat on the tailgate of my truck and knocked one out with a couple blocks of wood, a pencil, hatchet, pocket knife and what I think he called a "shapes-all" rasp. The ease with which he did it wasn't nearly so inspiring as intimidating. Which is also the case with the work of these guys on the forum.
Rick

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Rick wrote:
jehler wrote:Assa, you have a bandsaw?

He's scouring youtube for instructions for making one out of a kitchen mixer as we speak.

:lol: we were all thinking it
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 am

assateague

Postby RickC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:59 am

Assa there is a style of decoy you may want to look at, Core Sound Decoys. This is a link to a web site for them http://www.decoyguild.com they are typically done with a hatchet rasp and spoke shave. And this thread has a good article within it about them http://www.workingdecoys.net/workingdec ... pic=8548.0
RickC

Postby RonE » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 am

assateague wrote:It would be sweet justice if I could turn the wife's KitchenAid into a bandsaw. But no, don't have one. Was thinking of trying it with a hatchet and chisels, first.

And Scott, thanks. Doug (Baysider on here) is a little over an hour down the road, and has invited me to his shop several times. But the hectic life that is a wife and kids just hasn't allowed me to find the time. I'm pretty much limited to "I have an hour, think I'll step out to the shop for a bit and see how the rats are doing".

What I heard you say.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 am

RickC wrote:Assa there is a style of decoy you may want to look at, Core Sound Decoys. This is a link to a web site for them http://www.decoyguild.com they are typically done with a hatchet rasp and spoke shave. And this thread has a good article within it about them http://www.workingdecoys.net/workingdec ... pic=8548.0

Thanks Rick. I think I may actually try this.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 am

assateague wrote:

He needs more rpms
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Decoy Carving Forum