Bored on a Tuesday

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Bored on a Tuesday

Postby flyn88 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:56 pm

I have been trying to carve Illinois style decoys for a while. Still haven't got the pattern right. Getting closer, but still needs some work.
flyn88

Re: Bored on a Tuesday

Postby RickC » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:05 am

Its looking good.
RickC

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:30 pm

Ok. What's Illinois style vs others?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby flyn88 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Goldfish wrote:Ok. What's Illinois style vs others?

It's more of a traditional style. The reference comes from the area a carver was from. Different areas had different ways of making decoys. An example would be a Chesapeake bay decoy had more of a rounded body from being turned on a lathe. They didn't have the tail definition other area carvers put into there's. Weights were often different as well. Some used pad weights, while others used more of a strap type.
flyn88

Postby RickC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:26 am

Goldfish wrote:Ok. What's Illinois style vs others?

When you start looking into this you come across terms like "styles" or "schools" and it takes some digging to tell what the differences are with each. To complicate matters more, within a style may be a school. At least thats how I've found it to be.
The Delaware style is a good example. The head, neck transition to the breast may be different than from another area but even within that region there is the Blair School and you can see examples of it in contemporary carver Geoff Vines work. Other examples of the Delaware style can be seen in another contemporary carvers work, Jode Hillman. Both master carvers and painters whose work I really admire.
A lot of the style work came from market hunters who carved their own decoys, and some for others, and many within one area would share or be copied. They designed and carved what worked best in the waters they hunted. Swift moving rivers versus tidal flats and bays could result in varying differences. Rounded bottoms, flat bottoms, eyes, no eyes, hollowed and not was just a matter of location.
RickC

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:42 am

ahaha. Illinois style but it looks a slight bit too chicagoish for my tastes.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Decoy Carving Forum