Craving patterns duck decoys

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Re: Craving patterns duck decoys

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:18 pm

Heer arr some craving pttaerns for dcuk dceoys.

http://www.chippingaway.com/woodcarving ... tterns.htm
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:44 pm

What you going to carve? Couple of members here are all ga-ga about hand carved decoys.
Make one for next duck season and sponsor a decoy that site-members hunt over, sign, and then mail to the next guy.
They call it a "traveler".

Sell/auction the decoy at the end of it's adventures and donate the money to a good cause like this site.
Olly could probably use a little cash for upkeep on this little beauty of a website.
Thanks man. Sorry about making fun of the crave.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Instead of buying individual patterns like that, I'd look info pattern books off Barnes and Noble or Amazon. I got a few that weren't very expensive and they have quite a few patterns in them.

What species are you looking for, or just looking for patterns in general?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:45 pm

I can see what my books have for diver patterns tonight when I get home and I'll let you know what I have. Then you can let me know if you want copies of them and I could email you the pattern and you could print it out. I'll send you the dimensions as well so when you print it you'll know if it's the right size, etc.

So far I've traced all my patterns that I've used onto cardboard like cereal/pop/beer boxes so that it's more durable.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Btw, I recommend this book:
http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/decoys-the-art-of-the-wooden-bird_richard-lemaster/418771/?gclid=CJeW5JjxoMsCFQmSaQod9GYLpw#isbn=0809256649?mkwid=s5yyU3ak9|dm&pcrid=70112893872&pkw=&pmt=&plc=
He does a spectacular job with painting in there and gives a very good beginners list for equipment and supplies

This is another book I have that has patterns in it for a bunch of birds. Not overly detailed, but it'll get you going
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0486240835/ref=pd_aw_sbs_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=512YGJBSFNL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=1G1BXDVHNGSDFY8DZA6Q

The best part is both of those books are really cheap. Lol
Goldfish

Return to Decoy Carving Forum