Who's the other guy from GA here?

Re: Who's the other guy from GA here?

Postby Bud » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:24 pm

Shot ducks in GA many a year. I'm not from GA. Heck, I live here. I hunt the coastal areas and am slowing down a bit.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:12 am

PA native living in IL, but spent a while in GA.

SpinnerMan

Postby Scott R » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:59 pm

Been in south GA for almost 14 years now. Originally from AL. Spent some time in LA and TX before settling down here.
Scott R

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Scott R wrote:Been in south GA for almost 14 years now. Originally from AL. Spent some time in LA and TX before settling down here.

Where at? I lived in tifton for a few years. I'm from griffin and live here now.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Scott R » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:11 am

I'm west of Tifton. I usually say Moultrie because I don't think anyone would know the town of Hartsfield. Hartsfield is on Hwy 37 about 1/2 way between Moultrie and Camilla.

Been to Tifton many times though.
Scott R

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:41 am

Scott R wrote:I'm west of Tifton. I usually say Moultrie because I don't think anyone would know the town of Hartsfield. Hartsfield is on Hwy 37 about 1/2 way between Moultrie and Camilla.

Been to Tifton many times though.

You hunt Seminole much?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Scott R » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:13 am

Never hunted it. Fished it only 2 times since I've been here.

When I moved over here i started my own Ag Consulting business so time is an issue now. Not to mention after spending 3 years in south LA and another 2.5 years in south TX I was severely spoiled on waterfowl hunting. :D

I still go back to Alabama and hunt maybe 3-5 days a year now. I've pretty much stopped duck hunting over the last few years and just carve a little now. Just not worth it to me anymore to fight the crowds. I do a lot more deer hunting now and fish the coast in the fall. Work has also increased a lot more in the winter now as compared to what it was 10 years ago.
Scott R

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:37 am

We make it down there a couple times a year bc the bird numbers just put our local hunting to shame.
Ag consulting sounds like it's pretty lucrative. I went to abac and one of my good friends there was the son of a farmer. It was pretty apparent how well they did. :lol:
My brother is at abac now working on a diversified ag degree and he's taking classes for cca certification. I shoulda went that route but I went with the turf grass degree... Good thing is I hardly work during duck season and still get paid.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Scott R » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Not sure how lucrative it's gonna be next year. I have 9 farmers that have been long term clients now for over 10 years. 8 of the 9 are going into the red this year. The other one may...and I do me MAY...break even. Low yields combined with low commodity prices (cotton and peanuts) combined for the perfect storm this year. The summer dry streak killed us in my area. I have a smaller guy that's coming up $300,000 short. Some of my bigger ones are in a lot rougher shape.

For all you hear about gov't subsidies and other crap like that let me assure you... it's not there for your everyday grower and not there for any cotton farmer. Best I can tell at this point I may loose at least 20% of my business...possibly more.

Been a good run the last 12 years though. You have to expect stuff like this every now an then and plan well in advance for it. Hope this one is short but it doesn't look like cotton is expected to rebound for a couple of years.

I use to get a lot of time off during hunting season. Than about 6-7 years ago precision soil sampling and fertilizer application (GPS) really exploded. It increased my soil sampling from pulling 700-800 samples a year to 5000+. Tack the added computer work of generating GPS spreader files for the fertilizer trucks and luxury time got scarce real quick...but it was worth the extra time :D
Scott R

Postby Bud » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 pm

I hunted Altamaha Butler Island quota once this season. Did not bother returning or firing my shotgun. They have been hammered by high tides, hurricanes, and lack of funds. The older I get, the less I go because of my age and health. I no longer have a partner,
and it isn't the wife's thing. Killed a lot of good puddle ducks in GA near coastal waters over thew years, and have quite the mount collection. Shared a place with a new partner, who shared the place with some younger guys, who got there earlier from then on out. We were given a better place and had pintails and such all over us all morning in the rain. He promised not to tell them. He likes helping others, but Rhetts is a lot of work to tell others about. We normally just don't get enough to go around.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Deltaman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am

Fool me once, shame on you.........fool me twice......shame on me :(
A tells B......B tells C.....etc......... most people just can't stand it, and have to show it..........
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 am

I think Olly hails from GA but hasn’t lived there in several years.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Bud » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Wish we had more places and more ducks. I like sharing, but not where I have found mallards or pintails. I don't mean to sound selfish, because I mostly am all but that. There are a lot more guys hunting ducks since that TV show aired. I know better than to go where all the shooting is coming from nowadays.
Scouted a place the weekend before opener a 30 years back and found a good amount of woodies. During the week, the rains caused the edge to be 200 yards deeper in the woods. We never shot that morning, but someone that scouted after the rains sure did. Bet they shot up five boxes of shells. The game wardens came a lookin'. Had them out by their truck as we left blocking the road. When they moved to let us by, I asked one of the three guys how many they shot. They had one wood duck. Said they were just out of range.
I was born here, raised here, shot more than my share of ducks here over my lifetime, and can't tell someone when I have found birds any longer. It won't last unless you use it sparingly. Good luck out there and be safe.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Previous

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting Forum