Miss Cadee

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Miss Cadee

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Rick wrote:Generally takes them a bit to remember they've back legs, too.
it was quite the show. She was biting at the water as she splashed with her front paws.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Nice. Good on ya for getting her exposed to water early.

My pup surprised my on her first swim, too....she just jumped in and took off.

What is the plan for live birds?
Tomkat

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 am

Redbeard wrote:She was biting at the water as she splashed with her front paws.

The thing about biting at the water reminded me of a phenomenon called "water freaking" some Chessies are prone to, where they're so crazy for water that they'll swim in circles splashing and biting at the water just for the pure-d hell of it. Seemed likely the coyote could have become a water freak if I'd let him, as there were times early on when he'd veer off course to a mark apparently just to swim, almost as if in a trance, and have to be handled back on course. When that started, I nipped it in the bud by making sure he completed his retrieves without deviation and didn't have free time in the water without "a job" to do when swimming in circles might have become habitual.

Peake/the coyote never did bite at the water, but that's a classic symptom, so freaking is something you might want to keep an eye out for, just in case. Might well be Cadee was just playing.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Rick wrote:

The thing about biting at the water reminded me of a phenomenon called "water freaking" some Chessies are prone to, where they're so crazy for water that they'll swim in circles splashing and biting at the water just for the pure-d hell of it. Seemed likely the coyote could have become a water freak if I'd let him, as there were times early on when he'd veer off course to a mark apparently just to swim, almost as if in a trance, and have to be handled back on course. When that started, I nipped it in the bud by making sure he completed his retrieves without deviation and didn't have free time in the water without "a job" to do when swimming in circles might have become habitual.

Peake/the coyote never did bite at the water, but that's a classic symptom, so freaking is something you might want to keep an eye out for, just in case. Might well be Cadee was just playing.

I hope you don't mid me picking your brain on this subject when I have you as a captive audience. I wouldn't have a clue how to fix that without a check cord, collar or heeling stick. Three things you have mentioned you don't use.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:50 pm

You don't use a check cord in early training Rick?

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Rick wrote:

interesting. I did find the more she swam the more under control she became and the less she splashed. That video was her very first time swimming. But I'll keep and eye on her. And yes, as flight asked, how would you go about nipping that in the bud? Other than a check cord I'm kinda at a loss
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:51 pm

We condition strong OB from the get-go. They "come" without a checkcord not just because they were taught to associate the command with good things like eating, playing or going outside, but because they were never allowed to learn they had an option. Which is pretty easy when they're still small enough to walk down with a few steps but takes a bit more creativity to keep reinforced later, like not repeating the command when we can't enforce it, so they may not even realize they got away with something (rather than repeating the command when we can't enforce it and inadvertently making darn sure they realize they can sometimes get away with blowing it off), then setting them up for some reps where I can enforce it ASAP. It's kind of like an elephant that doesn't break his little stakeout rope because he convinced himself he couldn't while still a baby and too small to do so.

We also use voice control much like others use e-collars for remote correction. If I'm careful about only using harsh tones or getting loud when correcting a pup, he'll associate it with correction and dang well pay attention to it. The analogy there might be how no one pays particular attention when a drunken sailor shouts a string of curses because he does it all the time, but when the pastor quietly curses, everybody listens up.

When Peake would veer from a mark, a whistle or failing that "Hey!" would interrupt whatever the brainworm was up to and gain his attention to be directed back to the mark. Then, rather than risk having him start "popping" in expectation of such interruption and handling, we'd throw much shorter marks for a while.

I'd think the big thing in preventing water freaking mostly not letting it have a chance to become habitual and, therefore, harder to curb. Some folks have thought it cute - until they couldn't get Pup out of the water, much less get water work done with him.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:You don't use a check cord in early training Rick?

Eric, I try to use as little as possible in training that I'll later find myself wanting, or having, to do without. Too dang lazy to deal with a checkcord wise pup.
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Rick wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:You don't use a check cord in early training Rick?

Eric, I try to use as little as possible in training that I'll later find myself wanting, or having, to do without. Too dang lazy to deal with a checkcord wise pup.

I used one for the first 6 months or so. She has been pretty rock solid since without it. Neither of my dogs act any different if its on or off. I'm with you on the voice part of it. They know my business voice, haha.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 pm

Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Lookin good!

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:44 am

Folks can say what they will about stubborn Chesapeakes, that gal plainly wants to get it right. (And if she doesn't, it's probably because the intended task wasn't clear to her.)
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373648260.710692.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:58 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373648280.747601.jpg
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Redbeard wrote:

Is that your new place object:lol::lol:

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Is that your new place object:lol::lol:

Ha! I was waiting for that
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:22 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373653327.076779.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373653341.011437.jpg
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:39 pm

She's got some good camo on her.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:She's got some good camo on her.

I tried ordering her in max 4 but this is the best the breeder could do
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Redbeard wrote:

What's the official color? Sandy loam? :lol:

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

What's the official color? Sandy loam? :lol:

I was thinking more silt loam
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Better trademark that before Jim does.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Too late.

Silt Loam™
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 pm

assateague wrote:Too late.

Silt Loam[TRADE MARK SIGN]
that won't stop me
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Good. I'd much rather have someone else go through all the work and make all the money. Then I just have to sue for trademark infringement and gets mah money.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Had a nice little session with Cadee today. She was learning to control herself alittle better in the water. Enough that she was able to retrieve her bumper. Baby steps. Didn't get any good video or pics of it though

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374955023.681604.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374955057.326980.jpg
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 am

That dog looks mean as shit. In a good way.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50 am

That's why I call her my little bitch
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:51 am

She's plenty friendly with kids and dogs. But likes to play rough
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 pm

She loves chasing that wing. Sam gets a kick out of it
Redbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Dog Forum