The off season..

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: The off season..

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:15 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Good food makes a big difference. Need to get back in to some dog work. Water temps are rising in to the low 40s, hope some swimming will help ease some tension of the season being over.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm paying someone to do the training right now. Been pretty busy at work and I didn't want to neglect her training.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Another good day of field and alittle water work in the books
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 am

Took Taz to the park today for a little work. Biggest douche ever, he was definitely having a bad day, would not even heal correctly. We called it quits and went to dads house, nothing good was going to come out of it.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm

1 day 23 hours 23 minutes till pick up
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:38 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Took Taz to the park today for a little work. Biggest douche ever, he was definitely having a bad day, would not even heal correctly. We called it quits and went to dads house, nothing good was going to come out of it.
Shit happens huh
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:47 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Took Taz to the park today for a little work. Biggest douche ever, he was definitely having a bad day, would not even heal correctly. We called it quits and went to dads house, nothing good was going to come out of it.

This is why I have a golden. If he misbehaves no one is surprised since they are terrible hunting dogs.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:

This is why I have a golden. If he misbehaves no one is surprised since they are terrible hunting dogs.
damn Zach great idea
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm

That is a genius idea. Most don't even know wgat breed Taz is, should make it ok.
These days do happen, can't complain, they don't happen often. 1st 5 days of working on wagon wheel were above what I expected, this day made up for it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Poor Taz. His owner is a perfectionist.

If you teach Taz to fly an airplane, you are going to expect him to get instrument rated. After that you will want him to be a shuttle pilot.

He is a remarkable dog. And IMO he has benefited from your firm hand and experience.

Sent from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.
Tomkat

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Still making progress and proving to me I should have FF from the beginning. Before I had a hard time sending him on anything more than a single mark, much less repetitively to pile. That is now a thing of the past and is ready to charge ahead when sent.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:44 pm

When you say "from the beginning", how old/far along was he when you FFed?
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:52 pm

He is a year and a half which isn't really that old. Where it could be seen "wrong" is that I trained steps that are reserved for training after FF if you are following a program. I can't hardly keep a straight face while admitting that by FF'ing it solved the majority of issues I had with his training, too cliche.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's good to know. Now that I'm getting closer (hopefully- still waiting on confirmation that she's officially knocked up), I'm trying to take it all in. Don't want to miss out on something, and want to keep the trainer's learning curve going the right direction, so to speak.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Fowl dawgs is great and worth following, IMO.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Matt Duncan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Good deal! I was wondering how you guys were coming along.. Where are you right now in the program?
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Matt Duncan wrote:Good deal! I was wondering how you guys were coming along.. Where are you right now in the program?

Establishing the center line and working back. Excited to get into Double T, to put it nice his cast are sloppy at best. Out to around 50 yards as of yesterday. Was getting around 30 send to pile in the yard with maybe one no go to correct before stretching the distance. This program is money!
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Sounds like your having fun flight!
Redbeard

Postby Matt Duncan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Matt Duncan wrote:Good deal! I was wondering how you guys were coming along.. Where are you right now in the program?

Establishing the center line and working back. Excited to get into Double T, to put it nice his cast are sloppy at best. Out to around 50 yards as of yesterday. Was getting around 30 send to pile in the yard with maybe one no go to correct before stretching the distance. This program is money!

This is the fun part. I just started to stop and cast my young dog Thursday. Love seeing the "oh shit" look when you stop and cast them the first time. Just look at this way as you keep clicking along... At this point in you training it's good to see the no goes, popping and such as this is where it's easy to adress those issues.
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:31 pm

It's amazing what these dogs will do when the owner pulls their head from their ass!
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Matt Duncan wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

This is the fun part. I just started to stop and cast my young dog Thursday. Love seeing the "oh shit" look when you stop and cast them the first time. Just look at this way as you keep clicking along... At this point in you training it's good to see the no goes, popping and such as this is where it's easy to adress those issues.

I love that when I get a no go and correct it he instantly knows what he should have done. The following few sends are always executed with purpose by the pup.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Some lining work today and casting. Ended today handling him carrying a bumper.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372381484.947735.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372381512.175138.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Now that I'm done with the house...for now it's time to get back at it. Some simple wagon wheel today
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:31 pm

I have been working on Brandy's conditioning. By that I mean running for extended amounts of time at the ranch. Think good cardio workouts. I can only do it early in the AM or right at sundown to keep her from over heating. I use my UTV and she runs along with me, giving it 100%.

She has responded very well, she is sleek and ripped. I can tell her wind is good, she really never wears out.

3 and a half and still a fire breather.

I need to get some swimming in for her as a treat. I like to change up her routines once in a while.
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:37 pm

Couple more refresher sessions here at the school then we'll move it out to the bottoms and extend the distances.

Redbeard

Postby jmitch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Good Stuff! Me and my pup have been running a T drill almost everyday(when it cools down enough at night), Swim by, some lining drills, and working on extending his marks and tougher narrower doubles. Its been a real fun summer so far as hes come a very long way since this spring. Its amazing how quick they pick stuff up when it all starts to click for them.
jmitch

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:27 pm

I should teach my kids this trick
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374686837.933652.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Cadee looks like she's plotting something evil against you for making her sit on a box.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Couldn't get out to the bottoms today so settled for the kids school. Alittle line and casting work with a double T. Did well right up til the last cast you can see in video. My bad. Didn't line him up well
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Redbeard wrote:Couldn't get out to the bottoms today so settled for the kids school. Alittle line and casting work with a double T. Did well right up til the last cast you can see in video. My bad. Didn't line him up well

Nice work Red. Charlie is a nice looking lab. My pup just turned a year and we are still working on the T but getting there. Still doing it at around 50 yards until she fully grasps the idea of it all. She has been a little pain when it comes to lining so I'm looking for pointers there. Charlie looks like he takes a good line.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Dog Forum