Miss Cadee

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Miss Cadee

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 am

Eric Haynes wrote:Looks damn good to me. She has a mean delivery once she focuses in. My pup likes to let the bumpers slide out over her mouth after a while of holding it. Drives me nuts.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
as in slide completely out? Or just stovepipe it on the delivery?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:50 am

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Looks damn good to me. She has a mean delivery once she focuses in. My pup likes to let the bumpers slide out over her mouth after a while of holding it. Drives me nuts.

as in slide completely out? Or just stovepipe it on the delivery?

Ill record it. Is perfect on birds just bumpers she does it to. Got 6 retrieves in this morning.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 am

On shot birds?? How old is she again?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 am

Redbeard wrote:On shot birds?? How old is she again?

She is 14 months. She just has an overly soft mouth is what I've been told. And yes, shot live birds on the hunt this AM.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:01 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

She is 14 months. She just has an overly soft mouth is what I've been told. And yes, shot live birds on the hunt this AM.

nice man. Her first hunt?? I'd think a soft mouth is far better than a hard mouth
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:10 am

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

nice man. Her first hunt?? I'd think a soft mouth is far better than a hard mouth

She has went goose hunting and duck for the youth weekend.

I don't understand why but she only does it with bumpers...which is all i use for training. Little frustrating at times but she holds live birds perfectly.

She doesn't seem as confident when I send her on a line in the water either. Always looks back at me at about 30 yards and then every 10 yards after.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 am

She's looking back, saying "wouldn't this have been easier if I had just ran down the bank first?"
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:19 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

I don't understand why but she only does it with bumpers...which is all i use for training. Little frustrating at times but she holds live birds perfectly.

She doesn't seem as confident when I send her on a line in the water either. Always looks back at me at about 30 yards and then every 10 yards after.

on a line to a blind or mark?
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 am

assateague wrote:She's looking back, saying "wouldn't this have been easier if I had just ran down the bank first?"
you gonna teach Dutch to drive the jeep to the next field over to pick up that cripped goose
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:23 am

assateague wrote:She's looking back, saying "wouldn't this have been easier if I had just ran down the bank first?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:26 am

Redbeard wrote:
you gonna teach Dutch to drive the jeep to the next field over to pick up that cripped goose

Hopefully.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Blind

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:[quote="Redbeard"]On shot birds?? How old is she again?

Blind

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2[/quote]so she's gotta learn to trust that there's a bird at the end of that line?
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:[quote="Eric Haynes"][quote="Redbeard"]On shot birds?? How old is she again?

Blind

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2[/quote]so she's gotta learn to trust that there's a bird at the end of that line?[/quote]

Agreed. Trying to make this point to Taz. He has over 600 retrieves on live birds, was still questioning me and himself after I sent him for a bird last night.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Exactly Red. I have done enough FTP work along with Wagon, Baseball and T that you would think she would get it by now, but she hasn't completely. I'm super happy with what she has done so far, so it's not a complaint. I'm sure we will get through it. I've never trained a dog before this to know exactly how to extend her 'back' range other than extending the pile.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Exactly Red. I have done enough FTP work along with Wagon, Baseball and T that you would think she would get it by now, but she hasn't completely. I'm super happy with what she has done so far, so it's not a complaint. I'm sure we will get through it. I've never trained a dog before this to know exactly how to extend her 'back' range other than extending the pile.
do you use a collar?
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:26 pm

My dog does a funny thing where if I send him back and he goes more than about 30 yards on the line he will start to stop, sit, and turn to seek guidance. Once I raise my hand to give the back command again he'll go another 10 yards and we repeat. I've never had a problem with it but I know it wouldn't fly on a trial, I just keep my hand raised for the entire line so when he looks back he knows to keep going.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Exactly Red. I have done enough FTP work along with Wagon, Baseball and T that you would think she would get it by now, but she hasn't completely. I'm super happy with what she has done so far, so it's not a complaint. I'm sure we will get through it. I've never trained a dog before this to know exactly how to extend her 'back' range other than extending the pile.
do you use a collar?

Yes, always.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Olly wrote:My dog does a funny thing where if I send him back and he goes more than about 30 yards on the line he will start to stop, sit, and turn to seek guidance. Once I raise my hand to give the back command again he'll go another 10 yards and we repeat. I've never had a problem with it but I know it wouldn't fly on a trial, I just keep my hand raised for the entire line so when he looks back he knows to keep going.

Sent from my phone.

Yes Olly, that is called popping. That is what my dog is doing, almost verbatim. The real problem with it is every time they look back, they don't follow as straight of a line once they start going again, which ends up being more handling.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Charlie popped a lot when he was younger. I was able to straighten it out with "NO!" and nicks from the collar
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:37 pm

He still does it occasionally when I'm working with his remote sit and casting... I think because he starts anticipating the whistle..Iike he's playing the drills, rather than obeying the command I give him
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 am

I'm not "anti-popping," it can be a good thing in some circumstances. But I am anti-habitual popping, which is what you folks seem to be dealing with.

Pup's gotten it into his/her head that popping is part of the desired process and that notion is being reinforced by continued verbal or hand signals. So step one in breaking the habit is to quit reinforcing it.
Rick

Postby one2many » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm

she sure hits the water hard!! great looking pup you got.
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby jmitch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:00 pm

If your pup is collar conditioned and has been ftp then you could try nicking on a back cast when they pop. Like Rick was saying you don't want them thinking that's a wanted behavior and over time without correction they will most likely think that. If its at a certain range that they pop it may be because they got used to being sent a certain distance to a pile. You always try extending your back pile to further and further lengths. And again don't let them get away with popping when your training either. Just my vary novice advice. Theyres probably way better info out there if you really want to get over this too.
jmitch

Postby Redbeard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:16 pm

jmitch wrote:If your pup is collar conditioned and has been ftp then you could try nicking on a back cast when they pop. Like Rick was saying you don't want them thinking that's a wanted behavior and over time without correction they will most likely think that. If its at a certain range that they pop it may be because they got used to being sent a certain distance to a pile. You always try extending your back pile to further and further lengths. And again don't let them get away with popping when your training either. Just my vary novice advice. Theyres probably way better info out there if you really want to get over this too.
this is how I overcame it with my lab
Redbeard

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum