"Meat dogs"?

Everything Duck Dogs!

"Meat dogs"?

Postby Matt Duncan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm

We see this term used all the time and I'm sure we all invision different things. What's a meat dog to you and what would you expect from one? Always interesting to see other guys point of view on this subject..
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Re: "Meat dogs"?

Postby Tomkat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:59 pm

A dog that likes to eat meat?

Sent from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.
Tomkat

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Tomkat wrote:A dog that likes to eat meat?

Sent from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.

Or are we talking about dogs we would eat?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 am

How is a meat dog any different than a MH or SH? They both take the same training and accomplish the same goals right?

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 am

Eric Haynes wrote:How is a meat dog any different than a MH or SH? They both take the same training and accomplish the same goals right?

Yup...but I would think someone who uses the term meat dog, tends to shy away from tests or trials. Even though they may train the same.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:17 am

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:How is a meat dog any different than a MH or SH? They both take the same training and accomplish the same goals right?

Yup...but I would think someone who uses the term meat dog, tends to shy away from tests or trials. Even though they may train the same.

But they are still the same dog:lol:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:23 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

I wouldn't say they go through the same training.
Westie25

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:23 am

Maybe the same style.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 am

Westie25 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

It is the exact same training. You might be thinking of trials.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Westie25 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

No. We train both. It's the same style. Our meat dogs have personality too. Test dogs are just machines.
Westie25

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:46 am

I could give a shit less if a dog runs in a straight line. God damn control freaks, let the poor bastard take his own trail and sniff at a bush once in a while
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 am

I think people have a misconception about hunt tests making dogs do stuff a meat dog doesnt need. A hunt test throws marks and blinds and your dog needs to go get them. Look at a JH, SH, or MH requirement and show me anything in there that you dont want a meat dog to do.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 am

jehler wrote:I could give a shit less if a dog runs in a straight line. God damn control freaks, let the poor bastard take his own trail and sniff at a bush once in a while

Pretty sure a dog wont fail if it doesnt take a straight line. Ive never ran a test but ive watched plenty. Never met a test dog that wasnt a hunter. In fact, those dogs hunt a majority of the days of the season...again..you are thinking of trial dogs

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 am

It's the discipline and obedience. Perfect lines. No refusals. I've never hunted with a perfect meat dog and it honestly makes the hunt more enjoyable. I've hunted with machines of dogs, but they have no personality.
Westie25

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:I could give a shit less if a dog runs in a straight line. God damn control freaks, let the poor bastard take his own trail and sniff at a bush once in a while

Pretty sure a dog wont fail if it doesnt take a straight line. Ive never ran a test but ive watched plenty. Never met a test dog that wasnt a hunter. In fact, those dogs hunt a majority of the days of the season...again..you are thinking of trial dogs

Depends what you're going for.
Westie25

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 am

Eric Haynes wrote:I think people have a misconception about hunt tests making dogs do stuff a meat dog doesnt need. A hunt test throws marks and blinds and your dog needs to go get them. Look at a JH, SH, or MH requirement and show me anything in there that you dont want a meat dog to do.

i don't want my dog to have to work for a piece of paper to compensate for my own insecurities.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 am

Westie25 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Westie25 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:[quote="Eric Haynes"]How is a meat dog any different than a MH or SH? They both take the same training and accomplish the same goals right?

No. We train both. It's the same style. Our meat dogs have personality too. Test dogs are just machines.[/quote]
Prove to me a test dog isnt a meat dog. The training is the same. Paging Duncan

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 am

Westie25 wrote:It's the discipline and obedience. Perfect lines. No refusals. I've never hunted with a perfect meat dog and it honestly makes the hunt more enjoyable. I've hunted with machines of dogs, but they have no personality.

Must be a southern thing. Ive never met a dog with no personality.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 am

A hunt test resembles a hunt, I'll give you that. I don't necessarily think we are disagreeing, I'm saying that they're generally different mannered dogs. I'll give you 2 examples of dogs we have. Both have been to the grand and have lots of initials. Both don't hunt well. Just not enjoyable to hunt with. Both are machines but go apeshit when 6 guns start going off. Now that being said, they will take perfect casts right to the downed bird. That being said, Cason's dog ebbit is a meat dog. He won't take a perfect line, will cheat the bank. But by god will pick up every duck that hits the water. He may not mark every bird but hunts like no other dog I've ever hunted with. Through thousands of birds picked up he's learned to rely on his vision and nose to find the bird, and not the handler.
Westie25

Postby Westie25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Westie25 wrote:It's the discipline and obedience. Perfect lines. No refusals. I've never hunted with a perfect meat dog and it honestly makes the hunt more enjoyable. I've hunted with machines of dogs, but they have no personality.

Must be a southern thing. Ive never met a dog with no personality.

We've got a dog that's got 2 grand passes that had to be retired because of multiple acl surgeries that hasn't been ran in years and could care less if he's ever petted. Not a mean bone on his body, just was trained to be a machine.
Westie25

Re:

Postby Tomkat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 am

jehler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I think people have a misconception about hunt tests making dogs do stuff a meat dog doesnt need. A hunt test throws marks and blinds and your dog needs to go get them. Look at a JH, SH, or MH requirement and show me anything in there that you dont want a meat dog to do.

i don't want my dog to have to work for a piece of paper to compensate for my own insecurities.

I have noticed that you have very strong feelings on the subject of dog training....
Tomkat

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 am

Not really just seems to be a sensitive subject in which many get butt hurt and take way to seriously
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 am

Truth is I have hunted with dogs of all caliber and seen plenty of masters fuck up
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Re:

Postby Tomkat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am

jehler wrote:Truth is I have hunted with dogs of all caliber and seen plenty of masters fuck up

Me too. There is a line between being a tyrant and letting your dogs do whatever they want...neither end is very good
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 am

jehler wrote:Not really just seems to be a sensitive subject in which many get butt hurt and take way to seriously
and so WFF's dog forum was born
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:21 am

:lol:
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 am

I would say the way a dog handles the further away it us from handker or owner.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Re:

Postby Matt Duncan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:32 am

jehler wrote:

So people that campaign their dogs are compensating for their insecurities?
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am

Matt Duncan wrote:
jehler wrote:

So people that campaign their dogs are compensating for their insecurities?
yes, basically, actually compensating for their small penis' butt I was trying to be polite
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am

Which begs the question, is peni the plural for penis?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum