Food aggression?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Food aggression?

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 pm

As the tripod is getting older he's getting to be more and more of a dickhead. I don't know that its necessarily food aggression, but his attitude at feeding time is driving me freaking nut. He shivers and shakes, and fidgets all over in what I assume is excitement. I don't understand what his problem is because he gets fed twice per day, he's acting as if he hasn't eaten in a week. He empties his bowl faster than that little Asian guy on tv eats Nathan's hot dogs.

My wife asked a veterinary friend of hers about it and she told me to make him sit and give him a "turn" command, and not to let him eat until he turns his head away. I've done this, he quickly turns his head away, and he quivers like a junkie who is inches away from getting his meth. I honestly don't know if its helping or making his anticipation worse.

Tonight I knelt down beside him and tried slowly feeding him his dinner one handful at time, thinking he would use more caution knowing my hand is there. He started getting crazy and I backhanded him.

I remember hearing jarbo talk about a "slow-feed" bowl, would one of these help slow him down? Does he have worms? Post traumatic stress or brain damage from his accident? My wife says to shoot him.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: Food aggression?

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

My setter gets all worked up over food. She shakes and shivers and fidgets the whole time you are putting it in the bowl. But once we tell her to eat it she takes a few small bites then leaves. Usually she finishes it about an hour later. But she is one of the only dogs I've ever seen that will play with a treat for 20min before eating it. Must be brain damage from getting ran over when she was 8 months old.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm

That would help him eat slower, but not fix whatever the problem is. Put some 3" or so rocks in his bowl, will serve the same purpose.
Taz drools while waiting for me to release both morning and night, his manners are great though. I noticed with my lab that priorities changed as he got older, the sad day is when they don't have an appetite. I tell Taz sit, fill his bowl with food, then fill his water bowl and make him stay until released.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 pm

He has always been excited to eat since he was a pup, but would sit (calmly) possibly drooling and wait to be told he can eat. Now meth head is the only way to describe him.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Damn I own a freak of a lab.

She has been on self feed for three years. I have never seen her eat. She is not fat.

The exception? Of course she lives outside and our twice daily interaction is never related to food.

Sent from a fancy ass phone
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Give him half a honey granola bar before you feed him, bout 30 min. As he gets older, could be having blood sugar probs.

Tom you are lucky, my lab would eat til he threw up, then eat some more, I think Taz would do the same.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Matt Duncan » Thu May 09, 2013 10:53 pm

If its that drastic of a change from his usual self it could be a parasite thing and never hurts to take a sample to the vet to check out. If its just the crazed feeding time attitude like my young dog has (eats like he has never been fed) he eats last every time and has to sit and watch the other dogs finish. Slow feed bowls are nice as well but if I think that's what I need I just put a softball size rock in the bowl and make them pick around it.
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Its definitely not a sudden change, seems like its been slow - over the last year or two I guess. I'll try the rock trick, just make sure its big or the dumbass will end up eating it too.
I just got the mailer from the vet today to let me know he is due for his rabies shot so I'll bring it up with him too.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am

Sounds like he's just being a dog. Simplest way I've heard to slow gulpers down is feeding on a pan that spreads the food out.
Rick

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 am

I'll have to post a vid tonight of chach getting his kibble tonight
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Does he hog down?

Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm

jehler wrote:I'll have to post a vid tonight of chach getting his kibble tonight

Does he eat like a gentleman? One of my hunting buddies is out of town for two weeks, I am keeping an eye on his house and feeding his choco lab. The dog is a big bruiser who gets a boner in the blind if he hears anything that sounds remotely close to a potato chip bag. While feeding him is when I realized just what a food monger Tug is. Buddies dog sits w/o being told when he sees the food bowl, watches me set it down and waits for the ok. Then eats calmly as if he is savoring each bite.

For tugs morning feeding I put a small bowl upside down in his bowl and poured in the food around it, it took him at least 3 times longer to eat.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm

FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Took that vid 5 minutes ago, he's still sniffing around the hallway lol
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby AKPirate » Fri May 10, 2013 7:27 pm

jehler wrote:Took that vid 5 minutes ago, he's still sniffing around the hallway lol

Sounds like Chachi had tap dancing shoes on :lol: :lol: :lol:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Only have carpet but need to try that!

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 pm

We have this giant weeblo style kong that we feed him with now also, a friggin riot, he's like a bulldozer pushing that thing around
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368232461.510989.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Those are badass, throw a scoop of peanut butter in there. If you can spare any from chachs other duties!

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat May 11, 2013 10:57 am

Thought my kids were the only ones to feed the dog like that.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Tue May 14, 2013 3:03 pm

My wife insists on feeding the dogs. Insists they must be grazers. I told her save up her coins so she can pay for the twisted gut operation when it happens.
I have had to assert myself several times when it comes to my retriever. She actually WILL tell you which ear the words of hurtfulness were spoken into...(see Hurt Feelings Report)
She spoils the dog and causes all sorts of problems in the field that she don't see. This is the third dog and she's getting better. Maybe by the time we get to heaven she'll leave my damned dog alone.

Milo won't eat for the first two or three weeks of duck season because he has to adjust for me feeding him after the hunt.
He's a bit fat. Would one of y'all mind B-slappin my wife around on this issue? :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Tomkat wrote:Damn I own a freak of a lab.

She has been on self feed for three years. I have never seen her eat. She is not fat.

The exception? Of course she lives outside and our twice daily interaction is never related to food.

x2...I will come home from work here in about 25 minutes and there will be food in both bowls leftover from whenenver I put food in them, probably last night. Haven't had any problems with my two mutts pigging out at their food bowls.
goodkarmarising

Postby Tomkat » Tue May 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I have started cutting up apple slices for Brandy.

She loves them. Gets fiber and vitamin C in her diet, and helps keep her teeth clean.

But that is a once a week thing.
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Here was dinnertime tonight, worked up a good drool dripping from the beard.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jehler » Thu May 23, 2013 2:12 pm

if I let chach go at a bowl of dry food he will choke and puke it up...repeat at least three times :lol:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:02 pm

jehler wrote:if I let chach go at a bowl of dry food he will choke and puke it up...repeat at least three times :lol:

Is it unchewed the first time he throws up?

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu May 23, 2013 7:09 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:
Tomkat wrote:Damn I own a freak of a lab.

x2...I will come home from work here in about 25 minutes and there will be food in both bowls leftover from whenenver I put food in them, probably last night. Haven't had any problems with my two mutts pigging out at their food bowls.

All the dogs we had until recently were on free feed. Never over ate and only ate when hungry. The two we have now we have to feed twice a day or they would eat until they popped. :) I guess every dog is different.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:34 pm

I filmed last night, knew it would be funny since I got home well after feed time.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jehler » Thu May 23, 2013 7:41 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
jehler wrote:if I let chach go at a bowl of dry food he will choke and puke it up...repeat at least three times :lol:

Is it unchewed the first time he throws up?

it never gets chewed, I have to soak it or throw it down the hall
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 am

jarbo03 wrote:I filmed last night, knew it would be funny since I got home well after feed time.

for the first 30 seconds I thought you had a worthog in the house!
BrewGUN

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum