Brag on your dog(s) thread

Everything Duck Dogs!

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:57 pm

On Kodis second day ever hunting with me, my son and a friend, he retrieved three full limits of mallards.
The remarkable thing wasn't the park ducks but, he had never seen ice before and there was 1/4-1/2" ice and he figured out how to break the ice on one of his first retrieves.
Here is a pic at the house when we got home.

Post up your brag pics, every dog owner has one or a story.
QH's Paw

Re: Brag on your dog(s) thread

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Geez QH! When I call 'em park ducks I am just kidding but now that I see TWO park benches....I now know what you REALLY mean... :o :o :o :o
duckkillerclyde

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Here are some more pictures from before Kodi's Hip dysplasia. It is a series of Kodi launching from a sitting position on the rim of the pond.

QH's Paw

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

looks good.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Not really a brag but here is my young dog and your old dog. I couldn't get both of the dog's attention at the same time...

duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:43 pm

My dog got these birds in about 2 hours

duckkillerclyde

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 am

No pics, but my pup Hooter was fully FF'd in two days.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Weston81 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Just got my pup back from the trainer yesterday after three months. Went and picked her up and the trainer took me out to a field with grass about 6-8" high, where he had two boxes set up about 180 degree's apart. First box was 60-70 yards and the second was 80-100 yards. Each box launched a duck up 30 or so feet in the air, it was really cool to say "watch" and she'd start scanning the sky and as they came out say "mark" and then heel her torwards the other box and repeat the proccess then send her. We ran the drill 4 times without a single issue all retrieves to hand. It was just great to see it all come together. Now it's up to me to keep her sharp between now and duck season. I am as proud as I can be.
Weston81

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Weston81 wrote:Just got my pup back from the trainer yesterday after three months. Went and picked her up and the trainer took me out to a field with grass about 6-8" high, where he had two boxes set up about 180 degree's apart. First box was 60-70 yards and the second was 80-100 yards. Each box launched a duck up 30 or so feet in the air, it was really cool to say "watch" and she'd start scanning the sky and as they came out say "mark" and then heel her torwards the other box and repeat the proccess then send her. We ran the drill 4 times without a single issue all retrieves to hand. It was just great to see it all come together. Now it's up to me to keep her sharp between now and duck season. I am as proud as I can be.

Just curious, we're you involved in any of the training for her?
Some trainers have the owner or future handler take part in the training, others believe it's a distraction.
How old is she and what breed?
QH's Paw

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:48 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
Weston81 wrote:Just got my pup back from the trainer yesterday after three months. Went and picked her up and the trainer took me out to a field with grass about 6-8" high, where he had two boxes set up about 180 degree's apart. First box was 60-70 yards and the second was 80-100 yards. Each box launched a duck up 30 or so feet in the air, it was really cool to say "watch" and she'd start scanning the sky and as they came out say "mark" and then heel her torwards the other box and repeat the proccess then send her. We ran the drill 4 times without a single issue all retrieves to hand. It was just great to see it all come together. Now it's up to me to keep her sharp between now and duck season. I am as proud as I can be.

Some trainers have the owner or future handler take part in the training, others believe it's a distraction.

I'm curious about the same thing
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby duckkillerclyde » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 pm

seems like it would be cheaper to buy a started dog.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Weston81 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Redbeard wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:

I'm curious about the same thing

The trainer had my dog for three months and including working with him when I dropped her off and picked her up we had 4 sessions where I worked with the dog and trainer. Also talked to him weekly to get updates and answer any questions I had. She's a 3 year old lab.
Weston81

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 am

I've trained my dog so well, she'll sit on any couch within sight. Also, I've got a picture but can't get it right now, but I told her to kennel, and she sat on top of it.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:22 pm

So yesterday I had the opportunity to work Charlie with a beautiful little 18 month old chessie. The owner was one of the dads from my son's baseball team. While he's never finished a duck dog, he's owned several chessies. He was interested in watching Charlie work and I was interested in working with a chessie, which I've never had the opportunity to do.

Between the high humidity and havin new people and a new dog around, I was anticipating Charlie acting up, like a little kid showing off. However, he performed dang near flawlessly in everything we did, making me a proud papa. George was very impressed and wants me to help him with his chessie. His chessie looks to have a ton of potential. He just has to iron out a few things and tighten him up. We're gonna try an get together at least once a week to work the pups

Bragging about Charlie, or anything for that matter, makes me uncomfortable. But he made me proud yesterday, so's I figured I'd give it a shot since this thread is title Bragging...
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Goldfish wrote:I've trained my dog so well, she'll sit on any couch within sight. Also, I've got a picture but can't get it right now, but I told her to kennel, and she sat on top of it.

Ha, my lab likes to do that until my other dog gets in his. Then she will jump down and get in hers.
Westie25

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Sounds like fun Red. What does the chessie like to be a more finished dog?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Sounds like fun Red. What does the chessie like to be a more finished dog?

Brant, the chessie, need his OB to be tightened up. Granted he's 18 months old, but he needs to obey his commands when given. The owner has been struggling alittle with blinds, line work, honoring, etc. I attribute most of his struggles to Brant's OB. We'll get it down. The dog wants to work. We just gotta show him how.

And many thanks to Josh Ward for answering a question about hard mouthed dogs, something I've never had to deal with
Redbeard

Return to Gun Dog Forum