Chickens and Pup

Everything Duck Dogs!

Chickens and Pup

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 am

As most know, I'm picking up a pup around the middle of July. It's a griff, and will be used to point rails and snipe, and occasionally quail, but mostly retrieving. That being said, I don't want to limit the dog, and I've never trained any sort of upland bird dog before.

Here is my question:

We have chickens, which roam the yard. I need to figure out how to "no" him off chickens, but not screw him up on any other birds. Is this something I shouldn't worry about, and that he will "know" the difference when he's in the field? I know in regards to OB the same response is expected in all situations, so (I may be overthinking this) does the same hold true for birds? If he is "no'd" off the chickens, how can I ensure he won't carry that behavior into the field? I could care less if he points them all day, and it may even be some sort of training "bonus", but a running flapping chicken looks remarkably like a crippled bird in the field. If he kills one here or there, that's fine if it's the price I have to pay for him performing in the field, but I'd rather NOT have that happen. And while he's young, there is a good possibility that a rooster will fuck him up.

Any input? I've googled and searched, but really can't find any advice on this one.
assateague

Re: Chickens and Pup

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:47 am

Teach him/her chickens are off limits as a pup and should be no problem.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:09 am

jarbo03 wrote:Teach him/her chickens are off limits as a pup and should be no problem.

Yup. Lots of people have chickens and dogs. The dogs pay no attention.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 am

So they can distinguish the difference between game and non-game critters?
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 am

assateague wrote:So they can distinguish the difference between game and non-game critters?
when taught too
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:56 am

assateague wrote:So they can distinguish the difference between game and non-game critters?
yep, even chach that wasn't brought up around chickens could go to jguns and roam around the chickens and tame ducks without a bloodbath, he wanted to but he seemed to understand that they were "property" if you will
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:59 am

Redbeard wrote:
when taught too

That's the thing- it seems like a foreign concept to me. Do they start off pointing EVERYTHING they smell, and then learning after being "no'd" off of certain things? For instance, the first rail the pup sees will more than likely be in the marsh when it jumps and I shoot it. How the hell do they know to point that but not a robin in the backyard?
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 am

I never taught chach, he read what was up, I don't think you'll have any problems with the pup, is let him chase and play with the chickens, just no him if he gets one and has a hard mouth
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:09 am

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
when taught too

That's the thing- it seems like a foreign concept to me. Do they start off pointing EVERYTHING they smell, and then learning after being "no'd" off of certain things? For instance, the first rail the pup sees will more than likely be in the marsh when it jumps and I shoot it. How the hell do they know to point that but not a robin in the backyard?

They learn what they are after. Taz started pointing everything, when a meadowlark or other bird flushed, I would say leave it. Now he pays little attention to them, even while upland hunting. He ignores the robins in the yard, when dove are in the yard, it is full hunt mode

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:09 am

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
when taught too

dogs are much smarter than you think. They'll be able differentiate between the two. Like John said, my Charlie couldnt give two shits about anything in the backyard, well other than a coon. But a switch comes on when we're hunting
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:10 am

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
when taught too

He will point a robin.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:11 am

jarbo03 wrote: He ignores the robins in the yard, when dove are in the yard, it is full hunt mode

I bet that provides you endless entertainment
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 am

Leave it is a good command
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 am

jehler wrote:Leave it is a good command
I prefer "Do not touch that bird!"
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

Redbeard wrote:
jarbo03 wrote: He ignores the robins in the yard, when dove are in the yard, it is full hunt mode

I bet that provides you endless entertainment

These birds are always in this spot, have seen many solid points from the garage.
uploadfromtaptalk1370104370556.jpg

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
when taught too

trust in the natural instinct of the dog. they learn quick. do you carry a shotgun with you in the backyard when the robins are there? oh, wait, I forgot who I was talking to. Anyway, the dog will learn the difference quick enough. Gun=get the bird....No gun=leave the chicken alone.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for the confidence boosters. This will be my first time around a dog which is bred to point as well. It's a whole 'nother world, and one I know absolutely nothing about. But at least I know that I don't know, I suppose.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:15 pm

assateague wrote: But at least I know that I don't know, I suppose.
that won't last long. You'll be an NAVHDA know it all soon
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:17 pm

No, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to dogs and training. I can't even make too much sense out of the NAVHDA book :lol:
assateague

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 am

Don't panic if your pup isn't interested in pointing everything with wings. Some will point most anything that twitches, others just stuff that smells like birds (including box turtles due to some common ancestor), and some pups won't instinctively point anything but gallinaceous birds, the taxonomic family that includes most upland game like quail, pheasants, grouse and so forth. Also includes chickens.

Which doesn't mean thousands of folks in your situation haven't managed to work around that connection. Just a quirk I've found interesting. A pup that does its level best to tackle pigeons, which aren't gallinaceous, is apt point the very first quail or chukar it encounters, because they are. And a pup that has to be taught that pigeons are something to point will most likely start pointing doves, thereafter, too, because of their family connection. Also common for pointing pups with a gallinaceous-only imprint to ignore woodcock, because they're in the shorebird family. But teach them to point woodcock, and they'll little doubt start pointing snipe for you, too.

Again, though, pointing one gallinaceous species doesn't mean they can't be taught to ignore another. Or those of the same species in different situations. They're both situational learners and gifted with incredible noses to help sort the possibilities. (Something like separating pen raised from wild quail is a snap for the good ones.)
Rick

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to it, and want to do all I can to not mess up the dog.
assateague

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 am

Rick wrote:Also common for pointing pups with a gallinaceous-only imprint to ignore ****, because they're in the shorebird family. But teach them to point ****, and they'll little doubt start pointing snipe for you, too.

Sorry assed auto-censor won't let me write woodc*ock on a hunting board.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:40 am

Ha!
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:43 am

Rick wrote:
Rick wrote:Also common for pointing pups with a gallinaceous-only imprint to ignore ****, because they're in the shorebird family. But teach them to point ****, and they'll little doubt start pointing snipe for you, too.

Sorry assed auto-censor won't let me write woodc*ock on a hunting board.

Need to go into user settings, and turn off the bad word filter. It showed up as "woodcock" when I read your original post, but apparently it filtered it out for you. Which sort of cracks me up.
assateague

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks. Woodcock, woodcock, woodcock. I'm free!

(There's almost a sig line in there.)
Rick

Return to Gun Dog Forum