cc trick

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: cc trick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 pm

aunt betty wrote:I should do a video of how I ff'ed.
Milo was dropping ducks on the bank, in front of blind, in front of 6-8 panting shooters.
Lucky they didnt shoot us both.
I HAD to do something so I ff'ed the heck out of him.
It was hard to do to...my baby.
So glad I did it now.

We've always managed to avoid FF, but if I were a pro who didn't get to start each pup from scratch, I'd probably be FFing for expediency's sake.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Matt Duncan wrote:
Rick wrote:Where can a fellow get one of those purple spotted fetching goats, and has Graham produced a program for them yet?

California would be my guess. They won't help you with the grass though, unless it's for medicinal purposes of course...

My ex- had an uncle who got goats thinking he'd save on mowing a couple acres by the house, but instead of eating grass, they climbed thorn apples and racked up vet bills from thorn related abscesses. I'd of barbecued, but his wife vetoed that.
Rick

Postby triplecurl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Great videos guys. Nice to see guys agree that there is more than one way to train a dog and be successful at it.

Speaking of e-collars, I hooked one up to a volt meter one time. The surge on the highest setting was over 1350 volts. Ouch!!!
triplecurl

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:01 pm

triplecurl wrote:Great videos guys. Nice to see guys agree that there is more than one way to train a dog and be successful at it.
x2

Nice marking Rick. We're you lining him up on each bumper? Couldn't tell in the video
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby AKPirate » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Coyote is a smart and well-trained dog. Thanks for posting Rick.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Rick wrote:That cross body send is quite British.
It's not real obvious in my video but...I cheat by positioning my body between the dog and the mark. That is what I am trying to do anyway.
Sometimes I get WAY out front of him to exagerate??(spelling) a line.
It's cheating, isn't it?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Redbeard wrote:We're you lining him up on each bumper? Couldn't tell in the video

No, pretty sure I was letting him select the order and only turning to accommodate where he was looking for the next when he delivered. One reason would be because I seldom select the order of his marks while hunting. But more importantly, any time there are more than three or four marks I tend to be wrong about some of them, and I don't want to mislead the dog. I want him to be confident that when I do actually line him up, there will be something on that line.

Now, when bringing on a pup, I generally line him up even for obvious marks just to condition the notion that my line leads to the bumper or bird in preparation for learning to take lines to blinds. As time goes on, I'll let him do his own selecting on multiples more often but still occasionally select for him by lining him up, just to keep it clear that authority to do so remains mine.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Rick wrote:That cross body send is quite British.
It's not real obvious in my video but...I cheat by positioning my body between the dog and the mark. That is what I am trying to do anyway.
Sometimes I get WAY out front of him to exagerate??(spelling) a line.
It's cheating, isn't it?

I'd not call it cheating. I just figured you picked it up from watching British type training on the Wildrose video or some such. Americans "cheat" in pretty much the same way when they square a dog up at heel facing the mark and drop a hand over his head to let him know he's got the line. (Most accomplished handlers aren't really pointing out the line with that hand, as the gesture suggests. They've got the dog's spine pointing down the line they want.) Both testing and trialing allow that form of what amounts to handling on marks, so I use it for marks in testing when applicable to let the dog know I want him to do it my way, rather than use his own discretion about something like running around, rather than through, water or perhaps be led off track to some sort of scent diversion or "poison" bird.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 pm

AB, here's a fellow winning a British trial with the type of send I took you to be using with Milo:

Rick

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:We're you lining him up on each bumper? Couldn't tell in the video

No, pretty sure I was letting him select the order and only turning to accommodate where he was looking for the next when he delivered. One reason would be because I seldom select the order of his marks while hunting. But more importantly, any time there are more than three or four marks I tend to be wrong about some of them, and I don't want to mislead the dog. I want him to be confident that when I do actually line him up, there will be something on that line.

Now, when bringing on a pup, I generally line him up even for obvious marks just to condition the notion that my line leads to the bumper or bird in preparation for learning to take lines to blinds. As time goes on, I'll let him do his own selecting on multiples more often but still occasionally select for him by lining him up, just to keep it clear that authority to do so remains mine.
ok we think along the same lines. No pun intended. Swimming crips are my only big concern
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Here, the call for my selection is generally when the dog needs to ignore birds of known disposition down on the pond and get to birds of unknown disposition in the marsh or stubbles beyond them. Enough of that, though, and the dogs are usually selecting for the long birds first on their own - unless one of the closer ones is still swimming in circles or some such. Instinct generally makes visible strong swimmers or runners Pup's first choice, even if he's tripping over dead stuff to get at them.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Rick wrote:Here, the call for my selection is generally when the dog needs to ignore birds of known disposition down on the pond and get to birds of unknown disposition in the marsh or stubbles beyond them. Enough of that, though, and the dogs are usually selecting for the long birds first on their own - unless one of the closer ones is still swimming in circles or some such. Instinct generally makes visible strong swimmers or runners Pup's first choice, even if he's tripping over dead stuff to get at them.
very true
Redbeard

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Spooky how similar that guy and me cast.
I reinvented the wheel on everything a lot. Dumb but true.
Watched a guy working his dog about 42 years ago. Hadnt even thought of hunting when I was that young.(10)
Musta been paying attention. Always loved retrievers and wanted one.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum