Has anyone read this book?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Has anyone read this book?

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:02 pm

I found this book today while at Barnes & Nobel. Has anyone read it or know of any good book on training retrievers?
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Anthony_Blitch

Re: Has anyone read this book?

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am

Not the book, but I thought the Wildrose DVD that preceded it had some very useful tactics for introducing pups to new concepts. But I wouldn't recommend the DVD as a standalone, A-Z guide for most new trainers. Could be the book format offered Stewart a better opportunity to fill in more gaps for those who need it.

If, btw, you're serious and not trolling, you'll soon find most British style trainers, like Stewart and Milner, get hammered on these boards.
Rick

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Rick wrote:Not the book, but I thought the Wildrose DVD that preceded it had some very useful tactics for introducing pups to new concepts. But I wouldn't recommend the DVD as a standalone, A-Z guide for most new trainers. Could be the book format offered Stewart a better opportunity to fill in more gaps for those who need it.

If, btw, you're serious and not trolling, you'll soon find most British style trainers, like Stewart and Milner, get hammered on these boards.

What do you recommend as a good traing either book or DVD for traing a duck dog? I was just looking though some books and came upon it and figured I would ask about it.
Anthony_Blitch

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Ive got a friend who went to Ole Miss and worked at wildrose while he was there. He still uses these methods and has an awesome retriever who is likely about to enter his last season before retirement. he has helped me a little but with my dog who is now 6 months old without using a shock collar. I love it bc i do not like the idea of a shock collar at all and do not plan to compete in trials. Just want my dog to be a hunting buddy that fetches ducks. The rest is for show.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Anthony_Blitch wrote:
Rick wrote:Not the book, but I thought the Wildrose DVD that preceded it had some very useful tactics for introducing pups to new concepts. But I wouldn't recommend the DVD as a standalone, A-Z guide for most new trainers. Could be the book format offered Stewart a better opportunity to fill in more gaps for those who need it.

What do you recommend as a good traing either book or DVD for traing a duck dog? I was just looking though some books and came upon it and figured I would ask about it.

I'm a poor person to ask for a single guide, as I've borrowed from several but found none I would want to follow too closely. Hopefully, folks who've been in your shoes more recently will be along with suggestions.
Rick

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm getting ready to start, in about 3 weeks. I've been reading and rereading Retriever Training: Back to Basics by Milner. I haven't even tried one bit yet, so have no clue if it works or not. But I find myself agreeing with darn near everything he says. I'm of the mind that if I like what someone says, I'll be more inclined to try a little harder, and look in the mirror more often if something goes awry.

I'll let you know how it's working out when I start.
assateague

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Ive got a friend who went to Ole Miss and worked at wildrose while he was there. He still uses these methods and has an awesome retriever who is likely about to enter his last season before retirement. he has helped me a little but with my dog who is now 6 months old without using a shock collar. I love it bc i do not like the idea of a shock collar at all and do not plan to compete in trials. Just want my dog to be a hunting buddy that fetches ducks. The rest is for show.

That's really all I am looking for as well.. I am pretty new to the duck hunting world. If I do decide to do trials it will be long in the future! Lol! I will definitely give it a try then.. Thanks for the input!
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

assateague wrote:I'm getting ready to start, in about 3 weeks. I've been reading and rereading Retriever Training: Back to Basics by Milner. I haven't even tried one bit yet, so have no clue if it works or not. But I find myself agreeing with darn near everything he says. I'm of the mind that if I like what someone says, I'll be more inclined to try a little harder, and look in the mirror more often if something goes awry.

Dammit, forgot about the other book. Found it after we moved in pm me your address again and I'll ship it tomorrow. Vic Barlow
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 pm

assateague wrote:I'm getting ready to start, in about 3 weeks. I've been reading and rereading Retriever Training: Back to Basics by Milner. I haven't even tried one bit yet, so have no clue if it works or not. But I find myself agreeing with darn near everything he says. I'm of the mind that if I like what someone says, I'll be more inclined to try a little harder, and look in the mirror more often if something goes awry.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would! Good luck with your training.
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Rick wrote:
Anthony_Blitch wrote:

I'm a poor person to ask for a single guide, as I've borrowed from several but found none I would want to follow too closely. Hopefully, folks who've been in your shoes more recently will be along with suggestions.

All input is good input because I am about as newb to duck hunting as it gets lol.
Anthony_Blitch

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 pm

I used the 10 minute retriever and it did me well. When I finally pull the trigger on getting a Drahthaar I am going to use the Drahthaar green puppy manual and then the training manuals for VJP and HZP.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

I've got the NAVHDA green book as well. It is pretty close to Milner in most places, from what I've read of it. I just like Milner's attitude towards dog training, and find it to be remarkably close to what we do with horses who need some "work".
assateague

Return to Gun Dog Forum