Swung by my buddy's cattle ranch...

Everything Duck Dogs!

Swung by my buddy's cattle ranch...

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:05 am

...today to work the dogs in his fields. When I got there, his head cowboy and a good friend of mine, Pete, was rounding cattle on horseback. Watching his three cattle dogs work was something else. The three of em worked like a damn good team. I reckon to non dog folks, they probably looked like they were just running round outta control. But I suspect us duck hunters, being dog people for the most part, appreciate a well trained dog, be it a retriever it otherwise. Being around retrievers 99% of the time, it was fun to watch these cattle dogs do their thing
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: Swung by my buddy's cattle ranch...

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:27 am

No videos? That'd be cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Westie25

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 am

Cattle dogs are really smart dogs.
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 am

Westie25 wrote:No videos? That'd be cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ya know I thought of that after I left. I'll try and swing by this week and catch a vid of em working
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 am

That is pretty cool. There are few things as irritating as being around an ill-mannered dog. And the opposite is also very true.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:49 am

A friend of mine back home, got his hands on a nicely trained kelpie. Unfortunately the trainer was Mexican and it's commands were all taught in Spanish. Rather than even learn the Spanish commands, Jared just tells blalalala at the dog and he swears it knows what he wants done...for the most part
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:59 am

Good cattle dogs are BADASS! Some of the smartest dogs around. I met a guy who was big into the breedings of the Hanging Tree Cattle Dog, they were amazing.

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 am

The Dingo is either deviously clever or amazingly dumb. I haven't really decided which, yet.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 am

Not a cattle rancher but I grew around em and with em. Really got a thing for those little heelers. Last one a owner was hit by a car at 3. Great little dog. In fact if I suddenly had no need for a retriever, my next would be another red heeler.
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:33 am

assateague wrote:The Dingo is either deviously clever or amazingly dumb. I haven't really decided which, yet.

I think dixie is smarter than her owner.

thats normally the way it is with dogs.
Tomkat

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I had an Australian Shepard/Blue Heeler cross when I was a kid, best dog I've ever had.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm

how i missed this thread i will never know. great stock dogs are a must for me. i prefer McNab, Border Collies, and my cross dogs that are BMC/catahoula leopard/Bully.
i favor a taller dog, i have seen them short legged dogs do some great work but they just dont look right to me. and harder to see/handle when in taller grasses
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 am

Back when Versus was an outdoor channel, they aired UK herding trials that were a marvel.

Though I'm told they're out there, I've yet to see a really good cattle dog here in LA. Once thought I might when a "top Catahoula houndsman" contacted through one of the sale barns brought a trailer load of dogs to help roundup some marsh cows holed up in trees they refused to be pushed from by riders. Turned out he "handled" them with a .22 pistol loaded with rat shot and that there's no point in baying a cow in a thicket because getting a rope on it still isn't going to get it out without damage. Have seen some heelers and border collies, of course, but mostly tag-alongs more apt to get in the way than help.
Rick

Postby one2many » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48 pm

i have never had luck with full blood Cats. but i like the mix i run,works well for me.
some cattle has to be dog broke, an old cow isnt going to give two shits about some barking little shit. i sure wouldnt feed a dog that bays a cow,little shits better be biting some ass if they refuse to move.
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Return to Gun Dog Forum