Just starting out

Everything Duck Dogs!

Just starting out

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Since everybody said chickens count, here's a couple videos of Dutch. Whenever it's time to go out, we stroll around the homestead a bit. This is generally what happens, and what I try to turn into a "training" event. Luckily, the dog knows more than the human. I don't know shit about pointing, other than what I've read in books.

assateague

Re: Just starting out

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Awesome Jim, instincts look good.

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Lookin good!!!
Once he gets a little older you should bring someone with you to hold the leash. When he goes on point give the whoa command, and make sure the leash is held tight so he doesn't move forward...Then you walk around and "flush" the bird. A pointing dogs natural instinct is to stalk the bird, you have to train them to point. Once he goes onto point, he shouldn't move on a sitting bird, only on a running bird should he circle around and try to head it off them hold another point. After the flush, it's all up to you if you want him to chase the bird or stay until you give the fetch command. I let my dog go after them soon as they flush.
It's always nice to see your new pup get interested with birds.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Cool videos Jim. I don't know much about pointing dogs but I like watch that slow stalk of his. I'm guessing thats his instincts kicking in
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Lookin good!!!
Once he gets a little older you should bring someone with you to hold the leash. When he goes on point give the whoa command, and make sure the leash is held tight so he doesn't move forward...Then you walk around and "flush" the bird. A pointing dogs natural instinct is to stalk the bird, you have to train them to point. Once he goes onto point, he shouldn't move on a sitting bird, only on a running bird should he circle around and try to head it off them hold another point. After the flush, it's all up to you if you want him to chase the bird or stay until you give the fetch command. I let my dog go after them soon as they flush.

What do you release him with for training? I've watched many videos and read the two books I have, but they don't go into this much. For example, when "sitting", I release with "ok", meaning "I'm done being your boss for the moment, do what you want until further notice". But with pointing, I don't know what to do when training starts "for real". Obviously, when training, there isn't going to be a bird to flush every time (or even many times). So after "whoa", what is the proper thing to do to release him from whoa with no bird? Ideally, in the field it will be "back", since there will be a bird that fell. I'd prefer him to remain at whoa when hunting until I tell him to go, but I suppose from what you said that's personal preference. I was thinking (maybe overthinking) that if I use "ok" when training, in the field he'll want to wait for that instead of "back". Perhaps I'm not giving the dog enough credit for having a brain.

thanks!
assateague

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 pm

@ 2:21... Are you speaking Korean to the dingo?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 pm

assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Lookin good!!!

What do you release him with for training? I've watched many videos and read the two books I have, but they don't go into this much. For example, when "sitting", I release with "ok", meaning "I'm done being your boss for the moment, do what you want until further notice". But with pointing, I don't know what to do when training starts "for real". Obviously, when training, there isn't going to be a bird to flush every time (or even many times). So after "whoa", what is the proper thing to do to release him from whoa with no bird? Ideally, in the field it will be "back", since there will be a bird that fell. I'd prefer him to remain at whoa when hunting until I tell him to go, but I suppose from what you said that's personal preference. I was thinking (maybe overthinking) that if I use "ok" when training, in the field he'll want to wait for that instead of "back". Perhaps I'm not giving the dog enough credit for having a brain.

thanks!

Lol was gonna ask you the exact same question. Your more the pointing expert than me!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 pm

I use OK as a release command for everything...training, hunting, obedience...I keep it all the same. I figure the less commands the dog has to keep straight the better.
When we are obedience training, OK means "I'm done, go do what you want".
When I'm hunting, she has a vest, shock collar, and cow bell on. So anytime I'm working with birds or bird smells I put the hunting stuff in her. This lets the dog distinguish household obedience commands from field commands. So when I say OK when we are hunting, it means "continue looking for birds, there is nothing here."
This was my fist dog training, and I really over thought a lot of things when I was staring. Somehow the dogs just seem to know what to do when it comes to hunting. And by the looks of your pups instinct to go after birds, you should have an easy time training her.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 pm

That's good, that's what I wanted to hear regarding the commands. Thanks, brother!
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 pm

It really all boils down to it being a personal preference between you and your dog. Do what works for you both when it comes to hunting. When you get started on field training, you will quickly see what your dog responds best to.
When it comes to hunting, I don't let anyone else but me and my dad handle her. Mostly because they can't read her to know what direction to give her.
If you want a show dog to take to hunt tests then ignore everything I said, because it's all wrong. I don't like set programs...I like to work with the dogs natural ability and enhance it, not train the dog to work like a machine.

My dog is going into her 3rd hunting season, and after her first year, I barley give any commands to her. I take her to the area I want to hunt and let her go...if she gets outside 40 yards, I giver her a whistle. Other than that I follow her whatever direction she wants to go, and when she goes on point, we both know what to do without saying a thing. It really is amazing the things a dog of capable of doing.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm

assateague wrote:That's good, that's what I wanted to hear regarding the commands. Thanks, brother!

No problem...keep us updated on how he is doing. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:10 pm

That is some good advice, I use go on, and leave it. I would not worry about those commands quite yet though. You are training a pointing, and regardless of what TK thinks, a retrieving dog. In my experience, the pointing instinct is more natural. Let the dog chase with no restraints, build the confidence and prey drive. Once the drive for the bird is there, it is way easier to train, because you control the prize, which is the bird.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 pm

When they're that young it looks like he's just being overly cautious.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 pm

jarbo03 wrote:That is some good advice, I use go on, and leave it. I would not worry about those commands quite yet though. You are training a pointing, and regardless of what TK thinks, a retrieving dog. In my experience, the pointing instinct is more natural. Let the dog chase with no restraints, build the confidence and prey drive. Once the drive for the bird is there, it is way easier to train, because you control the prize, which is the bird.

Good advice.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 pm

3legged_lab wrote:When they're that young it looks like he's just being overly cautious.

If you could see his eyes, you'd say it looks like he's just high.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I never said they wont retrieve. We both remember this day.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375245796.487772.jpg

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 pm

No training. Just dogs out having fun. It rained like a bastard this afternoon, but tailed off enough for us to go out in it. This video was actually quite a bit longer, but my wife happened to notice that her ass was displayed a couple times when she bent over to get the stick to throw, so in the interest of keeping the peace, I had to go back and edit a pretty big chunk out. What is left is what you get.

I was just happy to see he didn't care about the wet or the mud. But you do get to see what The Dingo has to put up with on a regular basis.

assateague

Postby Redbeard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

My favorite part was "he ain't gonna listen to you right now."
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 am

Looks great Jim. Appears to be confident and adventurous, seems to get along good with the dingo.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:25 am

jarbo03 wrote:Looks great Jim. Appears to be confident and adventurous, seems to get along good with the dingo.

Damn jarbo. Writing a personals add?
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby AKPirate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 am

Good looking pup Assa!
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:19 am

Jim he is a sharp little pup congrats! i glad to see Bug lets you play with her puppy
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:49 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Looks great Jim. Appears to be confident and adventurous, seems to get along good with the dingo.

Ha!
Redbeard

Postby Westie25 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Looking good.

Also, the dingo looks a bit thick...
Westie25

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Westie25 wrote:Looking good.

they all do
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Redbeard wrote:

they all do

Mrs. Assa gonna drop kick you into next week.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

they all do

Ha. I grew up with em. They're all built like Jerome bettis no matter how much ya run en
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:

Cone on boots, why ya gotta bust balls? Pointing out traits that I'm sure the breeder looked at before he placed the pups, jackass!

Anyways, my personal ads are on secretbang.com
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

they all do

Ha. I grew up with em. They're all built like Jerome bettis no matter how much ya run en

Ah, "all" heelers. Thought you were referring to all in the clip.
Rick

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum