Just starting out

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Just starting out

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I've got a whoa question. Dutch is good, out to the 20' check cord. He'll whoa like a champ. The one time I tried it with no lead at all was a disaster, so I haven't tried it again. I may as well have been on a separate planet, asking him the value of pi. My question is, how do I avoid training him to the lead rather than the command? He'll whoa and hold until I release him (in 2 locations so far) with "ok", but I'm positive this wont happen without the lead. He's not pulling it or fighting it at all- just knows its there, and minds accordingly.

Not trying to get ahead of myself, he's only 12 weeks. But I want to make sure that there's not something I should be doing to reinforce the command, rather than reinforcing "hey, I've got a rope to my neck, I better listen now". Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Get a longer lead and whoa him at different distances from you. Like you said, he is only 12 weeks old. As with all training it takes time, as you work on it more it will become a conditioned response with or without the lead.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:52 pm

assateague wrote:I've got a whoa question. Dutch is good, out to the 20' check cord. He'll whoa like a champ. The one time I tried it with no lead at all was a disaster, so I haven't tried it again. I may as well have been on a separate planet, asking him the value of pi. My question is, how do I avoid training him to the lead rather than the command? He'll whoa and hold until I release him (in 2 locations so far) with "ok", but I'm positive this wont happen without the lead. He's not pulling it or fighting it at all- just knows its there, and minds accordingly.

Not trying to get ahead of myself, he's only 12 weeks. But I want to make sure that there's not something I should be doing to reinforce the command, rather than reinforcing "hey, I've got a rope to my neck, I better listen now". Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

I could be talking out my ass, don't know a thing about pointers, but I would venture to guess cut back the distance he is from you and work through it again without lead. Then you can correct him by hand and slowly work in distance later. Might have the cart before the house trying for distance this early.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:50 am

Never was a fan of crutches we'd eventually have to do without, in part because of problems like yours, and we've precious little use for checkcords with the pointing pups and none at all with the retrievers. Consequently, I teach my pointing pups "whoa" like I teach the retrievers "sit" starting before eating and other everyday "rewards" like going out when they are very young (initially very briefly, of course) and building from there, all off lead until we start "heel". And you might want to try that approach to break the connection Dutch now has between the command and cord.
Rick

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:40 am

Ok, will do. It'll be a tough sell outside, with a yard full of chickens and a road out front, though. I'll just have to work more in the house and plan it better outside.
assateague

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:40 am

jarbo03 wrote:Get a longer lead and whoa him at different distances from you. Like you said, he is only 12 weeks old. As with all training it takes time, as you work on it more it will become a conditioned response with or without the lead.

He's working at the end of a 20' rope now.
assateague

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 am

assateague wrote:Ok, will do. It'll be a tough sell outside, with a yard full of chickens and a road out front, though. I'll just have to work more in the house and plan it better outside.

Much easier when you start while they're too small to get far fast - and don't have bad habits to break.
Rick

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Ok, for the last week we've been working on whoa pretty much everywhere, but mostly in the house with food, The Dingo, etc, and then working very close outside with a check cord, but without holding it. That's what we were doing here- I will keep the cord on him, in case for some reason he takes off for the road I can stomp on it. It was just laying on the ground, and he had been raising hell running after The Dingo. Then the chickens caught his eye. He's getting much better.

assateague

Postby AKPirate » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Always fun to watch Dutch grow up. I was watching the road and it looks like Tucker isn't parking out in front of your house anymore.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Nope. If he comes back, he's gonna have the whole "neighborhood watch" going over as a group to inquire as to his business there.
assateague

Postby one2many » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:37 am

AKPirate wrote:Always fun to watch Dutch grow up. I was watching the road and it looks like Tucker isn't parking out in front of your house anymore.

hahahahahaha..
the pup is looking good Assa
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Redbeard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Look sharp Jimbo! Funny how differently they can't with a lead/ leash on...regardless of whether you're holding it or not
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:36 am

Just had a little test this morning. He did well.

assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 am

Good boy! Funny how intently he watches em
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 am

Tease.
Rick

Postby one2many » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 pm

assateague wrote:Just had a little test this morning. He did well.

looking great! he is going to make you a great hunting partner.
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Just went swimming again with the neighbor this afternoon. I generally just let him swim and play with the neighbor's lab, keeping it low key, but he was doing well today so I decided to video one. He usually swims better than this, but is doing great. Think he was getting tired. And the neighbor's lab is a great distractor :lol:

assateague

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Awesome. Is that your neighbor's pond? Pretty nice to have that near by...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Yeah, it's just a couple hundred yards away through a bean field. We walk down and back sometimes, so he can work his nose in the beans and along the ditch.
assateague

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 pm

assateague wrote:Yeah, it's just a couple hundred yards away through a bean field. We walk down and back sometimes, so he can work his nose in the beans and along the ditch.

:thumbsup: Do you get to hunt it too? a .22 on a Sunday might work out well there...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Me and the owner used to goose hunt there a lot. But they built a small house and a couple barns next to it, so no more. We wore them out during resident goose, with a 15 bird limit. No plugs, and we'd often stack the spare guns in front of us and just throw down the empty and grab another. Get huge resident flocks in there. It was fun while it lasted, but now we just get to watch them land and loaf all damn day.
assateague

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Two words.

Sling Shot

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum