First bird dog. Need advice.

Everything Duck Dogs!

First bird dog. Need advice.

Postby Brandonwilkinson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I've hunted fowl for years, but never had my own dog. I just bought a female yellow lab she is only 7 weeks. I'm sure everyone on here is sick of people like me. But I really wanna train her to retrieve and be a good hunting dog. I was curious when to start the training and what order and everything like that. Does anyone know a good website or any advice to help? Thanks
Brandonwilkinson

Re: First bird dog. Need advice.

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Welcome to the site... :welcome: Training your own dog is a lot of hard work, but very rewarding when it all comes together. Where are you from?
goodkarmarising

Postby Brandonwilkinson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm

That's what I've been told! I've got a lot of time now to work with her. I'm from Utah.
Brandonwilkinson

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 pm

There are a lot of good training books/DVDs out there. I've never trained a retriever, so I can't comment on any if them, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon and get you started.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:05 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:There are a lot of good training books/DVDs out there. I've never trained a retriever, so I can't comment on any if them, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon and get you started.

just go ask on TOS. you'll get all the advice you need. Make sure you force fetch, its the only way!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Brandonwilkinson wrote:I've hunted fowl for years, but never had my own dog. I just bought a female yellow lab she is only 7 weeks. I'm sure everyone on here is sick of people like me. But I really wanna train her to retrieve and be a good hunting dog. I was curious when to start the training and what order and everything like that. Does anyone know a good website or any advice to help? Thanks
I won't comment on books or DVD's. I'm not the man for that. I've read Water Dog, 10 Minute Retriever, Tom Dokken's Retriver Training and some other one I can't think of at the moment. I've never followed one plan to a T, but rather stole ideas and found what worked for me.

But I will say, and I think most all the guys here will agree, obedience is key. It's the foundation of everything you will teach her regarding hunting. Drill it into her head and be consistent.

Oh and if she's not an english lab...quit...there's no hope for her
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 pm

That's the hardest part for me- being patient, and not getting hung up on hunting-specific stuff. The occasional retrieves, swimming for fun, and a bird from time to time. But just saying to myself- "nope, work on OB" is difficult at times. But I know I'll be better for it a year from now.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:32 pm

assateague wrote:That's the hardest part for me- being patient, and not getting hung up on hunting-specific stuff. The occasional retrieves, swimming for fun, and a bird from time to time. But just saying to myself- "nope, work on OB" is difficult at times. But I know I'll be better for it a year from now.
makes life so much more pleasant
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Nothing pisses me off more than a dog that doesn't listen.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Nothing pisses me off more than a dog that doesn't listen.

It throws me into a borderline rage.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm

It's caused me to not hunt much anymore with a good friend of mine
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 pm

assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Nothing pisses me off more than a dog that doesn't listen.

It throws me into a borderline rage.

Up at our cabin over labor day, there were 18 dogs...only 2 of them minded (my setter, and my cousins lab), the rest just ran around barking at every damn thing. I about punted a few of them into the lake.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Brandonwilkinson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks for the advice, ill focus on obedience for now!
Brandonwilkinson

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Brandonwilkinson wrote:Thanks for the advice, ill focus on obedience for now!
with a pup that young, it's all about positive reinforcement, give lots of praise for correct behavior. Don't use force, unless it's something they definitely shouldn't do, like pissing on the floor. make sure she also knows that you are the boss. When you are playing with her, make sure you are always winning...otherwise you won't get anywhere with obedience if she feels superior over you.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby banknote » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm about 5 months into training with my golden and have read a handful of books, all with something worthwhile, but "The Labrador Shooting Dog" by Mike Gould really made me think about things form the dog's perspective, which I think is invaluable. Money quote (paraphrased): "Train for compliance and you will always fail. Train for confidence and you will always succeed."

http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... FQSQAACAAJ
banknote

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Gould was an interesting cat, but I never could get him cornered into explaining his take on "influence handling," which was a subject of great interest to me.
Rick

Postby banknote » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:44 am

Rick wrote:Gould was an interesting cat, but I never could get him cornered into explaining his take on "influence handling," which was a subject of great interest to me.

I can't say I've followed his "program" to a tee, nor any of the others, but I have used the influence handling idea in general and Ki has become pretty attentive to my movements, in the field and elsewhere. Most recently I've used it to get him back on track in situations where we're not really training, but he's kind of gone off the rails and it's not a good situation for corrective actions. Like if I have him out for a quick run at the park and we're playing some fetch, he might balk at a retrieve because he gets a whiff of something more interesting. Instead of getting on his case, I turn and walk away. As soon as he comes by me moving out ahead I change direction without a word. I'll do this several times over the span of a few minutes, and then tell him heel, which he does quite attentively. We'll then walk back over to the old mark and he will retrieve it enthusiastically. I won't typically throw another mark after that.
banknote

Return to Gun Dog Forum