dogs and heat

Everything Duck Dogs!

dogs and heat

Postby one2many » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:05 am

how many of you took labs out for the dove opener in the 90-100 degree heat this year or any year
how many dogs have you lost due to excessive heat?
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Re: dogs and heat

Postby one2many » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:07 am

i took mine but only hunted the early morning and i did shoot many for him to go get :roll:
and i have never lost a dog over heat issues
one2many

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:17 am

It was raining here locally. The rain and storm woke me up, so I watched the rain for awhile and rolled over and went back to bed. Haven't lost a dog to the heat, and hope I never do.
goodkarmarising

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:34 am

Have always dove hunted with my dogs. This year the weather was nice, and Taz still got hot. People need to remember that if a dog is designed to retrieve from icy waters, heat is going to bother them. If a hunting dog lays down while hunting, do not send them for another retrieve. Stop shooting, get them some water and cool em down. There were days my britt got hot, you know the retrievers were burning up.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby one2many » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:11 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Have always dove hunted with my dogs. This year the weather was nice, and Taz still got hot. People need to remember that if a dog is designed to retrieve from icy waters, heat is going to bother them. If a hunting dog lays down while hunting, do not send them for another retrieve. Stop shooting, get them some water and cool em down. There were days my britt got hot, you know the retrievers were burning up.

the old man has always had britts and pointers seen them get hot always sat them made them drink and poured water over them. it was somewhat cool for us opening morning,i missed enough that my dog didnt work very hard :oops:
never lost one to heat and never will.
the ass munches at the other place are patting some asshole on back and telling him they are so sorry he lost his dog because he over hunted him in high temps. i would never have posted that shit i would have bee too ashamed of my self

my running dogs run everyday, much less of a distance when its super hot. my working dogs work everyday that i do. just cant get over someone killing their dog needlessly because they are too fucking stupid to have a dog in the 1st place
:tk: :tk: :tk: sorry guys i will step down now
one2many

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I agree. On dove opener I limited pretty quick. Went to help others get birds abd work on marking with Taz. He picked up a bird, didn't bring it to me but laid down in the shade. I gave hin a big bowl of cool water and poured bottles over him, told everyone we would look for birds when he's ready. There are too many signs of a dog getting hot to let this happen. As soon as my dogs get sloppy or lose focus I stop and check em out.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Return to Gun Dog Forum