Charlie's been limping since...

Everything Duck Dogs!

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:33 pm

...yesterday morning. He didn't wake up with a limp. But after he came back in from being fed yesterday morning, he was limping pretty bad on his left front leg. No idea what happened outside.

This happened once bout two years ago. Unexplained limp. Lasted about two days and then he was fine. He ain't limping near as bad this morning. Seems to be improving. I'll give him one more day and if I don't see substantiate improvement, I think I'll take him in.

Pisses me off. We were in a good routine. Gettin some good work in on my days off. Now nothing this weekend
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: Charlie's been limping since...

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:38 pm

The Dingo was doing that last weekend. As it was the same day I had been stung on the big toe by a bee, I told the wife that that's what happened to the dog, too. Unless there's blood coming from her eyes, no dog's getting an emergency trip to a vet after hours for a limp. I was proud of myself- it only took about 3 minutes to derail my wife's argument. Limp went away in about an hour, same as it would have after a trip to the vet. The only difference is waiting for an hour didn't cost me $400. Hope Charlie's ok, though- he has more worth to you than The Dingo does to me.
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Cracked nail? It's happened twice with my dog.

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby josh ward » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Prooly a strain or cracked nail.....
HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper HRC 500pt Club
Brandywine's Big nose Kate
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm

He is doing better today then yesterday, that is a good sign. I bet he will be fine.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Yea I'm thinking a strain or sprain. Funny how much we worry bout these damn dogs when something don't look right huh
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Redbeard wrote:Yea I'm thinking a strain or sprain. Funny how much we worry bout these damn dogs when something don't look right huh

You ever have your dog bit his own tongue? The first time my dog did that I freaked out. The blood mixed with saliva makes it look 1000 times worse.

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Olly wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Yea I'm thinking a strain or sprain. Funny how much we worry bout these damn dogs when something don't look right huh

You ever have your dog bit his own tongue? The first time my dog did that I freaked out. The blood mixed with saliva makes it look 1000 times worse.

Sent from Tapatalk

nope never even thought about a dog doin that
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey josh, what's your feeling on joint supplements?
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Olly wrote:

Sent from Tapatalk

nope never even thought about a dog doin that

Maybe Moose just has a super long tongue or something but he's done it a few times now.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Redbeard wrote:Hey josh, what's your feeling on joint supplements?

Tug has a daily dose of MSM/Gloucosamine, and I think it helps. Assa will like this part, a one month supply from the vet is 70 bucks, a 90 day supply from GNC is 15 bucks. My vet, also my buddy, told me to go the GNC route. I put him on it just to help prevent some the wear and tear he's getting by only having one back leg. It will take about 6 weeks for it build up in the system, but I can tell its helping as he recovers faster after a hunt now.

I know that was meant for josh, but hope its useful.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:25 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Hey josh, what's your feeling on joint supplements?

Tug has a daily dose of MSM/Gloucosamine, and I think it helps. Assa will like this part, a one month supply from the vet is 70 bucks, a 90 day supply from GNC is 15 bucks. My vet, also my buddy, told me to go the GNC route. I put him on it just to help prevent some the wear and tear he's getting by only having one back leg. It will take about 6 weeks for it build up in the system, but I can tell its helping as he recovers faster after a hunt now.

I know that was meant for josh, but hope its useful.

right on. I'm assuming it comes in pill form? You just mix it in some food?
Redbeard

Postby josh ward » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I use suplements WHEN they are needed. ie - older dogs, or dogs that have had a tramua to a joint, for example my Kate blew a knee and had to have 2 surgeries to repair it. She on a MSM/Gloucosamine suplement. I use the sportdog C9 hip/joint. For her weight size one jar is about a 3 month supply, I get it at wholesale prices so it doesnt hurt the pocket book too bad.
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:45 pm

josh ward wrote:I use suplements WHEN they are needed. ie - older dogs, or dogs that have had a tramua to a joint, for example my Kate blew a knee and had to have 2 surgeries to repair it. She on a MSM/Gloucosamine suplement. I use the sportdog C9 hip/joint. For her weight size one jar is about a 3 month supply, I get it at wholesale prices so it doesnt hurt the pocket book too bad.

so for a healthy dog you don't suspect of having problems, you wouldn't think it's necessary?
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 pm

There's a joint supplement we feed the horses called Cetyl M. My old dog was having a hard time getting around (she was 12), so I measured out a dose close to her body weight (came out to be about 1/8 tsp- remember this was for horses, so it's based off of 500-weight.) In about 3 days, she was spry as a puppy. Never had a problem. She lived another year and a half, happily, until my wife had to put her down while I was out in AZ working, because she finally just gave out. I swear by that stuff.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:12 am

Red I'm no expert but from what I read a healthy dog does not always need supplements. If you feed a quality dog food it should have all the supplements you dog needs. As in a large breed food has joint stuff in it. I've seen multiple articles that say feeding extra supplements can be too much and be counterproductive. Look at what's in your kibble and find out what Charlie needs then go from there. It just might be sufficient.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 am

Flightstopper wrote:Red I'm no expert but from what I read a healthy dog does not always need supplements. If you feed a quality dog food it should have all the supplements you dog needs. As in a large breed food has joint stuff in it. I've seen multiple articles that say feeding extra supplements can be too much and be counterproductive. Look at what's in your kibble and find out what Charlie needs then go from there. It just might be sufficient.

good call flight. I'll check into it. Charlie's much better today. No one else in the house can notice it. I can, cause I know my dog so well. But he's looking great. I'm sure josh was right, he probably strained or sprained something goofing around in the backyard that morning.

We're oin this afternoon to work with my buddy's chessie. I guess Charlie just gets to sit and work on his honoring
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am

For what it's worth, I tried glucosamine for about a month after my shoulder was operated on. I know I'm a human and they're dogs, but that crap tore m stomach up. Felt like I had boiling liquid in my gut nonstop, probably about like taking 10 aspirin on an empty stomach. It did help, but wasn't worth the cost to my belly.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:37 pm

assateague wrote:For what it's worth, I tried glucosamine for about a month after my shoulder was operated on. I know I'm a human and they're dogs, but that crap tore m stomach up. Felt like I had boiling liquid in my gut nonstop, probably about like taking 10 aspirin on an empty stomach. It did help, but wasn't worth the cost to my belly.

hmmm yea that don't sound good. Although dogs stomach's can withstand more than ours
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I'd let Charlie do a little swimming, don't let him charge the water and go crazy though. I used ENP Glucosamine Plus Concentrate with my previous lab with great results, I feel there was a difference after I got him on the program. Others I have recommended it to have had good results also. Cost about$12-$15 a month, cheaper if you buy it by the gallon. When Taz gets a little older I will start him on it. Also Red, was he also limping on his front the last time it happened, if so, would watch letting him jump out of vehicles and such. My lab had bone chips in his front elbows, he used to jump in and out of my truck with the tailgate up, I was young and thought it was cool, little did I know.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby josh ward » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Redbeard wrote:[so for a healthy dog you don't suspect of having problems, you wouldn't think it's necessary?

Right, as long as you are feeding a QUALITY food, your dog should be getting what he or she needs.
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:23 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I'd let Charlie do a little swimming, don't let him charge the water and go crazy though. I used ENP Glucosamine Plus Concentrate with my previous lab with great results, I feel there was a difference after I got him on the program. Others I have recommended it to have had good results also. Cost about$12-$15 a month, cheaper if you buy it by the gallon. When Taz gets a little older I will start him on it. Also Red, was he also limping on his front the last time it happened, if so, would watch letting him jump out of vehicles and such. My lab had bone chips in his front elbows, he used to jump in and out of my truck with the tailgate up, I was young and thought it was cool, little did I know.

yea Charlie's in a the water alot. I live less than 5 min from one of our major rivers. He thinks he's very fit from the exercise he gets. But you're right I need to ease him back into it after he rests up from this little episode.

He looked great today. No limp. Went out to work with a friend and his chessie. Charlie just honored the whole time. Afterwards I let him run around the field a bit. Looked good
Redbeard

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I've been following this thread Red. Glad to hear he's doing better.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 am

How is Charlie doing today?
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am

jarbo03 wrote:How is Charlie doing today?

he hasn't limped in 3 days now. The day we went out to work my buddy's dog, Charlie just sat and honored. Afterward though I let him run around the field a bit and he looked fine.

He's been bouncing all over the house the last few days. He's antsy to start working again. Probably gonna get him out for some easy field work this afternoon
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:18 pm

That's good to hear. :thumbsup:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03