First time in the marsh

Everything Duck Dogs!

First time in the marsh

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:20 pm

This is my uncles dog that I've been working with over the summer. She pretty much stays in a kennel all the time except for when I work with her...which makes things tough. Especially when I can only get there one or 2 times a week. The hardest part is teaching/maintaining OB when she doesn't get worked with every day. She is a real smart dog and has the basics and loves to retrieve the bumper. I've had her in the water a few times but not in a marsh/hunting setting. So today I decided to take her out for her first hunt. She followed on my left the whole way out through muck and water that was borderline swimming for her. She stayed right with me when I set the decoys out, then I let her explore the marsh alittle before LST. When it was time to hunt she laid right next to me without any fuss. About 20min in 4 geese came overhead and I hit one that sailed about 1/4 mile out. We went after it, and when we got close she chased it down but wouldn't pick it up, which was expected since the goose is damn near as big as she is. Ended up getting another later on with the same results. I threw the bumper and had her do a bunch of retrieves all morning, and for the most part she performed flawlessly. Even though she didn't retrieve the geese, the day was a big success. Can't wait till duck season!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378862383.798993.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378862405.996576.jpg

Sorry for the novel.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: First time in the marsh

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Very cool Nuff. I can't help with the retrieving birds part, but it's nice that you got the pup out!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm guessing she hasn't seen or touched a live or dead bird yet huh. A Canada might be a bad way to start. Were the birds dead or cripped?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Redbeard wrote:I'm guessing she hasn't seen or touched a live or dead bird yet huh. A Canada might be a bad way to start. Were the birds dead or cripped?

Nope. I didn't expect her to retrieve, i let her go up to them and she nudged them a little then came back to me. I didn't push for her to retrieve...just wanted to get her used to the environment before duck season.
The first bird was dead by the time we walked for 10 min to it. And the second was somewhat alive but barely. She chased that one for a little bit before it gave up. She retrieved the bumper very well though all morning.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 pm

She is also only 8 months old and 45lbs, and these were 12lb geese.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Get your hands on a dead frozen duck if any of your buddies have any. Sounds like you don't have time to get her on live birds
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh my I didn't realize she was so young
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Redbeard wrote:Get your hands on a dead frozen duck if any of your buddies have any. Sounds like you don't have time to get her on live birds

I've got a plucked one in the freezer. :-D
I'm not to concerned with her being a pro. This season will be a learning experience, and she will probably only go when I'm alone so I can work with her without screwing up my buddy's days off. Unless she does better than I expect.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Redbeard wrote:Oh my I didn't realize she was so young

Yeah. That's why I'm not too worried about it yet. She was born just after new years, so I guess she is a little over 9 months now.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Gun Dog Forum