for all you pros

Everything Duck Dogs!

for all you pros

Postby one2many » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:00 pm

this isnt a troll. i want to know what you pros think that is so hard to train a lab or chessie? this stems from corncob on that other site.
you guys act like its such a hard thing. pointer guys feel the same way.the versatile crew does do more then the last two.
you guys act like you are gods among men. when it isnt in anyway remotely close to training a stock dog or a service dog.yet them trainers dont go tooting their own horns,and sticking up for each other by telling someone how many trophies or ribbons they or someone else has.
all you guys training new pups(aaron and jim) this is not directed to you, you guys are doing it yourself like it should be and your pups are doin a damn fine job.
do the pros exaggerate the difficulty just to slob on each others knobs, and keep simple minded people cutting them checks for easy money?
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Re: for all you pros

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:09 pm

I didn't think training my setter was that difficult. It just takes time and consistency. I haven't, and don't know anyone that has trained a field test dog. So I have no idea how difficult it is to train a dog to that level.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:18 pm

I taught my dog to cast a bait caster and net salmon! COME AT ME BRO!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby one2many » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I didn't think training my setter was that difficult. It just takes time and consistency. I haven't, and don't know anyone that has trained a field test dog. So I have no idea how difficult it is to train a dog to that level.

not much in my younger days i would go along with the old man to bird dog contests some mounted but most walking.
i have seen poodles compete in OB trials that would make a hunt test/field test lab look like a blind retarded cull job.
and thats all the fake hunting is, OB. my dog is expected to do most all the work on his own. God gave them a great nose and they best use it or im not feeding him.
one2many

Postby one2many » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:I taught my dog to cast a bait caster and net salmon! COME AT ME BRO!

and a golden right? more talent then a field trial dog for sure.if you need a ribbon to feel better about your self i will send you one. :lol:
one2many

Postby Redbeard » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:14 pm

one2many wrote:this isnt a troll. i want to know what you pros think that is so hard to train a lab or chessie? this stems from corncob on that other site.
you guys act like its such a hard thing. pointer guys feel the same way.the versatile crew does do more then the last two.
you guys act like you are gods among men. when it isnt in anyway remotely close to training a stock dog or a service dog.yet them trainers dont go tooting their own horns,and sticking up for each other by telling someone how many trophies or ribbons they or someone else has.
all you guys training new pups(aaron and jim) this is not directed to you, you guys are doing it yourself like it should be and your pups are doin a damn fine job.
do the pros exaggerate the difficulty just to slob on each others knobs, and keep simple minded people cutting them checks for easy money?
Do we even have any pros here anymore? Jeffy ya might just be talkin to yourself. I think the marsh mutt guys left town.

Appreciate the compliment. And I really have no valuable opinion on the matter as I've only ever trained retrievers
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:16 pm

one2many wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:I taught my dog to cast a bait caster and net salmon! COME AT ME BRO!

and a golden right? more talent then a field trial dog for sure.if you need a ribbon to feel better about your self i will send you one. :lol:

Ha! Ill let you know when I run low on toilet paper. :lol:

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby jehler » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:20 pm

one2many wrote:this isnt a troll. i want to know what you pros think that is so hard to train a lab or chessie? this stems from corncob on that other site.
O2M, I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not acting
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:22 pm

It is way more work to train a retriever than it is a pointing dog. You give pointing dogs a little guidance and bird exposure. They have to learn to hunt on their own. The rest is OB and maybe steady to fkush and shot. Not sure which crowd is worse, but I will say most pointer guys brag about the abilities of their dog naturally, not how well they handled trained situations like the retriever guys.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby RonE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm

The hardest part to training a retriever is picking a good pup and then not fucking him up till training starts.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:13 pm

jehler wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Out of all the dogs I've trained they've all been easy. 2 labs straight retrievers, umpteen something beagles for rabbits, 2 terrier/cur mixes for squirrels, and a black mouth cur that hunts a little of everything. It has always seemed that everything has come natural to the dogs. Especially the hunting parts.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:47 pm

From what I've seen and read from the so called pro's on the other site, does not impress me at all. I have trained up both my mutts myself and any shortcomings are from me and not the dogs. I wouldn't send my dog to any of the so called pro's over on that other site that won't be named. And like you've said, I've seen dogs in action working for the military that would put those so called pro's and their play hunting dogs to shame. It is something completely different when soldiers lifes are depending on the nose or training of a dog versus finding a dead duck or goose. :tk: :tk: :tk: :tk:
goodkarmarising

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:08 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:From what I've seen and read from the so called pro's on the other site, does not impress me at all. I have trained up both my mutts myself and any shortcomings are from me and not the dogs. I wouldn't send my dog to any of the so called pro's over on that other site that won't be named. And like you've said, I've seen dogs in action working for the military that would put those so called pro's and their play hunting dogs to shame. It is something completely different when soldiers lifes are depending on the nose or training of a dog versus finding a dead duck or goose. :tk: :tk: :tk: :tk:

Kinda funny you say that. The Army and Air Force(probably other branches too) reject about 90% of all the dogs that start training. Of course what you see in the end is a well oiled machine, but it took 10 dogs to produce 1.

A pro is only someone who trains a dog for money. It has no "skill" level to come with it. I am on the professional trainer side of it all. I've seen wayyy wayyy wayyyyyyyyy better dogs come out of a legit professional trainer than the average hunter that trains his.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:From what I've seen and read from the so called pro's on the other site, does not impress me at all. I have trained up both my mutts myself and any shortcomings are from me and not the dogs. I wouldn't send my dog to any of the so called pro's over on that other site that won't be named. And like you've said, I've seen dogs in action working for the military that would put those so called pro's and their play hunting dogs to shame. It is something completely different when soldiers lifes are depending on the nose or training of a dog versus finding a dead duck or goose. :tk: :tk: :tk: :tk:

Kinda funny you say that. The Army and Air Force(probably other branches too) reject about 90% of all the dogs that start training. Of course what you see in the end is a well oiled machine, but it took 10 dogs to produce 1.

A pro is only someone who trains a dog for money. It has no "skill" level to come with it. I am on the professional trainer side of it all. I've seen wayyy wayyy wayyyyyyyyy better dogs come out of a legit professional trainer than the average hunter that trains his.

you aint been too deep into the dog world then,even if you think you have.im not saying im the greatest retriever because i aint.
im not the best stock dog trainer either.a service dog trained for the blind is as good as it gets even compared to army/military dogs.
one2many

Postby one2many » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 pm

jehler wrote:

:D :D expect nothing less
one2many

Postby Redbeard » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:49 pm

I have no doubt a dog trained by professional trainers, rather than an average joe, may wind up being a better trained dog the majority of the time. My assumption is they have more experience and more time to devote.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby one2many » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Redbeard wrote:I have no doubt a dog trained by professional trainers, rather than an average joe, may wind up being a better trained dog the majority of the time. My assumption is they have more experience and more time to devote.

i dont think so. you are doing a great job.making me look sloppy
some of the very best dogs i have ever hunted over were bred and trained by some old country folks. never been to a HT/FT and never would.
seen lots of money change hands and a pissed off city guy load his pro trained dog into the back of the truck.heading home with less cash and a mouth full of crow
one2many

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:15 pm

one2many wrote:
Redbeard wrote:I have no doubt a dog trained by professional trainers, rather than an average joe, may wind up being a better trained dog the majority of the time. My assumption is they have more experience and more time to devote.

some of the very best dogs i have ever hunted over were bred and trained by some old country folks. never been to a HT/FT and never would.
seen lots of money change hands and a pissed off city guy load his pro trained dog into the back of the truck.heading home with less cash and a mouth full of crow

I would agree with Red, as long as we're talking about retrievers. I have seen some high trained retrievers, they were amazing to watch. They couldn't out hunt any of the dogs I've had, but they handled awesome at some crazy long distances. With pointers, I'll take whatever dog sees more wild birds.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:53 pm

I probably agree with Red and Jarbo. If you take a big sample of well-trained hunting dogs, the pros will have a far greater degree of "successful" training than the Joes.

That being said, Joes can train dogs well, too. Just because it doesn't happen all the time doesn't mean it's not possible or even probable. I look at it this way- I'll always give someone help when they're building a house or something. I'm not gonna say "you're a doctor, not a carpenter. Go hire a professional." But that seems to be common with a lot of professional trainers, and I don't know why. I think we're pretty fortunate to have a couple very helpful pros here, but as has been said, other places make me want to punch a baby. If Jehler can walk a lawyer through how to build a house without saying "you have no business doing this, you aren't a professional", there's absolutely no reason why a dog trainer can't do the same thing.
assateague

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:56 pm

I will agree with everyone but Eric! He is mean to my dog!

Bootlipkiller

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:I will agree with everyone but Eric! He is mean to my dog!

You have a dog?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

You have a dog?

Yep one lab

Bootlipkiller

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

You have a dog?

Yep one lab

Liar!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 pm

one2many wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

you aint been too deep into the dog world then,even if you think you have.im not saying im the greatest retriever because i aint.
im not the best stock dog trainer either.a service dog trained for the blind is as good as it gets even compared to army/military dogs.

You are right, I am not deep in the dog world, but I do know my dog trainer hunts more than the majority of the people on this or any duck hunting forum and knows how to train a dog to do any task in the field. He also runs the occaisional HT and also judges them. I would put his training ability over mine any single day of the week/month/year/lifetime. I've watch how he reacts to mistakes the dogs make and how he handles them. I am no where near that level, and considering he is 60ish and been doing it his entire life(mentored Richard Wolters for years) I really don't think I could ever catch up, or even have the time to. Saying all pros are a crock of shit is pretty dumb, but I will agree that they all aren't god's and some can be pretty terrible personality-wise.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:40 pm

Ahh yeah, don't you have a strawberry long haired retriever?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:31 am

jarbo03 wrote:
one2many wrote:

I would agree with Red, as long as we're talking about retrievers. I have seen some high trained retrievers, they were amazing to watch. They couldn't out hunt any of the dogs I've had, but they handled awesome at some crazy long distances. With pointers, I'll take whatever dog sees more wild birds.

you guys are selling yourselves short.
one2many

Postby one2many » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:38 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
one2many wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

You are right, I am not deep in the dog world, but I do know my dog trainer hunts more than the majority of the people on this or any duck hunting forum and knows how to train a dog to do any task in the field. He also runs the occaisional HT and also judges them. I would put his training ability over mine any single day of the week/month/year/lifetime. I've watch how he reacts to mistakes the dogs make and how he handles them. I am no where near that level, and considering he is 60ish and been doing it his entire life(mentored Richard Wolters for years) I really don't think I could ever catch up, or even have the time to. Saying all pros are a crock of shit is pretty dumb, but I will agree that they all aren't god's and some can be pretty terrible personality-wise.
did i say all pros are a crock of shit? cant remember
one2many

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:38 am

one2many wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
one2many wrote:

We don't lack the abilities to train dogs to a high level, mostly folks like me lack time, supply of live birds, and training areas. I train Taz when work, weather and time permit. Pros do it everyday. Unfortunately many on the forums are jerkoffs.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby one2many » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:46 am

jarbo03 wrote:
one2many wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
one2many wrote:

We don't lack the abilities to train dogs to a high level, mostly folks like me lack time, supply of live birds, and training areas. I train Taz when work, weather and time permit. Pros do it everyday. Unfortunately many on the forums are jerkoffs.

time is a huge issue.if my dumb ass can train a lAb to go pick something up and bring it back to me,it cant be that hard.now stock dogs i will admit im a fucking STUD!!!!! :mrgreen:
one2many

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum