Anybody ever dealt with food allergies?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Anybody ever dealt with food allergies?

Postby jmitch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 am

My 18 month yellow male has been having on going stomach issues and right now its looking like its being caused by his food. Long story short he had an allergic reaction to something about a month and a half ago that caused pretty bad swelling in his ears and wasn't able to keep his food down for a about a week. I switched him to a bland diet of just rice and hamburger for a week and a half or so and he was perfectly fine. Got him switched over to Pro Plan again and he started having issues again and maybe unrelated but a week after I switched him back he got a torsion and I almost lost him. He was acting fine before the torsion just vommiting every other or third day for the week after i put him back on his regular food but otherwise happy and everything. Now after surgery for the torsion hes been on prescription food for three weeks and hes been completely fine until I started switching him back to his old food. It took one day of his normal food to make him sick again so that's why I'm thinking its food related.

My question is have any of you dealt with anything similar or have any suggestions of what to try feeding him now? The vet kinda suggested one brand but it was around $70 for 24 pounds here in town. Was going to try something a little more reasonable first and was wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions for me. Thanks
jmitch

Re: Anybody ever dealt with food allergies?

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 am

That sucks, hate to hear it. Glad pup recovered from torsion. You might try the rice and burger for a few days then very slowly start mixing food back in, find how much he can handle. Have heard of the slow mixing and transition back to dry food working. Good luck, hope it gets figured out.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 am

stop his normal food, it obviously makes him sick. Have you been feeding him out of the same bag, it could be contaminated with something? Try buying a new bag.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jmitch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 am

right now I got another bag of the prescription I/D food that he was on after surgery And i put him back on that as soon as he got sick again. Fed Two different bags of pro plan during this whole issue. Started to wean him off the prescription food starting monday night and he already starting throwing up on tuesday. And like I said its not like hes violently ill all the time either. He will throw up once every other or third day on the Pro Plan that he used to eat. Not sure if somehow he became allergic to something they use as a filler or not? I'm pretty sure Pro Plan is corn based and am looking into something else to try him on just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with something similar
jmitch

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 am

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Taste of the Wild. There are almost as many opinions as there all people, but all the folks I know who feed TOW have never had an issue. Never. And the dogs are all in fantastic shape. Also, I don't think it's more than a couple bucks more than PPP.

And you must own stock in Purina- holy hell, man, stop giving that dog the ProPlan! :lol:
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 am

try soaking the food in water first to soften. My buddy's dog will do the same thing once in a while if she eats too fast. the food hits the stomach and expands all at once and makes her throw up. just an idea, it works for him.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jmitch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 am

assateague wrote:Personally, I'm a huge fan of Taste of the Wild. There are almost as many opinions as there all people, but all the folks I know who feed TOW have never had an issue. Never. And the dogs are all in fantastic shape. Also, I don't think it's more than a couple bucks more than PPP.

And you must own stock in Purina- holy hell, man, stop giving that dog the ProPlan! :lol:

Well I will say that the condensed story I wrote above makes it seem pretty obvious but it has not been nearly that obvious. And when I say he has acted fine I mean completely normal and healthy except for vommiting about twice a week. And nobody has any idea where the hell the torsion came from (vet included) or if its even related or the fact that his ears puffed up like balloons for three or four days. Anyways I just want to be over this shit as if has cost way too much time and worrying as is.
jmitch

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 am

:lol: Gotcha!

It did make it sound like you were bound to feed PPP, come hell or high water, and that you knew that was the problem!
assateague

Postby jmitch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:50 am

After I read it again that is what it sounds like. Through this whole ordeal there was only one person to even mention his food and wouldn't you know it it was my fiance who mentioned in passing one time. Now that is looking like its food related I haven't heard the end of it. Oh well as long as hes back to normal I can take it
jmitch

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 am

Don't expect to ever hear the end of it, brother. And good luck with the pup. I was very serious about the Taste of the Wild, though- I'm a believer in that stuff.
assateague

Postby banknote » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am

Man, hope you get it figured out and the pup can get back to feeling good. You might want to pass this along to your fiancé.

banknote

Postby one2many » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:22 pm

i feed a raw diet and supplemented it with diamond food but i made a change last year because all the recalls they were having. i now supplement with PPP.
never had an issue with food allergies, thank God
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby RonE » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I had that problem with a lab once, couldn't always keep her food down then lost most of her hair.

Read the dog food bag as to the ingredients and try a food without the major ingredient. I ended up feeding a Lamb and Rice based food and my problems went away. It was a long process of adding supplements, adding safflower oil, this and that. Finally changing the basic ingredients in the food worked.

Good luck, having a dog that is off his feed is a major pain in the butt.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Laymen most often seem to blame a grain, but I've read a canine nutritionist's article stating that it's actually 10x more likely to be the primary protein source - if it is a food allergy at all. Turns out Pup's food is well down the likely allergen list. Seems a tough nut to crack in any event, but if a dog of mine had a possible food allergy, I'd give a salmon based diet a shot if less expensive proteins failed, just because that's what I've most often seen credited with relief on these boards.
Rick

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I'd blame a grain
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:14 pm

jehler wrote:I'd blame a grain

Screw you. What would Junior do?
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Rick wrote:

Ha!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Rick wrote:

lol, I was bolstering your position Rick! Doesn't get much more laymen than I
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm

And jr doesn't understand why we buy dog food at all, thinks the chach should live of our scraps and the leftovers from our fishing and his trap line
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jmitch » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Well being the laymen that I am I gradually switched him over to a higher quality grain free food and seems to have taken care of whatever issues I was having. Don't know exactly what it was but he's good now so it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the help fellas
jmitch

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:02 pm

jehler wrote:
Rick wrote:

I was trying to be funny.
Rick

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:02 pm

jmitch wrote:Well being the laymen that I am I gradually switched him over to a higher quality grain free food and seems to have taken care of whatever issues I was having. Don't know exactly what it was but he's good now so it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the help fellas

Glad to hear, hope it continues. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:05 pm

jmitch wrote:Well being the laymen that I am I gradually switched him over to a higher quality grain free food and seems to have taken care of whatever issues I was having. Don't know exactly what it was but he's good now so it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the help fellas

Glad you got it licked. Mine go through an itchy skin and eye period late in the Summer that goes away about this time. Never figured it out, just glad it goes away.
Rick

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Rick wrote:
jehler wrote:
Rick wrote:

I was trying to be funny.

well, I'm laughing now :D
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Return to Gun Dog Forum