Need some dog hunting etiquette help.

Everything Duck Dogs!

Need some dog hunting etiquette help.

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm

So I have been invited to go hunting with an old teacher of mine duck hunting. He said he is going to bring his dog. Never hunted with a dog. I just need so basic do's and don'ts. The only real thing I know is to keep the barrel level to the ground.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Re: Need some dog hunting etiquette help.

Postby Redbeard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Don't poke the dogs bung hole
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:35 pm

If the dog starts going to town on your leg, it's best to just let him finish
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Don't shoot his dog, and do what he tells ya.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Don't try to give his dog commands, let him control it. If the dog is a terror, just don't hunt with him anymore.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:56 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Don't shoot his dog, and do what he tells ya.

^This

The dog will do what it has been trained to do. Other than not shooting it, ask before petting the dog, or offering any treats. The dog handler will probably prefer to be on a certin side of your setup, so let him run the show. Other than that, make sure you kill something so that the dog can do what he loves.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Redbeard wrote:Don't poke the dogs bung hole

Does kicking it in the ass count?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby RonE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Just hope that the dog is a good retriever and that his name isn't: "God dammit" , "Son of a bitch" or some such. You will know after the first duck falls weather on not to say anything....The only thing acceptable to say is: "Wow, what a great dog." if you can't say that, keep your mouth shut and for sure don't laugh at the guy or his dog.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 am

What Ron said. That, and be prepared for the dog to "break" (run toward the birds as you raise the guns or shoot), most do, and to hold your fire if it presents a safety issue.
Rick

Postby Tomkat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 am

3legged_lab wrote:Don't try to give his dog commands, let him control it. If the dog is a terror, just don't hunt with him anymore.

THIS ^^^^^^
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 am

I had a jackass one time shoot over my dog to finish off a cripple my dog was making a B line to. My .02 is not to shoot over a dog that's in the spread. It might be safe but it didn't sit to well with me.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am

Olly wrote:I had a jackass one time shoot over my dog to finish off a cripple my dog was making a B line to. My .02 is not to shoot over a dog that's in the spread. It might be safe but it didn't sit to well with me.

What about shooting over hunting partners?
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:34 am

I hunt with jguns dog, besides damn near shooting it I have run it over with te barge, twice I think, tough dog that one
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:57 am

jehler wrote:I hunt with jguns dog, besides damn near shooting it I have run it over with te barge, twice I think, tough dog that one
We shoot over my dog all the time to finish crips BUT we know our limits. If I was hunting with anybody else's dog I wouldn't even attempt it. Hunting has been hard on Jake. He's totally deaf now and can't even jump in the truck or onto the bed and has to be picked up. He's 11 1/2 now. I may take him to puddle hunting a few times but his barge days are definitely over.
JGUN

Postby Tomkat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Olly wrote:I had a jackass one time shoot over my dog to finish off a cripple my dog was making a B line to. My .02 is not to shoot over a dog that's in the spread. It might be safe but it didn't sit to well with me.

Agree.
I don't want anyone shooting over my dog.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Return to Gun Dog Forum