In the market for a dog

Everything Duck Dogs!

In the market for a dog

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

Figured id talk to you guys. any input is helpful. So im gettin married within the next year and obviously im going to have my own house, so i want a dog. I want to have a dog that can be my buddy, hunt with me, and also chill on the couch. Is a lab King? Male or female? do different colors have different traits? or does it just matter where you buy them from?

thanks guys :thumbsup:
IndianaMallard64

Re: In the market for a dog

Postby Redbeard » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

Labs are king in terms of popularity. Gender or color matter none. Yes it can matter where you get em from
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby RonE » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 am

Remember...........Black is beautiful! And yes, as Redbeard said, it does matter where you get them. Expect to pay for a good dog.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:01 am

There are more important differences within the breeds than between them. Don't just choose "a Lab" or whatever, choose your pup from parents you'd be tickled to own.
Rick

Postby jmitch » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:53 am

Rick makes a good point. There is a lot of difference between dogs of the same breed. Try and look at both the parents of the litter if you can and make your choice based off of them. You don't have to pay top dollar for a litter out of tittled parents if that doesnt matter to you but a lot of people choose to go that route for various reasons.

As far as breed I only really have experience with labs and I have yet to have a bad one, but theyre are plenty of other breeds that have thier diehards too. Just gotta find what you like
jmitch

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:05 pm

thanks for the input guys, female or male? or is it just preferance
IndianaMallard64

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:15 pm

IndianaMallard64 wrote:thanks for the input guys, female or male? or is it just preferance

In my experience males are a little more bull headed, but might have a little more strength and are less timid. Females seem to listen better and aim to please. I prefer female, but I have a limited experience with dogs. I don't think there is really much difference.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 pm

:thumbsup: for a female
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm

I've had nothing but females since 1974 and have been very happy with them. In my opinion they are just the same temperament wise as males, just as aggressive and just as strong. Another important consideration is that females pee on the ground while males will piss on anything they can lift their leg against.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby jmitch » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:45 pm

IndianaMallard64 wrote:thanks for the input guys, female or male? or is it just preferance

Mostly just preferance altho individual dogs are different. I've had two females and two males as family dogs and growing up and the males were by far the most timid. It gets to the point that my dads 35 pound black female pushes around his 80 pound male and my 70 pound male. I think its more just personality of the dog more than anything.
jmitch

Postby HighDesertDuck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 pm

I will agree that the Lab is King, but (not trying to stir the pot into a "this breed, that breed, wrasslin match") I have a toller working out great as a house dog, and hunts well. Not for everybody but hey he's 50 pounds of happy hunting dog. I'll agree with the other guys and say a lot of it is which puppy, from which parents.
And remember the price you pay for your pup is small when factored with everything you're gonna spend over the 14 years your buddy hangs out with you.
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby capt1972 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 pm

HighDesertDuck wrote:I will agree that the Lab is King, but (not trying to stir the pot into a "this breed, that breed, wrasslin match") I have a toller working out great as a house dog, and hunts well. Not for everybody but hey he's 50 pounds of happy hunting dog. I'll agree with the other guys and say a lot of it is which puppy, from which parents.
And remember the price you pay for your pup is small when factored with everything you're gonna spend over the 14 years your buddy hangs out with you.

My FIL has 2 tollers and..... They. Are. Idoits!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:34 pm

I prefer female dogs. Like dude said, they seem eager to please. All labs are good looking, no matter the color.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:01 pm

IndianaMallard64 wrote:Figured id talk to you guys. any input is helpful. So im gettin married within the next year and obviously im going to have my own house, so i want a dog. I want to have a dog that can be my buddy, hunt with me, and also chill on the couch. Is a lab King? Male or female? do different colors have different traits? or does it just matter where you buy them from?

First off, congrats on the fact that she's going to let you have your own house. Second, it doesn't matter what kind of dog since you get to have your own house.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:53 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
IndianaMallard64 wrote:Figured id talk to you guys. any input is helpful. So im gettin married within the next year and obviously im going to have my own house, so i want a dog. I want to have a dog that can be my buddy, hunt with me, and also chill on the couch. Is a lab King? Male or female? do different colors have different traits? or does it just matter where you buy them from?

First off, congrats on the fact that she's going to let you have your own house. Second, it doesn't matter what kind of dog since you get to have your own house.

ass lol, meaning not living with my parents
IndianaMallard64

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 am

May want to considering having your own place though. Just saying.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby HighDesertDuck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 pm

capt1972 wrote:
HighDesertDuck wrote:I will agree that the Lab is King, but (not trying to stir the pot into a "this breed, that breed, wrasslin match") I have a toller working out great as a house dog, and hunts well. Not for everybody but hey he's 50 pounds of happy hunting dog. I'll agree with the other guys and say a lot of it is which puppy, from which parents.

It's all about pedigree.…Make sure the breeder doesn't drive a Subaru. :)
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby capt1972 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:54 pm

HighDesertDuck wrote:
capt1972 wrote:

It's all about pedigree.…Make sure the breeder doesn't drive a Subaru. :)

they did from Canada, enough said.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:38 pm

My dogs papers have never fetched a single fucking duck. Got em out once to see what his papered name was.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 pm

3legged_lab wrote:My dogs papers have never fetched a single fucking duck. Got em out once to see what his papered name was.

Taz's papers can rip off a double blind while he is sleeping in his kennel.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Topper
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Topper

Harley Topper :lol: :lol:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4