Quick E-collar Help

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Quick E-collar Help

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 pm

RonE wrote:
Remember that the dog needs to be conditioned to the collar and that the collar is only to be used when the dog isn't doing what it has been trained to do and knows how to do it.

Not true at all, actually the exact opposite is practiced by many trainers now. Not sure if that's what they used to do but either way is outdated.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:52 pm

That's how I did it. Maybe I followed old training but I've always thought that the collar was for reinforcement of a skill already learned. Not to help teach a dog a new never before learned skill.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Olly wrote:That's how I did it. Maybe I followed old training but I've always thought that the collar was for reinforcement of a skill already learned. Not to help teach a dog a new never before learned skill.

You are correct but I read Ron's comment different. He said burn the dog when it isn't doing what it is supposed to do.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Well, either way, I didn't get one. Go figure. I finally get to a point where I'm willing to drop over $100, and nobody in the damned store can find a key to the damned display case for the e-collars. They tried for upwards of an hour, and apparently nobody in the damned place has that particular key. At least I know the ones that are there should still be there by the time I get back in a day or so.

I think I'll open them both and go for the feel test. I like the fact that Olly said the TT are built like a brick, but I REALLY like the fact that the Dogtra is rechargeable. The rheostat adjustment does bother me a bit, but I think I could rig up a fix for that, from looking at the transmitter. I guess what I'm saying is that the Dogtra will have to feel like a POS for me to get the TT, but I'm willing to feel them both up.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 pm

That's a hell of a deal on the Dogtra, you won't be disappointed. I never felt like mine was flimsy or weak.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 pm

I'll be perfectly honest, the amount of the markdown is influencing me quite a bit. Almost $100 off the regular G Mtn price of $229. The TT was only marked down $30. Decisions, decisions...
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Olly wrote:Tri Tronics without a doubt. I don't know anything about the Jr model but they are the best out there.

This. Tritronics is the king, and thats a good price.

I use a Sport Dog myself.

Sent from my phone. [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Olly wrote:Tri Tronics without a doubt. I don't know anything about the Jr model but they are the best out there.

Nice Quote fail O2M...
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby one2many » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

Nice Quote fail O2M...

fucker :lol:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby one2many » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 am

the Dogtra wins over thr jr , but im not a pro
one2many

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:27 am

one2many wrote:the Dogtra wins over thr jr , but im not a pro

I'll bet Corncob was a TT fan...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby one2many » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:32 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
one2many wrote:the Dogtra wins over thr jr , but im not a pro

I'll bet Corncob was a TT fan...

he does have a ton of Garmins
one2many

Postby Tomkat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 am

Olly wrote:Three years of abuse and it still works great. I chose this one because it's solid. The dogtra one's all felt flimsy in my hand. This one is like a brick.

Which ever you choose we can all agree Sportdog collars are all POS :lol:

OOPSS!

Well I guess it wont surprise you Oly to know what brand I own.
Tomkat

Postby RonE » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 am

Flightstopper wrote:
RonE wrote:
Remember that the dog needs to be conditioned to the collar and that the collar is only to be used when the dog isn't doing what it has been trained to do and knows how to do it.

Not true at all, actually the exact opposite is practiced by many trainers now. Not sure if that's what they used to do but either way is outdated.

Actually, it is true..........What they used to do was either mow a strip of grass or stake two parallel lines and run the dog down the "lane" to the mark or blind and shoot the dog in the ass with a shotgun if the dog went out of the lane..........then, electronic collars came along and dog training took a giant leap forward.

Most of the trainers that I know introduce the collar during force fetching training. They start by pinching the dogs ear and then progress to the collar.

Using a collar to try to teach a dog something is like slapping your kid for not washing his hands before dinner when you have never even told the kid to wash his hands.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:19 am

Agreed on the last part. Now trainers use the collars to reinforce what the dog has been trained. They don't even think about enforcing a command until the dog grasp the full concept and is doing it proficiently. Then by giving nicks in between commands to cement the command with the dog. If done right it should improve handling and increase the dogs range. More to it but that's the gist of what they are shooting for if you choose to go the e cost route in training.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:00 am

one2many wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

Nice Quote fail O2M...

fucker :lol:

:lol:

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 am

I have a TT for training and a SD wetlands 800 for hunting. The SD is fully rechargable..both remote and collar. Id never own a setup that required batteries.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:13 pm

RonE wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
RonE wrote:

Actually, it is true..........What they used to do was either mow a strip of grass or stake two parallel lines and run the dog down the "lane" to the mark or blind and shoot the dog in the ass with a shotgun if the dog went out of the lane..........then, electronic collars came along and dog training took a giant leap forward.

Most of the trainers that I know introduce the collar during force fetching training. They start by pinching the dogs ear and then progress to the collar.

Using a collar to try to teach a dog something is like slapping your kid for not washing his hands before dinner when you have never even told the kid to wash his hands.

i just beat my dogs with a big stick until they get it right
one2many

Postby RonE » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:53 pm

one2many wrote:
RonE wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
RonE wrote:

i just beat my dogs with a big stick until they get it right

And that is another (and often effective) method of training dogs, especially if you are training them to bite. As I said, the shoot, boot and electrocute school of dog training is pretty effective.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

You all are way wrong with this electrocute shit
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby one2many » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 pm

jehler wrote:You all are way wrong with this electrocute shit

i havent needed force fetching let alone the need to burn a dog down