Quick E-collar Help

Everything Duck Dogs!

Quick E-collar Help

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm at gander mountain, waiting for my daughter in the hunter safety course. I'm looking at e collars (not ready yet, but getting close), and there are 2 clearanced out, with 2 of each left. I'm thinking one or the other is a good deal, and tried researching on my phone, but it's a very slow pain in the ass process. So I thought maybe somebody could help.

Here's the two choices:

Dogtra 280 NCP Platinum for $139
Tri-Tronics Sport Junior for $149

If neither of these is worth a damn, I'm ok with that, too. But if either of these is good and I miss it, I'll be pissed. Thanks for the help!
assateague

Re: Quick E-collar Help

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Tri Tronics without a doubt. I don't know anything about the Jr model but they are the best out there.

Sent from my phone. [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I like the Dogtra. I had a 202 that I used for 9 years. Sold it to a friend after my lab passed and didn't need the 2 dog model. 4 years later and it is still going strong. My dad is 7 years in with his 282, nothing been touched, not even batteries. Another friend is 6 years in with his 280, same story.
Last edited by jarbo03 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Dammit. That's 1-1.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:48 pm

I would look at the features and see what fits your needs the best. I liked the Dogtra because of the small transmitter and vibrate function.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:51 pm

I checked them both out, get the Dogtra.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 pm

I would agree in this one case. The TT Jr isn't for hard core field use. If it were one of their other models it would be a Tri Tronics win.

Sent from my phone. [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Figured jerry would know.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Tri Tronics has 1/4 mile range, 7 continuous and 7 momentary settings for correction. Biggest kicker is that it is not rechargeable.

Dogtra has 1/2 mile range, rheostat dial for cont and momentary, plus vibrate, and is rechargeable.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:58 pm

No experience with the Tri Tronics, but hear very little bad about them. I do know that my Dogtra survived my 20s with my lab and britt, both hunted upland and waterfowl every trip.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Good deal. Thanks, fellas. Now if I can find somebody to unlock the damn case.
assateague

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:16 pm

http://www.tritronics.com/sport-basic-g3-exp.html

That's the one I have. It's like a rock.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:30 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Tri Tronics has 1/4 mile range, 7 continuous and 7 momentary settings for correction. Biggest kicker is that it is not rechargeable.

Dogtra has 1/2 mile range, rheostat dial for cont and momentary, plus vibrate, and is rechargeable.

Rechargeable vs. not would be enough for me to decide.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm

My Tri Tronics, the collar is rechargeable and the transmitter runs off a 9v battery. I've had it for 3 years and replaced the 9v once.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:58 pm

I like the dogtra better
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 pm

You ever heard about the collar clinic? Big Internet shop for ecollars, it's right in my back yard, the owner there steered me to the dogtra because of the damn near infinite adjustability.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Olly wrote:http://www.tritronics.com/sport-basic-g3-exp.html

That's the one I have. It's like a rock.

Wanted that one bad but cheaped at the time.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:21 pm

jehler wrote:...the owner there steered me to the dogtra because of the damn near infinite adjustability.

That Dogtra adjustment at least used to come without positive stops at each level, meaning the dial could be inadvertently cranked up or down.
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Rick wrote:
jehler wrote:...the owner there steered me to the dogtra because of the damn near infinite adjustability.

That Dogtra adjustment at least used to come without positive stops at each level, meaning the dial could be inadvertently cranked up or down.

The safe word is "Oklahoma"
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Rick wrote:

nope, no positive stops, and I'll admit, while its quite common chach has his "good boy" collar on its not that often I have it turned on, but when I was using it often trying to re train him I never had issues with it moving on its own more than 1 number either way. It goes from 1 to 127, chach is a 12, unless he's wound up and then a 14 may be needed to get his attention. I was not much of a believer in ecollars, after his accident I went there thinking it would help with the issues I was having, it didnt. I have him wear it now when out and about mainly to get his attention when he is distracted, for safety more than anything
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:48 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

Ruprick, put the cork back on your fork this instant
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby AKPirate » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 pm

jehler wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

Ruprick, put the cork back on your fork this instant

:lol:

YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Three years of abuse and it still works great. I chose this one because it's solid. The dogtra one's all felt flimsy in my hand. This one is like a brick.

Which ever you choose we can all agree Sportdog collars are all POS :lol:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Olly wrote:Three years of abuse and it still works great. I chose this one because it's solid. The dogtra one's all felt flimsy in my hand. This one is like a brick.

Which ever you choose we can all agree Sportdog collars are all POS :lol:

Hey now! I've had my SD for 6 years. The receiver went out last year, but I got a brand new replacement for less than $40.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 pm

I made the mistake of getting a Sportdog as a first collar. Didn't last a year. It was a case of you get what you pay for.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Olly wrote:I made the mistake of getting a Sportdog as a first collar. Didn't last a year. It was a case of you get what you pay for.

I have the SD-800. I've been very happy with it. It's not the top of the line by any means, but it isn't the bottom of the barrel...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 pm

I have a Sport Dog now, have been pleasantly surprised. Will be its fourth year. I didn;t get the cheap one though, I have a SD 1225, one of the few that had good reviews. The SD 400 is a POS, have seen many that are junk. I wanted to get another Dogtra, but my SD has a tone that a few dipshits said was audible from a distance. At the time my britt was 14, deaf, and almost blind, I wanted to make it beep and hear it so I could find him. Assholes lied to me, you can hear it to about 20 feet, thankfully it has been good so far.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

The collars that beep when the dog is on point are awesome. That could have been the sound the were thinking of...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RonE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Having gone to the "Shoot, Boot and Electrocute" school of dog training I would not use any collar but TriTronics. Infinitely adjustable? WTF? How about it shocks the dog for just a second or it shocks it for 9 seconds before it times out? Yes, there are degrees of electrocution that you can dial up on the TriTronics collar but you only need two, "not so bad" and "really bad" and zap or burn and you've got all the bases covered.

Remember that the dog needs to be conditioned to the collar and that the collar is only to be used when the dog isn't doing what it has been trained to do and knows how to do.

You really cannot plug two collars behind a dogs ears and use two transmitters to guide the dog anywhere you want, it just doesn't work.

I would much rather hunt with someone who screams at his dog, calls it names and has to throw rocks to get the dog to fetch a downed bird than to hunt with someone who shocks the shit out of his dog because he doesn't have a trained dog and doesn't know how to use an electronic shock collar.

There are a lot of people who think that a $150 - 200 collar will make up for all the time you should have spent with your dog but didn't or will make a POS dog into an acceptable hunting retriever.

Surprising to me how many people will send their dog to a trainer and then go to the duck blind without a dog whistle.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Olly wrote:I made the mistake of getting a Sportdog as a first collar. Didn't last a year. It was a case of you get what you pay for.

I've had a sportdog almost 8 years and it still works great. I thought I remembered it being the '2000' but but after looking at their website I see they don't make a '2000'. Either they changed models or I'm just confused.
Anyway, after about 6 months the battery on the receiver went dead and wouldn't hold a charge for more than 20 minutes, called them up and told them what was going on and that it was new but I didn't have a reciept because I bought it off ebay. They sent me a new receiver and collar, told me to keep the old collar as a spare, they asked that I send back the other reciever in the postage paid box. Easy peasy no questions asked.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum