Summertime work

Everything Duck Dogs!

Summertime work

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:38 pm

With this heat work sessions are short and either early or late. What is everyone working on with their pups?

Slipped in about 20 minutes of work tonight using the field stand.

Quick dip in the water tub to cool off

TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Summertime work

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:34 am

I can't wait to get a dog. Between Josh, Jarbo, TK, Red, and some other regulars here, I'm looking forward to learning as I go without being judged. I always wanted to fill the other dog forum with uppercuts every time I went in there.
assateague

Summertime work

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 am

I'm still working on obedience and steadiness. Can't ever find time to throw in more stuff because we're always on the basics. I have no doubt that it's her master and not her. Learning as we're going.

I'm taking her to the lake every chance I get as well.
Westie25

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:51 am

Westie25 wrote:I'm still working on obedience and steadiness. Can't ever find time to throw in more stuff because we're always on the basics. I have no doubt that it's her master and not her. Learning as we're going.

I'm taking her to the lake every chance I get as well.

Keep it up. I'd rather sit in a blind with an obedient/ steady dog than a dog who kinda knows how to hunt, but who's obedience is lacking
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am

Been doin a buncha tune up work in the field, blinds mostly. Have been spending a lot of time working with a guy and his chessie pup, so we've kinda backed off and are doing some easier stuff. His dog's making great strides. Probably next week sometime we'll step it up alittle and start working taller grass and do a lot more water work.

Do it AT. With your work schedule (from home), should be a piece of cake
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: Summertime work

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 am

Brandy's next training phase-

Boat work

Tomkat

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 am

Not working on much during this heat, though the other night, I took Karma out for some refresher drills. We did some casting drills...steadiness and running blinds.
goodkarmarising

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:39 am

goodkarmarising wrote:Not working on much during this heat, though the other night, I took Karma out for some refresher drills. We did some casting drills...steadiness and running blinds.

and swim by?!
Redbeard

Summertime work

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 am

Redbeard wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Not working on much during this heat, though the other night, I took Karma out for some refresher drills. We did some casting drills...steadiness and running blinds.

and swim by?!

Oh, hahahahaha!!
Westie25

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 am

Redbeard wrote:Been doin a buncha tune up work in the field, blinds mostly. Have been spending a lot of time working with a guy and his chessie pup, so we've kinda backed off and are doing some easier stuff. His dog's making great strides. Probably next week sometime we'll step it up alittle and start working taller grass and do a lot more water work.

I'm thinking when the kids go back to school would be a good time. If The Dingo is a bad influence, I'm going to trade her in for some paper towels and shotgun shells, and tell the wife she ran away with one of the barn cats.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 am

Redbeard wrote:

and swim by?!

Red, at least 20% of the time, you really are funny :mrgreen: This is one of those times. Should we all pitch in and get GKR an E collar for christmas?

OK, that was non nearly as funny....
Tomkat

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:37 am

Tomkat wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

and swim by?!

Red, at least 20% of the time, you really are funny :mrgreen: This is one of those times. Should we all pitch in and get GKR an E collar for christmas?

OK, that was non nearly as funny....

I'll take 20%! I was think the Pro Guide vest by Filson
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342798692.532250.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Redbeard

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 am

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Been doin a buncha tune up work in the field, blinds mostly. Have been spending a lot of time working with a guy and his chessie pup, so we've kinda backed off and are doing some easier stuff. His dog's making great strides. Probably next week sometime we'll step it up alittle and start working taller grass and do a lot more water work.

I'm thinking when the kids go back to school would be a good time. If The Dingo is a bad influence, I'm going to trade her in for some paper towels and shotgun shells, and tell the wife she ran away with one of the barn cats.

oh ya you do got da bug
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 am

Assa, why not just use the dingo for a water dog? I mean, if a poodle and a german sheppard dog make great water dogs...

In all honesty, I do believe you can train most dogs to be decent hunting dogs. They may be lacking some skills or physical traits that are more favorable, but that doesn't mean a dog won't hunt.

My poor pup has had no direction from me in a long time. Dealing with foster puppies took that time all away, and now that they are gone she got kennel cough. She's getting over that now though so we've done a couple bumper retrieves in the yard, but my BIG problem is she's showing gun shyness. Even from little whipper snappers. I need to get my hands on some live birds to get her all hyped up about something before I can start working on getting her over that shyness though because bumpers, balls, even food, she just isn't enthusiastic about it enough to help her overcome something by using any of those.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Goldfish wrote:Assa, why not just use the dingo for a water dog? I mean, if a poodle and a german sheppard dog make great water dogs...

In all honesty, I do believe you can train most dogs to be decent hunting dogs. They may be lacking some skills or physical traits that are more favorable, but that doesn't mean a dog won't hunt.

My poor pup has had no direction from me in a long time. Dealing with foster puppies took that time all away, and now that they are gone she got kennel cough. She's getting over that now though so we've done a couple bumper retrieves in the yard, but my BIG problem is she's showing gun shyness. Even from little whipper snappers. I need to get my hands on some live birds to get her all hyped up about something before I can start working on getting her over that shyness though because bumpers, balls, even food, she just isn't enthusiastic about it enough to help her overcome something by using any of those.

She is absolutely terrified of gunshots. She turns into an instant crackhead when there's a loud noise, as if there's a ton of bricks falling on her. I know I could desensitize her, but do I really want to spend that kind of time on a "settle for" dog? Not really. I have enjoyed just working with her training her (yes, my wife still believes The Dingo is just that smart, and that she picked it up "on her own", rather than because I sneakily work with her for at least a little while every day while my wife is at work. Bless her heart.) I think it'll help me out when I get a hunting dog of my own, although The Dingo is pretty smart, so I may have an unrealistic expectation when it come to a Lab or GSP. (I've given up on the chessies until the kids are gone)
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Dont you want a standard poodle? :-o
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Believe it or not, I've heard great things about poodles. I'm not trying to stir the pot in the least, and I know that practically everything "useful" has been bred out of them. But if they still had decent hunting stock at a reasonable price, I'd get one in a second. A dog that doesn't shed and is hypoallergenic? Sold.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:36 pm

I have heard nothing but great things about the poodle, they are ugly though, and I am a proud owner of a so called UGLY dog. AT, sounds like a Taz dog would be right up your alley, very minimal shedding and good for allergy sufferers.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Goldfish wrote:Assa, why not just use the dingo for a water dog? I mean, if a poodle and a german sheppard dog make great water dogs...

I could use a heeler at times to round up all the coots that come into my dekes
Redbeard

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Goldfish wrote:My poor pup has had no direction from me in a long time. Dealing with foster puppies took that time all away, and now that they are gone she got kennel cough. She's getting over that now though so we've done a couple bumper retrieves in the yard, but my BIG problem is she's showing gun shyness. Even from little whipper snappers. I need to get my hands on some live birds to get her all hyped up about something before I can start working on getting her over that shyness though because bumpers, balls, even food, she just isn't enthusiastic about it enough to help her overcome something by using any of those.

how did you introduce your dog to gunfire originally?
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Goldfish wrote:My poor pup has had no direction from me in a long time. Dealing with foster puppies took that time all away, and now that they are gone she got kennel cough. She's getting over that now though so we've done a couple bumper retrieves in the yard, but my BIG problem is she's showing gun shyness. Even from little whipper snappers. I need to get my hands on some live birds to get her all hyped up about something before I can start working on getting her over that shyness though because bumpers, balls, even food, she just isn't enthusiastic about it enough to help her overcome something by using any of those.

:oops:

Running around in a field. Never had anyone who could help me by being farther away, and like I said, she's not crazy about anything, so I just went with it. She was actually fine with it at first. She has progressivly shown more and more shyness. Probably would help if I could hit a friggin bird for her to associate it with something good.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

:oops:

Running around in a field. Never had anyone who could help me by being farther away, and like I said, she's not crazy about anything, so I just went with it. She was actually fine with it at first. She has progressivly shown more and more shyness. Probably would help if I could hit a friggin bird for her to associate it with something good.

how old is she?
Redbeard

Summertime work

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I have heard nothing but great things about the poodle, they are ugly though, and I am a proud owner of a so called UGLY dog. AT, sounds like a Taz dog would be right up your alley, very minimal shedding and good for allergy sufferers.

I think Taz is an awesome looking dog. If I knew wtf I was doing, I'd get one.
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Redbeard wrote:how old is she?

Year and a half now. Still puppy inside, but getting better.
Goldfish

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Goldfish wrote:

did you introduce her to loud noises early on? You might wanna talk to josh before this becomes a bigger problem.
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

did you introduce her to loud noises early on? You might wanna talk to josh before this becomes a bigger problem.

I got her at 4 months old and she was skittish to the neighbors snowmobile. I have no doubt that she could overcome the issue. She doesn't care about fireworks (from a ways away, she doesn't like black cats when I light them off), nor thunder. My friend says he built a pigeon trap, so I was going to try and trap some live birds and if she isn't crazy about those. I know that is the way you are supposed to introduce the gun. He just got a puppy now, so he's interested in live birds as well so hopefully this will work out. I'm not going to push her, and hopefully with him getting a puppy I'll have someone to help with this. Only prob is he's about 45 minutes away.

I won't give up on Bella, but I'm sure not going to push her. I also need to work on her fetching more. She's more of a labradore leaver than a labradore retreiver. I know, I know, force fetch. All in due time. She's my first dog, and it's not going to kill me to kick the brush myself for another year or two, or row to get my own birds.
Goldfish

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Josh or others might know better, but not so sure live birds with gunfire at this point would be a good idea. If she's scared of the gunfire I wouldn't want her associating the birds with it.

I'd start small, carefully banging pots and pans or 2x4's together while she eats. Increasing the noise as she becomes more comfortable with it.

Introduce the gunfire later. And when ya do, maybe 22's or starter gun from a distance. As she becomes more comfortable decrease the distance. Then eventually introduce the shotgun.

Gun shyness is not an easy thing to overcome.

For any pro's out there, if I'm way off base let me know
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Start over from the beginning as though it was a new puppy. Live birds can be a great way to get the dog fired up and excited, but as said above, be careful. I would start with a cap gun from a distance and start working my way back up, this is not a race, do not advance until each step is complete. Taz had such a high drive for his bumpers I used them for his gun intro. We were quite a ways from the shooting, throwing the bumper each time there was a shot, we slowly worked closer, from day one he thought guns were awesome, it meant he got to chase something. Still curious as to what Josh has to say.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Summertime work

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Na, birds and guns won't be introduced at the same time. I just want her crazy about something. My real problem is I need another body to start the noise a ways away.

But like I said, I'm in no hurry. I hunted my whole life without a dog. A little more ain't going to kill me.
Goldfish

Summertime work

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I see where you'd get that from my post, but what I'd like is to get her crazy about birds, and then when she finally has drive to get something, start to introduce gunfire. Starting with a .22, then progressing louder.
Goldfish

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum