Summertime work

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Summertime work

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Redbeard wrote:Josh or others might know better, but not so sure live birds with gunfire at this point would be a good idea. If she's scared of the gunfire I wouldn't want her associating the birds with it.

I'd start small, carefully banging pots and pans or 2x4's together while she eats. Increasing the noise as she becomes more comfortable with it.

Introduce the gunfire later. And when ya do, maybe 22's or starter gun from a distance. As she becomes more comfortable decrease the distance. Then eventually introduce the shotgun.

Gun shyness is not an easy thing to overcome.

For any pro's out there, if I'm way off base let me know

This is exactly what I did. I started using my hands and clapping around him while he was eating. Then I moved up to 2x4s then to .22 then to 12 gauge blanks and finally the real thing all over a 6 months or so time frame.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:15 am

Had a great training session in the water yesterday. We've been putting off water work til my buddy's chessie pup had shown improvement on lines and blinds. Charlie's been antsy to get back in the water. Hit up a grassy slough at high tide at one of my favorite private hunting spots. Probably worked the dogs alittle more than we shoulda, but they appeared to be having a good time. Charlie did well and the chessie, Brant, is really making great strides.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:24 am

Awesome Red. My pup is with the ol lady at her parents for this week getting ready for the wedding. Killing me not being able to work with him
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Not working on much during this heat, though the other night, I took Karma out for some refresher drills. We did some casting drills...steadiness and running blinds.

and swim by?!

Red, at least 20% of the time, you really are funny :mrgreen: This is one of those times. Should we all pitch in and get GKR an E collar for christmas?

OK, that was non nearly as funny....

I'll take 20%! I was think the Pro Guide vest by Filson
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342798692.532250.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are too much.
goodkarmarising

Summertime work

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Man, every time I see this thread bumped it reminds me how much I want a dog. Stupid Dingo.
assateague

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Marshmutt wrote:I just love hearing about guys working their dogs! We work 2 times daily!

http://www.marshmutt.com
Keeping The Steel Flying and Dogs Retrieving

wish I could train more often.

My boy's only 4 four, but I've been aching for another pup to train something fierce. Although working with my buddy and his chessie pup has kinda satisfied that desire for now.

The family leaves again next week for another weeklong trip. I'll have Charlie out everyday for sure.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 am

I try to get out daily with my mutts. Saturday I had both dogs work on honoring each other while the other was retrieving, which can be hard at times when they both want every retrieve. I have about 10 different areas I can take my mutts within about 30 minutes to constantly change things up on them.
goodkarmarising

Summertime work

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 am

goodkarmarising wrote:I try to get out daily with my mutts. Saturday I had both dogs work on honoring each other while the other was retrieving, which can be hard at times when they both want every retrieve. I have about 10 different areas I can take my mutts within about 30 minutes to constantly change things up on them.

that's cool. Changing the setting and environment can be important.
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 am

Bump...let's see them dogs working in that heat
Redbeard

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 am

training.jpg

This is what typical summer training should look like around here.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
goodkarmarising

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 am

It would take a dog Karma's size to scare off the aligator gar in Bean Lake.....
Tomkat

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 am

I can walk the lake bed right now and most of the retrieves in that lake right now, the dog isn't swimming. But I have seen some pretty big alligator gars brought in out of that lake.
goodkarmarising

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am

That looks like a picture Rick Hall would post
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 pm

I'll see what I can get this afternoon. Our field is pretty grown up with all the rain we got the last few weeks.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby josh ward » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Mostly just been running my pattern blinds with the big dogs early in the morning. Then booking back to the kennel and doing my OB and FF dogs. Been too hot lately to even work much at all in the evenings
HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper HRC 500pt Club
Brandywine's Big nose Kate
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Postby josh ward » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Goldfish, PM me or call me if you need some help on the gun shyness thing, I've fixed several gunshy dogs. Been a few I couldn't fix too.....
HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper HRC 500pt Club
Brandywine's Big nose Kate
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm

josh ward wrote:Mostly just been running my pattern blinds with the big dogs early in the morning. Then booking back to the kennel and doing my OB and FF dogs. Been too hot lately to even work much at all in the evenings

can you explain pattern blinds?
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Pup is really building on his confidence in the last couple days. Been slowly working in the collar on his whistle sits and added a right cast today as well. Back cast to pile 30 yards away then when half way there whistle sit him and give the right cast. Only mishap was when I put the side pile to close to his back line and he took a shortcut. My fault
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Pup is really building on his confidence in the last couple days. Been slowly working in the collar on his whistle sits and added a right cast today as well. Back cast to pile 30 yards away then when half way there whistle sit him and give the right cast. Only mishap was when I put the side pile to close to his back line and he took a shortcut. My fault

sounds good!
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:46 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:
training.jpg

I like training in areas like this, really makes the dog use its nose
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am

jarbo03 wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:
training.jpg

I like training in areas like this, really makes the dog use its nose

So do I. It also develops trust between you and your dog. I need to get my garage cleaned out and break out the dummy launcher.
goodkarmarising

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 am

I always prefer to do my training where I am hunting. During the week we go out to a little field/marsh here in town but on the weekends if I can I prefer to take the boat out and do training there.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 am

Olly wrote:I always prefer to do my training where I am hunting. During the week we go out to a little field/marsh here in town but on the weekends if I can I prefer to take the boat out and do training there.

yea most of my training spots are my hunting spots also
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:43 am

Had the pup out doing some handling drills this morning at the new place. Have a vacant lot with very short grass that is awesome! He tries to cheat more than in tall grass and I get to add more correction (not from collar). Big strides being made IMO. Will try and get the bride to be out later for pictures.

Then came back and did one of my favorite "games". Blackie (not enough manners for a gun dog, my fault) gets to break and go crazy while the pup is at a remote sit. All he does is watch and will get one retrieve at some point to keep it fun for him. He LOVES chasing her around so it is very tempting for him. No breaks today and creeping not tolerated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343569438.167872.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343569451.975211.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343569466.439443.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Went out again tonight to one of the local rivers and worked on honoring each other.
goodkarmarising

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm

I would like to try that dummy launcher from my layout boat...out in the big water. That would give the brown dog some swimming time.
Tomkat

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Tomkat wrote:I would like to try that dummy launcher from my layout boat...out in the big water. That would give the brown dog some swimming time.

You got a dummy launcher? If not I could bring mine over one Saturday.
goodkarmarising

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:51 pm

goodkarmarising

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm

goodkarmarising

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Boys are looking good, guarantee they are digging being in the water right now. :thumbsup:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Dog Forum