Anyone ever had this issue with dog?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Anyone ever had this issue with dog?

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:32 pm

As some of you know I've been hunting in WY the past week. Well, on Monday my dog had what appeared to be a scrap or wide scratch on his nose when the day was over. It was bleeding some during the hunt but, I didn't think much of it. My dogs are trained in blackberry and thick brush and they both bulldog their way through anything if there is something to retrieve. It's not uncommon for them to end up with bleeding scraps and such on their face.
Anyway, as it progressed over the next few days, the brown covering at the top of his nose has come of and he has a raw pink area. I haven't seen this before and got me wondering if it was from the ice and shoving his face in the snow to dry off.
Has anyone else experienced this with their dog in cold or extreme cold situations?

Here is a picture of how it looks today in the blind.

QH's Paw

Re: Anyone ever had this issue with dog?

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Snow nose, no shit it's a thing. My wife noticed our dogs nose has gotten lighter and Googled it. His is not bleeding though so I can't speak for that.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:37 pm

I see this more often while upland hunting. Definitely gets worse in icy and cold conditions. I rub some vaseline on it for a few days, til it gets toughened up.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:59 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I see this more often while upland hunting. Definitely gets worse in icy and cold conditions. I rub some vaseline on it for a few days, til it gets toughened up.

What about bag balm? I use that on their paws when they crack and bleed from the extreme cold. I also put it on as a preemptive measure when in the negative temps. Works like Vaseline to keep ice and snow from building up in their paw and between toes.
QH's Paw

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Have never used it.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 pm

You can tell Taz has lost the hair around his nose.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby RonE » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:27 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:I see this more often while upland hunting. Definitely gets worse in icy and cold conditions. I rub some vaseline on it for a few days, til it gets toughened up.

What about bag balm? I use that on their paws when they crack and bleed from the extreme cold. I also put it on as a preemptive measure when in the negative temps. Works like Vaseline to keep ice and snow from building up in their paw and between toes.

The least expensive and most effective ointment I have found is A & D ointment. Used for diaper rash, it works great on chapped and cracked hands and on my dogs when their elbows and feet are cracked and starting to weep a little blood. Also use it around the dogs eyes when it has been running through tall grass, reeds and brush.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Return to Gun Dog Forum