Cheating the bank

Everything Duck Dogs!

Cheating the bank

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:02 pm

It seems to be turning into an issue for me that my dog will enter the water fine but if he has to come out on land or even get close to the bank he is out for good. I have seen him run around a two acre tank before instead of make a 50 swim straight back to me and have lost crips that we couldn't get back on fast enough. I found a smaller pond near the house to try and break him of this habit but with no success today, granted only the first day at it. Tried sitting him once he hits the other bank and tossing a bumper out in the water but he could care less with one in his mouth. My wife was there for a brief minute and tried to send him back from the other side but, bless her heart, it is her first rodeo. The house shoes of course were no help and planning on having her wear her boots next time and walk him into the water to start. Has anybody else dealt with this before or have any ideas of things to try?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Cheating the bank

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Flightstopper wrote:It seems to be turning into an issue for me that my dog will enter the water fine but if he has to come out on land or even get close to the bank he is out for good. I have seen him run around a two acre tank before instead of make a 50 swim straight back to me and have lost crips that we couldn't get back on fast enough. I found a smaller pond near the house to try and break him of this habit but with no success today, granted only the first day at it. Tried sitting him once he hits the other bank and tossing a bumper out in the water but he could care less with one in his mouth. My wife was there for a brief minute and tried to send him back from the other side but, bless her heart, it is her first rodeo. The house shoes of course were no help and planning on having her wear her boots next time and walk him into the water to start. Has anybody else dealt with this before or have any ideas of things to try?

Might be a lost cause asking here. Most of these guys want their dogs cheating.

I have only worked on my 2 dogs but I just never let them do it from the start so they never have. I think Matt Duncan posted on how he decheats a dog somewhere here.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:It seems to be turning into an issue for me that my dog will enter the water fine but if he has to come out on land or even get close to the bank he is out for good. I have seen him run around a two acre tank before instead of make a 50 swim straight back to me and have lost crips that we couldn't get back on fast enough. I found a smaller pond near the house to try and break him of this habit but with no success today, granted only the first day at it. Tried sitting him once he hits the other bank and tossing a bumper out in the water but he could care less with one in his mouth. My wife was there for a brief minute and tried to send him back from the other side but, bless her heart, it is her first rodeo. The house shoes of course were no help and planning on having her wear her boots next time and walk him into the water to start. Has anybody else dealt with this before or have any ideas of things to try?

Might be a lost cause asking here. Most of these guys want their dogs cheating.

I have only worked on my 2 dogs but I just never let them do it from the start so they never have. I think Matt Duncan posted on how he decheats a dog somewhere here.

Yeah I remember that thread for sure. The fact that I've lost crips to him cheating when they could of been had easy if he'd just come back has me fed up.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Wouldn't you wan t to go to bigger water? Something he couldn't run around?

Sorry if I'm an idiot - I fully opend this thread thinking someone had found a way to avoid fees.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Wouldn't you wan t to go to bigger water? Something he couldn't run around?

Sorry if I'm an idiot - I fully opend this thread thinking someone had found a way to avoid fees.

Haha, I agree with you but can't find bigger water that he could hit the other bank on here
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:33 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Wouldn't you wan t to go to bigger water? Something he couldn't run around?

He got your Jewry senses tingling
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 pm

I sensed a disturbance in the force
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 pm

We have always started with straight line retrieves on land and when that was down pretty good, moved to open water with the bumper or bird in the water to where the retrieve in a straight line is the shortest route. Next try a retrieve over a body of water, stream, river or ditch without current is preferable (straight line from bank to bank). Now that he has that down, start little by little increasing the angle across the ditch and if the dog tries to cheat the line, burn the crap out of him. Once he gets good at crossing water in a straight line, it is time to run marks that cross points or islands. When he cheats burn him but not unless he has demonstrated the ability to do the job right.

I have seen well trained field trial dogs "squeal" when their feet hit shallow water at the end of a point when lining a mark.

As mentioned, most people don't care and in fact think that their dog is really smart but when hunting if a dog cheats a line, the bird if crippled can swim in the direction of the bank and the dog can pass the bird on the way to where it went down.

This is training the dog to line a mark without handling the dog on the way. It is always better to line the mark rather than having to handle the dog to the mark

The owner of Hightest Kennels ( http://www.hightest.com/ ) will be hunting with me next week, feel free to call and ask John for some pointers.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Nice looking place he has, Ron. Thanks
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm

How would one avoid fees?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Cash in a mason jar. Or don't spend more than you have. Either way works well for me. I haven't paid a bank fee in ages.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Same here with the don't buy if you don't have. Only 3 things I've ever taken a loan out for are a truck, 1st house and a boat.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Same here with the don't buy if you don't have. Only 3 things I've ever taken a loan out for are a truck, 1st house and a yacht.

FIFY
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Back on topic...
I apologize in advance for using the DHC dog forum standard reply but...it has to be said.
Did you force fetch your dog? I think the answer is no.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 pm

This one don't cheat and you can put that in the bank.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:Back on topic...
I apologize in advance for using the DHC dog forum standard reply but...it has to be said.

You would be incorrect. Where would you go from there?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Force fetch him again :lol:
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Back on topic...

You would be incorrect. Where would you go from there?

FF has absolutely nothing to do with cheating a bank. Id be training with a 100' rope and 2 people to fix it.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Only skybusters need to worry about their dog cheating the bank.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 pm

What does it really matter?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Same here with the don't buy if you don't have. Only 3 things I've ever taken a loan out for are a truck, 1st house and a yacht.
FIFY
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

FIFY
haha beat me to it
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Redbeard wrote:
FIFY

Ummm...I said that 9 days ago...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
FIFY

and I just opened the thread
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
FIFY

and I just opened the thread

:lol:

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Totally Redbearded
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
FIFY

You beat him by 9 days.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm

I take my boat into the middle of the lake, toss dummies, and send dog..
Problem solved, no bank.
I hunt in flooded timber. What bank?

I have no need to de bank or whatever its called.
aunt betty

Return to Gun Dog Forum