Any new pups to train?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Any new pups to train?

Postby banknote » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 pm

ea oneal wrote:
013.jpg
ill try to keep up. but lil buddy is growing fast this was just month or so back .he is fetchen a sock with duck wings in it .the main problem is as the girl,s say he,s soooo cute.i have to go dig him out of a bed just to work with him. and he is working on rotten. :?

Damn that's cute.
banknote

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 pm

assateague wrote:
Rick wrote:
assateague wrote:I've got to really get cracking with Dutch. His test is in April, and neither he nor I are ready.

That's one of the advantages I've found in testing: holds my otherwise procrastinating training feet to the fire for fear of public humiliation.

You've got that right. Odd that I would not be near as embarrassed to have a marginal dog in the blind, by myself, as to have a heathen on a test course in front of God and everybody. Sad, but true.

We're still working on OB, and using his nose. Walking ditch banks, whoa, and would be working on steady to flush, but there's nothing to flush. Most of his points are on voles and some songbirds. There's just nothing else around. Need to get some more pigeons. And definitely need more gun work.

Don't worry bout steadiness for his NA test. Get him comfortable searching for birds and being away from you in the field. Has to point and hold, obedience and compkiancy are judged here, make sure he will recall instantly, a collar can not be used. Will have to retrieve a dummy out of water, not a big deal. The biggest problem for most is the track. Start doing drags with pigeons, then maybe release a wing clipped birds, if possible do this with clipped pheasant.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby ea oneal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 pm

IMG_0314.JPG
051.jpg
IMG_0313.JPG

were dog poor. this years rookie ,the old man an the kid.jd the rookie did ok but some stuff we still got to work on.the old man is bullit proof just 10 yrs old and eyes aint so good so he goes with me and we take it easy got the heart and it hurt,s him not to go.been so good i want to just let him live out last years and be happy. the kid well as with all dogs you train an hope and some time cuss .aint duck huntin fun
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
ea oneal

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:09 pm

ea oneal wrote:
013.jpg
ill try to keep up. but lil buddy is growing fast this was just month or so back .he is fetchen a sock with duck wings in it .the main problem is as the girl,s say he,s soooo cute.i have to go dig him out of a bed just to work with him. and he is working on rotten. :?
cute pup. Your kids are gonna make him a great house dog huh
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 pm

ea oneal wrote:
IMG_0314.JPG
051.jpg
IMG_0313.JPG

were dog poor. this years rookie ,the old man an the kid.jd the rookie did ok but some stuff we still got to work on.the old man is bullit proof just 10 yrs old and eyes aint so good so he goes with me and we take it easy got the heart and it hurt,s him not to go.been so good i want to just let him live out last years and be happy. the kid well as with all dogs you train an hope and some time cuss .aint duck huntin fun
I know about dog poor now
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby ea oneal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Redbeard wrote:
ea oneal wrote:
013.jpg
cute pup. Your kids are gonna make him a great house dog huh

man i hope not .but the fact that the girl.s in my house hunt real hard i have somewhat of a chance .plus im waiting on the something getting chewd up and i hear(he,s your dog ) cute last,s just sooo long :thumbsup:
ea oneal

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Looking good, Red!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby barenn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 am

Been to cold and snow is to deep, seems like forever since we have been out up here. Either to much snow or ice and the dogs have put on a few pounds,,my 20 month old male is pushin 109 lbs and they are anxious to get out training.
barenn

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:06 am

Those are some good looking dogs. What I want me next lab to look like.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby barenn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:49 am

Both are Chessies, the male has a coat like a lab and looks pretty close to a lab
barenn

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 pm

barenn wrote:Been to cold and snow is to deep, seems like forever since we have been out up here. Either to much snow or ice and the dogs have put on a few pounds,,my 20 month old male is pushin 109 lbs and they are anxious to get out training.
great looking dogs
Redbeard

Postby don novicki » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:54 pm

Got a male Chessie coming in mid May from High Power Retrievers in Missouri. Can't wait to get the little fella home and get going. I guess the first thing I will need will be a name for him........ :thumbsup:
don novicki

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 pm

ea oneal wrote:
013.jpg

That's a great pic
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:58 am

don novicki wrote:Got a male Chessie coming in mid May from High Power Retrievers in Missouri. Can't wait to get the little fella home and get going. I guess the first thing I will need will be a name for him........ :thumbsup:

Being a believer in expectation theory, I try to choose names with promise, but have been known to bow to grandchild mandate. Enjoy that little Bay dog.
Rick

Postby waterfowlman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 am

Rick wrote:
assateague wrote:He told you to train by building on successes rather than training through corrections.

Yup.

When I was in my 20's I got a 7 week old Chessie pup from a man in town who knew the breed well. He taught me that they love to learn if the lessons are fun. He used what he called "positive reinforcement"......what Rick refers to as building on successes.
Took his advice (and some of his on hands help in the beginning). The instant "Luke" began to resist or fuck up he was kenneled. No reprimand, no scolding, just "funs over" get in the kennel. All that was ever required to control him was my stern voice and ending the lessons. Eventually he learned to love the lessons and they became longer and longer.
I am by no means a dog trainer and only learned what little I knew from a few older men in our camp but by the time he was two years old he was a retrieving machine. When we had large groups of men knocking down 8-10 broadbill at a time, I would just let him go to work. He would swim straight past 4 or 5 dead birds to chase cripples knowing he could get the dead birds later. Occasionally I would use the whistle to give him a line to a bird he couldn't see but that was it.
Guess I was lucky and his DNA made up for my lack of training knowledge but over the next few years I was offered some serious cash to part with him, which I never did. Had 14 great years with that guy.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:25 am

I just have to train my dog more, because I trained her up until she was just barely good enough to hunt, and stopped. I learned my lesson during the season though. The one thing I can say about my dog that my dads dog is bad about is my dog doesn't break, period.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:The one thing I can say about my dog that my dads dog is bad about is my dog doesn't break, period.

Brings the phrase "famous last words" to mind. When a friend of mine who trialed pointing dogs asked one of the all time great pointer trainers at what age his National Champion charge was "dead broke" (would never break), he was told, "Not yet."

If your dog has a good one's desire, it's eventually going to make you eat those words. "Period."
Rick

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am

Rick wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:The one thing I can say about my dog that my dads dog is bad about is my dog doesn't break, period.

Brings the phrase "famous last words" to mind. When a friend of mine who trialed pointing dogs asked one of the all time great pointer trainers at what age his National Champion charge was "dead broke" (would never break), he was told, "Not yet."

If your dog has a good one's desire, it's eventually going to make you eat those words. "Period."

Taz did that to me this year, at some point he'll do it again. It's the nature of living aninals. Hell, I tell people how to cover and walk a field while pheasant hunting, year after year they still can't get it right.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
Rick wrote:
assateague wrote:He told you to train by building on successes rather than training through corrections.

Yup.

When I was in my 20's I got a 7 week old Chessie pup from a man in town who knew the breed well. He taught me that they love to learn if the lessons are fun. He used what he called "positive reinforcement"......what Rick refers to as building on successes.
Took his advice (and some of his on hands help in the beginning). The instant "Luke" began to resist or fuck up he was kenneled. No reprimand, no scolding, just "funs over" get in the kennel. All that was ever required to control him was my stern voice and ending the lessons. Eventually he learned to love the lessons and they became longer and longer.
I am by no means a dog trainer and only learned what little I knew from a few older men in our camp but by the time he was two years old he was a retrieving machine. When we had large groups of men knocking down 8-10 broadbill at a time, I would just let him go to work. He would swim straight past 4 or 5 dead birds to chase cripples knowing he could get the dead birds later. Occasionally I would use the whistle to give him a line to a bird he couldn't see but that was it.
Guess I was lucky and his DNA made up for my lack of training knowledge but over the next few years I was offered some serious cash to part with him, which I never did. Had 14 great years with that guy.
I hear what you're saying. I feel like I'm starting to get it down
Redbeard

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum