Any new pups to train?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Any new pups to train?

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Anyone gonna be starting new pups or dogs for next season?

I got behind last off season and couldn't get Cadee up to speed where she was ready to hunt. Already starting with her now. Hopefully she'll be ready to go this Oct. She'll be 18 months old then
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390600438.719389.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: Any new pups to train?

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I've got to really get cracking with Dutch. His test is in April, and neither he nor I are ready.
assateague

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:39 pm

assateague wrote:I've got to really get cracking with Dutch. His test is in April, and neither he nor I are ready.

That's one of the advantages I've found in testing: holds my otherwise procrastinating training feet to the fire for fear of public humiliation.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm

assateague wrote:I've got to really get cracking with Dutch. His test is in April, and neither he nor I are ready.
how old is he now Jim? Let's see a full picture with a reference. Wanna see how big he's gettin
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Rick wrote:

That's one of the advantages I've found in testing: holds my otherwise procrastinating training feet to the fire for fear of public humiliation.
I gotta say Cadee sure is a sensitive thing. I've heard chessies have a tendency to be. But couldn't really tell ya if its a chessy thing, a female thing, or just specific to her
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Redbeard wrote:
how old is he now Jim? Let's see a full picture with a reference. Wanna see how big he's gettin

He's 6 months. Not sure if I've got anything for reference, as far as size goes. Breeder wanted some info yesterday, do since I measured I know he's 23" at the shoulder, and 51 pounds. We were out on a constitutional, and there were two hens jammed between the hay and the barn wall. He points quite a bit now, but I think this one was sound related, not scent. They were "putt-putt-putting" back in the hole.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390604738.965368.jpg
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Rick wrote:

You've got that right. Odd that I would not be near as embarrassed to have a marginal dog in the blind, by myself, as to have a heathen on a test course in front of God and everybody. Sad, but true.

We're still working on OB, and using his nose. Walking ditch banks, whoa, and would be working on steady to flush, but there's nothing to flush. Most of his points are on voles and some songbirds. There's just nothing else around. Need to get some more pigeons. And definitely need more gun work.
assateague

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Redbeard wrote:I gotta say Cadee sure is a sensitive thing. I've heard chessies have a tendency to be. But couldn't really tell ya if its a chessy thing, a female thing, or just specific to her

I keep reading that Chessies will shut down under too much pressure, but mine have taken my quick temper pretty much in stride. Sort of "Get over it, Pop, and maybe we can accomplish something."
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

He's 6 months. Not sure if I've got anything for reference, as far as size goes. Breeder wanted some info yesterday, do since I measured I know he's 23" at the shoulder, and 51 pounds. We were out on a constitutional, and there were two hens jammed between the hay and the barn wall. He points quite a bit now, but I think this one was sound related, not scent. They were "putt-putt-putting" back in the hole.

man he's a good looking mutt
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:I gotta say Cadee sure is a sensitive thing. I've heard chessies have a tendency to be. But couldn't really tell ya if its a chessy thing, a female thing, or just specific to her

I keep reading that Chessies will shut down under too much pressure, but mine have taken my quick temper pretty much in stride. Sort of "Get over it, Pop, and maybe we can accomplish something."
I've read the same stuff. But this one has a sensitive side
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Since this is a training thread, I may have wrongly assumed you meant sensitive in a training sense, instead of plain ol' sensitive, in which case a couple of mine have been very much so, to include the current coyote:

Rick

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Rick wrote:Since this is a training thread, I may have wrongly assumed you meant sensitive in a training sense, instead of plain ol' sensitive, in which case a couple of mine have been very much so, to include the current coyote:

yes in training. I'm finding myself having to be extra patient with her
Redbeard

Postby banknote » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I'll be working a bunch with Kiowa after season ends this weekend. He's a little less than a month away from a year old and has had a really fun season. Definitely has the fire in his belly, just needs to handle better and get some work in on blinds. Yesterday he did great finding two different cripples. One pinny hen actually took off from under a grass clump and he caught it in the air. Then a teal kept diving and coming up on the other side of him, until Ki went completely under water for a few seconds and came up with bird in mouth. Pretty cool stuff.
banknote

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Redbeard wrote:yes in training. I'm finding myself having to be extra patient with her

Mitch Patterson, who's had a hand in as many Chesapeake Field Champions as anyone, as well as several Lab FCs, opined that he usually found the balance between building on successes or corrections leaned more toward the former with Chessies than Labs.
Rick

Postby RonE » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Redbeard wrote:Anyone gonna be starting new pups or dogs for next season?

I got behind last off season and couldn't get Cadee up to speed where she was ready to hunt. Already starting with her now. Hopefully she'll be ready to go this Oct. She'll be 18 months old then

Nice looking bitch. Hope you don't let her ride around in the bed of the truck. My friend in Oroville had a Chessie that was a field champion when I met him, quite a dog but really hard headed and a totally one man dog. Good luck with her training.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby DC727 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm ready to have a dog again.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
NuffDaddy wrote:Nigga ran that back like he had my VCR
DC727

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:yes in training. I'm finding myself having to be extra patient with her

Mitch Patterson, who's had a hand in as many Chesapeake Field Champions as anyone, as well as several Lab FCs, opined that he usually found the balance between building on successes or corrections leaned more toward the former with Chessies than Labs.
honestly Rick I'm trying, but missing your point. Would ya mind dumbing it down alittle for me. Seriously though curious
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 pm

RonE wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Anyone gonna be starting new pups or dogs for next season?

Nice looking bitch. Hope you don't let her ride around in the bed of the truck. My friend in Oroville had a Chessie that was a field champion when I met him, quite a dog but really hard headed and a totally one man dog. Good luck with her training.
thanks. She's rides kenneled or tethered
Redbeard

Postby AKPirate » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:33 pm

Charlie and Cadee were fun to see in person. Bo is already on his way to being a mean hoops player
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Rick wrote:

honestly Rick I'm trying, but missing your point. Would ya mind dumbing it down alittle for me. Seriously though curious

He told you to train by building on successes rather than training through corrections.
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Per an old trainer, who thought that the opposite approach applied to Labs.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:58 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Rick wrote:

He told you to train by building on successes rather than training through corrections.
Ahh I see. Was completing missing his point. That has been my approach the last couple of days
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:14 am

Rick wrote:Since this is a training thread, I may have wrongly assumed you meant sensitive in a training sense, instead of plain ol' sensitive, in which case a couple of mine have been very much so, to include the current coyote:

It's a trap, that dog is more ferocious than any pit! If you stop scratching his ear for half a second he might just put a cold nose in your side. Evil I tell you!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 am

Naw, just trying to keep his ears warm.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:49 am

assateague wrote:He told you to train by building on successes rather than training through corrections.

Yup.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:03 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

you gunna have a big dog. Six months is still a baby.

For reference: Milo is 24.5" tall and weighed about the same as your pup at that age.

Go easy AT...baby the dog til its almost three and get ready, In about 8 weeks your pup will just shut down one day. Its a phase so just back off when you get there.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby ea oneal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

IMG_0312.JPG
yep this lil guy
ea oneal

Postby AKPirate » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm

ea oneal wrote:
IMG_0312.JPG
yep this lil guy

Beautiful pup EA. Looking forward to watching him grow up on here.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby ea oneal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm

013.jpg
ill try to keep up. but lil buddy is growing fast this was just month or so back .he is fetchen a sock with duck wings in it .the main problem is as the girl,s say he,s soooo cute.i have to go dig him out of a bed just to work with him. and he is working on rotten. :?
ea oneal

Postby AKPirate » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:16 pm

ea oneal wrote:
013.jpg
ill try to keep up. but lil buddy is growing fast this was just month or so back .he is fetchen a sock with duck wings in it .the main problem is as the girl,s say he,s soooo cute.i have to go dig him out of a bed just to work with him. and he is working on rotten. :?

Sleeping on a duck!
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum