Casting drills

Everything Duck Dogs!

Casting drills

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am

Anybody know any other simple casting drills besides baseball? Crazy schedule has killed my training time the last month at crucial times with his casting. I dot want him to get bored and loose interest by keep going through the same thing.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Casting drills

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Worked the dog on simple T's yet?
goodkarmarising

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Where you give a back cast or send from heel, whistle stop then give cast? Then yes some, didn't know if it was too much for him. He started "shopping" at the pile more when I wasn't right near him with control of the cord. Not like that's even close to the end of the world IMO but brought him back to baseball to try and fix it first.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Where you give a back cast or send from heel, whistle stop then give cast? Then yes some, didn't know if it was too much for him.

Mowed rows in tall grass can help clearly define to the pup what you want him to do. With my first dog, I found a conservation area that had mowed rows and that helped me keep the pup running in a straight line. Also had a place where there were rows of trees planted and they was mowing between the rows of trees and kept everything around the young trees unmowed, so could push the pup out on longer blind retrieves. Also happened to find a place where I could do T's the same way. After running drills where he had a defined line to run, moved it out into a open stubble field or short field, then incorporated it into marshes, tall grass, etc.
goodkarmarising

Postby Redbeard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 pm

GKR is right. Change the setting as often as possible. It's funny how well your pup will learn how to do it at one field, but is completely lost in a different field doing the same drill. Change setting. Change environments when the time's right
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Return to Gun Dog Forum