Fun afternoon

Everything Duck Dogs!

Fun afternoon

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Got Taz out for the first time since hunting season closed, was a little rusty but was having much needed fun. Set up a 150 yard blind before leaving, cast wasnt good but job was accomplished.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395103407798.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395103426041.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395103463141.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395103482933.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Re: Fun afternoon

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 pm

video is set to private
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Woody wrote:video is set to private

Should work now.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Good stuff Taz! That's a hell of a whistle!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Good stuff Taz! That's a hell of a whistle!

Ha. Duck Commander drake whistle, but my phone was beeping cause my battery was goin dead.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Good deal Jerry
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:07 pm

jarbo03 wrote:

Ha. Duck Commander drake whistle, but my phone was beeping cause my battery was goin dead.

Yella dog bailed off the couch and took off straight to the bedroom. Dog still hates strange recorded noises lol
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 am

I noticed you asked the dog to "Mark" the blind and sent the dog on "Back". Which I find a little odd. Are you using "Mark" to get the dog excited?

On marked birds, I usually send the dog on the dogs name ("Wendy" in my case) and on blinds, send the dog on "Back".

Great video of a nice looking dog.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Fun afternoon

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 am

RonE wrote:I noticed you asked the dog to "Mark" the blind and sent the dog on "Back". Which I find a little odd. Are you using "Mark" to get the dog excited?

On marked birds, I usually send the dog on the dogs name ("Wendy" in my case) and on blinds, send the dog on "Back".

when I line Charlie or Cadee up on a blind I'll tell em to mark. Did it outta habit after throwing marks for Charlie when he was younger. Is it wrong? Dunno. But on those occasions when I heel em and they're alittle loose, a little "Mark" perks em up, draws their attention and lines their nose with their spine. But I do give a "back" command on blinds and their name on marks.

If its wrong and anyone can give me sound reasoning behind it, I'll gladly change what I do
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 am

Flightstopper wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

Yella dog bailed off the couch and took off straight to the bedroom. Dog still hates strange recorded noises lol

Ha. Damn Yella dog!
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:53 am

RonE wrote:I noticed you asked the dog to "Mark" the blind and sent the dog on "Back". Which I find a little odd. Are you using "Mark" to get the dog excited?

Thanks Ron. I have always done the same as Redbeard stated. Use his name if he sees it the mark, back on a blind. Also open to suggestions. This isn't something we've spent much time on, and I'm not much of a retriever trainer. After NAVHDA tests i plan to join HRC so i can learn more.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Olly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 am

I do like Ron does. On a watched mark I release on his name because he's already so tense wanting to go get it his legs shake. On a blind retrieve I give a back command.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:29 am

Taz is lookin' good Jerry :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 am

Deltaman wrote:Taz is lookin' good Jerry :thumbsup:

Yea he his, his back command is better than Moose's. My dog has a habit that I cannot break of him stopping every 50ft and looking at me for fruther direction on a back command. A follow up back hand signal sends him further back.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:58 am

jarbo03 wrote:
Thanks Ron. I have always done the same as Redbeard stated. Use his name if he sees it the mark, back on a blind. Also open to suggestions. This isn't something we've spent much time on, and I'm not much of a retriever trainer. After NAVHDA tests i plan to join HRC so i can learn more.

I think you are a pretty good retriever trainer. I know the perfectionist in you will settle for nothing less than....perfect.
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 am

Olly wrote:

Yea he his, his back command is better than Moose's. My dog has a habit that I cannot break of him stopping every 50ft and looking at me for fruther direction on a back command. A follow up back hand signal sends him further back.

I'm not a "hunt test" judge. If it works, if be happy with it. I'm just happy if I can get my dog to retrieve what she sees fall.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 am

Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:

I'm not a "hunt test" judge. If it works, if be happy with it. I'm just happy if I can get my dog to retrieve what she sees fall.

Yea I'm very happy with him it's just a funny quirk and I don't know what I did to make him do it.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:New member from central Ga here.

This is what I did, and occasionally Taz will still do it. When he pops, ignore him. Tie yoyr shoe, or get in your bag, let him know he's on his own. If he stands there waiting, recall and send again. I'm sure there are drills to help, or better ways to work on this.
Last edited by jarbo03 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am

jarbo03 wrote:

This what I did, and occasionally Taz will still do it. When he pops, ignore him. Tie yoyr shoe, or get in your bag, let him know he's on his own. If he stands there waiting, recall and send again. I'm sure there are drills to help, or better ways to woek on this.

Fuuuuuuuck
FlintRiverFowler

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:39 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

This what I did, and occasionally Taz will still do it. When he pops, ignore him. Tie yoyr shoe, or get in your bag, let him know he's on his own. If he stands there waiting, recall and send again. I'm sure there are drills to help, or better ways to woek on this.

Fuuuuuuuck

Tapatalk is awesome!
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 am

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:

Yea I'm very happy with him it's just a funny quirk and I don't know what I did to make him do it.
have you tried eliminating it with the collar?
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:54 am

Redbeard wrote:
Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:

Yes but it seems to discourage him on the drive rather than press the point of not stopping.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:

Seems to me we've discussed this before. Might once have been that he just wasn't well conditioned to believe taking the line would get him to the bird and needed more conditioning to that end. But by this point that's compounded by him probably believing he's doing the right thing, which you're inadvertently reinforcing it by responding with another cue.

Generally when a pup that understands taking a line leads to success pops up close like that, the best thing you can do is nothing at all. Just wait him out, and he'll eventually spin and continue back. But when you honor a pop with a handle, you're conditioning the pop.

Were your dog mine, I'd stick my hands in my back pockets and go back to square one of teaching blind retrieves according to whatever program you used and shorten the initial distances so much Pup hardly had a chance to pop before he was at his target. Particularly so with so much of the off season available to put the annoyance behind you before the open season's demands again tempts the short term expediency of further ingraining it.
Last edited by Rick on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:

If you try that sort of collar use with your gal, expect to get sideways. She'll not know what the correction is for. You read it here first...
Rick

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 pm

jarbo03 wrote:

This is what I did, and occasionally Taz will still do it. When he pops, ignore him. Tie yoyr shoe, or get in your bag, let him know he's on his own. If he stands there waiting, recall and send again. I'm sure there are drills to help, or better ways to work on this.

Not sure where this sweet quote came from, I quoted Olly but yet Tapatalk freaked out. Hasn't let me check a thread since this post, works on all other forums though. Rick explained it well also.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:[quote="Deltaman"]Taz is lookin' good Jerry :thumbsup:

If you try that sort of collar use with your gal, expect to get sideways. She'll not know what the correction is for. You read it here first...[/quote]Ha! I have no doubt. Luckily I haven't had any issues here...yet
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:37 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

Not sure where this sweet quote came from, I quoted Olly but yet Tapatalk freaked out. Hasn't let me check a thread since this post, works on all other forums though. Rick explained it well also.

I don't know why you'd be singled out. Is your Tapatalk up to date? It's hard to tell you why when you're the only one.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Olly wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

I don't know why you'd be singled out. Is your Tapatalk up to date? It's hard to tell you why when you're the only one.

Its the NSA.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Olly wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

That is what's weird. I have reinstalled tapatalk pro and the free many times, along with any updates.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

Its the NSA.

Yep
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum