1st time dog training - need help

Everything Duck Dogs!

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:32 am

My boyfriend recently took up duck hunting. He wanted to get a lab to train it so naturally I am going to train him. He is currently 11 weeks as of today. He is also going to be a house/family dog. I found Freddy Kings YouTube training videos so I'm going to go off of his videos to train him. He learns pretty fast, it took ten times (at most) of practicing sit in one day and now he is solid on the command. I'm guessing he would be the alpha of his litter (yay -_-) because he was by far the biggest of his litter mates (almost twice the size). He wasn't breed for hunting but I have faith that his natural bred lab instincts are enough for his drive. I wanted to know if y'all had and tips, tricks, advice for me on this long journey I'm about to get myself into.

Thanks y'all,
Lauren
There's no such thing as being too southern.
Southern_Pistol

Re: 1st time dog training - need help

Postby Olly » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 am

Training any dog for really anything is all about steps and consistency IMO. You need to lay a foundation of good basic obedience before moving on to more advanced stuff and work with the dog every single day if only for one 15 minute session.

My current dog was the first dog I've ever trained and I followed a program called "Water Dog" and he turned out great. There are a lot of different programs out there pick one and stick to it and you'll be fine.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby RonE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 am

Welcome to the forum. Please keep us up to date on yours and the dogs progress through the upcoming months. We will help as much as we can but expect some "cutting up" along the way. Training retrievers is fun but sometimes frustrating.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Redbeard » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 am

Welcome to the forum. Like Olly stated, consistency is huge. One to two quick sessions a day right now to drill that OB into his head. And don't step forward tomorrow to new things until you've mastered today's subject
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 am

And when he decides he doesn't know "sit" anymore, don't get discouraged.

I like Milner's "back to basics retriever training", but as was said, it's about consistency. I am on my first dedicated duck dog, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, technically.
assateague

Postby HighDesertDuck » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:50 am

Congrats on the new puppy. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I'll support the other and say consistency, and keep it short and fun for him. Any program will make it easier, there are plenty of good ones out there. I use Fowl Dogs. The programs are nice and tend to use building block approach. Take your time and enjoy yourself.
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks y'all!
There's no such thing as being too southern.
Southern_Pistol

Postby firewokey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I used a book called "Training Your Retriever" by George Lamb Free.
It was an amazing way to train.10 min.per day.Whistle commands and hand signls.blind retrives double retrives...you name it and it was covered..training wise that is...No shock collar at all and mine is a pig headed chessy
firewokey

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:30 pm

"James" Lamb Free. But who's counting.
Rick

Postby firewokey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:17 am

I think you are right.I work with a guy named george lamb..
sorry
firewokey

Postby firewokey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:19 am

Still a great guide for training tho.
firewokey

Return to Gun Dog Forum