Outdoor kennels/pens

Everything Duck Dogs!

Outdoor kennels/pens

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Grady my pup is big enough to not escape the outside kennel now. This is where he will be for 4 days a week 11.5 hours a day at most. It's a 12x12 kennel, it is covered and has a concrete floor. How do y'all clean your kennels out? Also I will be taking his "toys" away within the next few weeks. How are y'all's kennels setup? Dog house, chew things, water, food? I grew up with prissy dobies that were all inside dogs so this is a new venture for me.

Thanks,
Lauren
There's no such thing as being too southern.
Southern_Pistol

Re: Outdoor kennels/pens

Postby RonE » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm

12 X 12 is a very large kennel. If the kennel is outside, the dog will need shade, shelter from rain and of course, water. For the first week or two keep a close eye on the dog. You don't want excessive barking or scratch/clawing at the kennel walls or gate. Make sure that his dog house/shelter isn't something that he can eat. The dog needs to get out of the kennel to air in the morning and after he has been fed. Needs to be out at a somewhat regular time every day for training too. As far as clean up goes: Scrape or scoop up large piles, wash with hose with pressure nozzle and let dry with the dog out of the kennel. Once a week, spray with bleach and rinse well (be sure it is dry before putting the dog back). You can mount a fan inside or outside the kennel to dry the concrete if time is a consideration.

This might be a typical day: Take the dog out of the kennel and air the dog. Put the dog in a crate and clean the kennel.
Take the dog to the training area and train for 15-20 minutes. Put the dog in the crate until the kennel is dry and has fresh water. In the evening, feed the dog and then air the dog, clean the kennel if necessary.

If your dog barks excessively use a bark collar (you need to be close by for a time to hold the dogs muzzle closed if the shock causes him to bark/squeal enough to set off the collar.

Keep a close eye on the dog around the 4th of July and New Years Eve. Some dogs don't like fireworks and will try to eat their way out of a kennel and damage their mouth/teeth. (odd, when a shotgun blast or training pistol blast only gets them excited to retrieve)

I prefer that my dogs do not sleep on concrete and have found that a raised platform or raised house works well as long as it isn't high enough for the dog to get under it but high enough to hose the kennel under the house for cleaning. Leave nothing in the kennel that will catch dog hair or dog pee/crap and hair mixtures. Hair rots a lot slower that dog crap. Any accumulation of crap, hair or hair/pee/crap will harbor germs and bugs.......Clean kennel equals the best chance for a healthy dog. Dry concrete is important for good foot pad health. In real warm weather, a fan is an great asset and in real cold weather a heat lamp helps.

If the kennel is outdoors, do not grow vines or bushes on the kennel, the dog will eat them to the extent that you will have unwanted vet bills.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:57 am

RonE wrote:12 X 12 is a very large kennel. If the kennel is outside, the dog will need shade, shelter from rain and of course, water. For the first week or two keep a close eye on the dog. You don't want excessive barking or scratch/clawing at the kennel walls or gate. Make sure that his dog house/shelter isn't something that he can eat. The dog needs to get out of the kennel to air in the morning and after he has been fed. Needs to be out at a somewhat regular time every day for training too. As far as clean up goes: Scrape or scoop up large piles, wash with hose with pressure nozzle and let dry with the dog out of the kennel. Once a week, spray with bleach and rinse well (be sure it is dry before putting the dog back). You can mount a fan inside or outside the kennel to dry the concrete if time is a consideration.

This might be a typical day: Take the dog out of the kennel and air the dog. Put the dog in a crate and clean the kennel.
Take the dog to the training area and train for 15-20 minutes. Put the dog in the crate until the kennel is dry and has fresh water. In the evening, feed the dog and then air the dog, clean the kennel if necessary.

If your dog barks excessively use a bark collar (you need to be close by for a time to hold the dogs muzzle closed if the shock causes him to bark/squeal enough to set off the collar.

Keep a close eye on the dog around the 4th of July and New Years Eve. Some dogs don't like fireworks and will try to eat their way out of a kennel and damage their mouth/teeth. (odd, when a shotgun blast or training pistol blast only gets them excited to retrieve)

I prefer that my dogs do not sleep on concrete and have found that a raised platform or raised house works well as long as it isn't high enough for the dog to get under it but high enough to hose the kennel under the house for cleaning. Leave nothing in the kennel that will catch dog hair or dog pee/crap and hair mixtures. Hair rots a lot slower that dog crap. Any accumulation of crap, hair or hair/pee/crap will harbor germs and bugs.......Clean kennel equals the best chance for a healthy dog. Dry concrete is important for good foot pad health. In real warm weather, a fan is an great asset and in real cold weather a heat lamp helps.

If the kennel is outdoors, do not grow vines or bushes on the kennel, the dog will eat them to the extent that you will have unwanted vet bills.

Thanks!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 pm

This spoiled dog lives in a 12x12 with a concrete floor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396287803.354782.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Tomkat wrote:This spoiled dog lives in a 12x12 with a concrete floor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396287803.354782.jpg

How offer do you clean it and with what? What all is in there for him/her? Mine is just in it while my boyfriend and I are at work.
Southern_Pistol

Return to Gun Dog Forum