BUMPERS BUMPERS BUMPERS!!!

Everything Duck Dogs!

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Favorite brand, style and materials??
There's no such thing as being too southern.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Can't remember your dog's age?

Go to gun dog supply online. They have em all. I've always preferred the lucky dog bumpers. Depending on your dog they have 2" and I think 3" or 4" jumbo bumpers. Just made of hard plastic and they'll outlast your dog
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: BUMPERS BUMPERS BUMPERS!!!

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Redbeard wrote:Can't remember your dog's age?

Go to gun dog supply online. They have em all. I've always preferred the lucky dog bumpers. Depending on your dog they have 2" and I think 3" or 4" jumbo bumpers. Just made of hard plastic and they'll outlast your dog

He is 11 weeks old. I just got his 1st one at tsc just a canvas Remington 2x9. Just want him to get use to it and guessing I should start using the smaller one for now till he gets bigger.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Just stock up on lucky dog 2"bumpers from gun dog supply. Best Price I've seen on them with throw rope included. If you progress into double T drills then you will need 10 to 15 bumpers at that point. If course that is down the road.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Southern_Pistol wrote:

He is 11 weeks old. I just got his 1st one at tsc just a canvas Remington 2x9. Just want him to get use to it and guessing I should start using the smaller one for now till he gets bigger.

I started both of my dogs with canvas as well, dont know if it actually made a difference or not but it made me feel better. I also prefer the canvas type if you are training with scent - seems to soak in a little bit.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Lucky dog bumpers. The cheaper the better.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:

I started both of my dogs with canvas as well, dont know if it actually made a difference or not but it made me feel better. I also prefer the canvas type if you are training with scent - seems to soak in a little bit.

Thanks, I found on ducku that they suggest canvas because of weight and what not compared to the plastic filled with air.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Just stock up on lucky dog 2"bumpers from gun dog supply. Best Price I've seen on them with throw rope included. If you progress into double T drills then you will need 10 to 15 bumpers at that point. If course that is down the road.

Those were the exact ones I was looking at. Ducku put them in their best gear of 2014. Thanks!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Olly wrote:Lucky dog bumpers. The cheaper the better.

Thanks! Seems to be the general vote so far.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Southern_Pistol wrote:

yup canvas is fine for playing fetch with the pup for now bit once you start training the lucky dogs won't be too heavy at all

Good looking pup by the way
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Southern_Pistol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:

yup canvas is fine for playing fetch with the pup for now bit once you start training the lucky dogs won't be too heavy at all

Good looking pup by the way

Thanks, he has seemed to like his little sheds for retrieving rather then his tennis ball. Hopefully he will be bumper crazy soon!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Never to soon to introduce them to Duck feathers too. Get a hold of a wing and tie it to a bumper to get him nice and birdy.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I have nothing to add here, but see that you are kinda new and wanted to welcome you. :welcome:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 pm

I usually start pups on a pair of rolled up old socks and from there move up to small bumpers. (get a six pack of them from Pet Smart, sometimes WalMart or order them on line) once the dog is a little older (9-12) months, move up to larger bumpers. Mostly white but you will need some grey and orange bumpers too.

I have never used canvas bumpers very much and don't have much to say about them pro or con. I have used the canvas bumpers that are shot out of a launcher but that is a pretty expensive way to go.

I would suggest that you find someone else that is training a dog and work with them once in a while, it helps if you heel the dog and someone else throws the bumper and fires the gun. Switch places and training becomes more fun and more complete.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby RonE » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 pm

One thing I forgot to mention.....No matter what bumper you chose for the job at the time, never leave a bumper where the dog can play with it or chew it up. They are not toys for the dog, they are tools used to train the dog.

Do not throw tennis balls or sticks for puppies that are in training. Once a dog is trained to the point that you want him, he will retrieve anything that you throw. Until that time don't throw anything but bumpers.

I had to swim out and bring my dog back to shore once when we were camping in Mexico, she tried to retrieve a mooring buoy (a small fender from a boat) that was anchored to the bottom and she could only swim in circles. Usually you won't see anything that resembles a bumper in the field but sticks are common and you don't want one in lieu of a duck.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:51 am

RonE wrote:One thing I forgot to mention.....No matter what bumper you chose for the job at the time, never leave a bumper where the dog can play with it or chew it up. They are not toys for the dog, they are tools used to train the dog.

Do not throw tennis balls or sticks for puppies that are in training. Once a dog is trained to the point that you want him, he will retrieve anything that you throw. Until that time don't throw anything but bumpers.

I had to swim out and bring my dog back to shore once when we were camping in Mexico, she tried to retrieve a mooring buoy (a small fender from a boat) that was anchored to the bottom and she could only swim in circles. Usually you won't see anything that resembles a bumper in the field but sticks are common and you don't want one in lieu of a duck.

I knew about the bumper not being a toy but really good to know about sticks and balls. Thanks!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:52 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I have nothing to add here, but see that you are kinda new and wanted to welcome you. :welcome:

Thank you!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 am

Olly wrote:Never to soon to introduce them to Duck feathers too. Get a hold of a wing and tie it to a bumper to get him nice and birdy.

We didn't know we were getting him so soon or we would have frozen a duck for him. Do you know where I could buy a wing from? He's found feather around the yard here and there so I know he likes them. All I've seen are pheasant wings online. I'm figuring it needs to be duck because of the scent?
Southern_Pistol

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 am

Southern_Pistol wrote:
Olly wrote:Never to soon to introduce them to Duck feathers too. Get a hold of a wing and tie it to a bumper to get him nice and birdy.

We didn't know we were getting him so soon or we would have frozen a duck for him. Do you know where I could buy a wing from? He's found feather around the yard here and there so I know he likes them. All I've seen are pheasant wings online. I'm figuring it needs to be duck because of the scent?

Pheasant wings are fine. I've used pigeons a lot in my training but Ducks are always my first choice.

Look on craigslist sometimes you can find people selling farm Mallards.

Just don't tell them what you want to use it for haha.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 am

Olly wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:

Pheasant wings are fine. I've used pigeons a lot in my training but Ducks are always my first choice.

Lol not gonna lie... I was thinking about that. Hopefully my boyfriend will get a turkey soon then.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:07 am

Pigeons are the best substitute IMO, they are easy to trap alive and are lively birds. I've used hundreds with training my dog. The first live bird he was introduced to was a pigeon because it was during the off season and couldn't find any ducks.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 am

Southern_Pistol wrote:
Olly wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:

Lol not gonna lie... I was thinking about that. Hopefully my boyfriend will get a turkey soon then.

Find a local retriever club, lots of time they will have left over birds after their hunt test. I'm sure you could talk someone into a few wings for some kind of trade. You can also volunteer to help at hunt test to not only pick up on what other trainers are doing, and what fits your plans, but you could also walk away with a freezer full of ducks. Just make sure you don't pick up any that are torn up or ones that are going down hill.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:38 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:
Olly wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:

Find a local retriever club, lots of time they will have left over birds after their hunt test. I'm sure you could talk someone into a few wings for some kind of trade. You can also volunteer to help at hunt test to not only pick up on what other trainers are doing, and what fits your plans, but you could also walk away with a freezer full of ducks. Just make sure you don't pick up any that are torn up or ones that are going down hill.

Thanks! That's awesome advise will for sure look into that!
Southern_Pistol

Postby ea oneal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:10 pm

yep.have a sock full of duck feathers .his only toy that don't get torn to hell
IMG-20140128-00709.jpg
ea oneal

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 pm

ea oneal wrote:

yep.have a sock full of duck feathers .his only toy that don't get torn to hell
IMG-20140128-00709.jpg

Hahaha! I love it!!!!
Southern_Pistol

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:12 pm

I've used a duck wing that's zip-tied onto a puppy sized dummy on puppies and then same with a larger canvas one.

Should be said you need several types and colors.
On a really inexperienced pup use white dummies at first and then toss an orange one out every so often to get it to start using it's nose. It's also good to have a black dummy or two.

Do NOT get one of them duck toys that has a duck call inside. It's a big mistake.
Wife bought one or two and thinks its cute because she's not in the field when my dog tries to make dead ducks quack. :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 pm

aunt betty wrote:I've used a duck wing that's zip-tied onto a puppy sized dummy on puppies and then same with a larger canvas one.

On a really inexperienced pup use white dummies at first and then toss an orange one out every so often to get it to start using it's nose. It's also good to have a black dummy or two.

Do NOT get one of them duck toys that has a duck call inside. It's a big mistake.
Wife bought one or two and thinks its cute because she's not in the field when my dog tries to make dead ducks quack. :mrgreen:

OMG that is so hilarious! I'm sure you don't enjoy it lol. Hoping to get some wings soon! Probably make retrieving more fun for him too.
Southern_Pistol

Postby ea oneal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:50 pm

he is spot on about toys my wife buy,s toys like that! no no no I think that's why all toys must DIE !!!
IMG_0361.JPG
ea oneal

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm

I'll be the heavy who points out that he's had trouble with Lucky Dog bumpers, as some of mine have melted, for lack of a better term, like what happens when rubber fishing baits come in contact with certain plastics. Don't know if it was the sun, composition of the 5 gallon bucket they were in or that of some of the other bumpers in it with them (Newman Bennetts, DT and EZ-Rotational) or something else in the truck bed, but they became gummy and had to be pitched. Lucky Dogs are the only bumpers I've seen that happen with.

I've Newman Bennetts that are 30 or so years old and going strong, but they're relatively expensive, and most of my more recent purchases have been EZ-Rotationals which will likely outlast me. They're the generics Gundog Supply just calls "Firm, knobby plastic Dummys": http://www.gundogsupply.com/-9645-.html They're made of a dense compound, which coupled with their compact shape will allow you to throw them MUCH farther than canvas bumpers.

And while I'm being the bad guy, I'll add that I see no value in using wings. Wings aren't birds and can't even smell anything but vaguely like the live or fresh shot birds pup should love. Wings are long dead carrion, something most of us would not want our pups messing with if we think of them as Pup's nose will.

While Pup's small, I'd try to find a live pigeon or chukar to use just enough to light its fire for birds, and then work with nothing with bumpers until good mouth and retrieving habits are well conditioned before reintroducing birds into training.

(I'll go back to my cave, now, like a good little ogre.)
Rick

Postby capt1972 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Southern_Pistol wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I've used a duck wing that's zip-tied onto a puppy sized dummy on puppies and then same with a larger canvas one.

OMG that is so hilarious! I'm sure you don't enjoy it lol. Hoping to get some wings soon! Probably make retrieving more fun for him too.

DO NOT RESPOND TO BETTY'S POSTS

IT WILL ONLY ENCOURAGE HIM! :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum