BUMPERS BUMPERS BUMPERS!!!

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: BUMPERS BUMPERS BUMPERS!!!

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Rick wrote:I'll be the heavy who points out that he's had trouble with Lucky Dog bumpers, as some of mine have melted, for lack of a better term, like what happens when rubber fishing baits come in contact with certain plastics. Don't know if it was the sun, composition of the 5 gallon bucket they were in or that of some of the other bumpers in it with them (Newman Bennetts, DT and EZ-Rotational) or something else in the truck bed, but they became gummy and had to be pitched. Lucky Dogs are the only bumpers I've seen that happen with.

I've Newman Bennetts that are 30 or so years old and going strong, but they're relatively expensive, and most of my more recent purchases have been EZ-Rotationals which will likely outlast me. They're the generics Gundog Supply just calls "Firm, knobby plastic Dummys": http://www.gundogsupply.com/-9645-.html They're made of a dense compound, which coupled with their compact shape will allow you to throw them MUCH farther than canvas bumpers.

And while I'm being the bad guy, I'll add that I see no value in using wings. Wings aren't birds and can't even smell anything but vaguely like the live or fresh shot birds pup should love. Wings are long dead carrion, something most of us would not want our pups messing with if we think of them as Pup's nose will.

While Pup's small, I'd try to find a live pigeon or chukar to use just enough to light its fire for birds, and then work with nothing with bumpers until good mouth and retrieving habits are well conditioned before reintroducing birds into training.

(I'll go back to my cave, now, like a good little ogre.)

Thanks for screwing up the consistency!! ;)
There's no such thing as being too southern.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:23 pm

ea oneal wrote:he is spot on about toys my wife buy,s toys like that! no no no I think that's why all toys must DIE !!!
IMG_0361.JPG

I'm taking all his toys away after work today. He has sheds, pig ears and cow hooves to keep him out of trouble.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:24 pm

capt1972 wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I've used a duck wing that's zip-tied onto a puppy sized dummy on puppies and then same with a larger canvas one.

Should be said you need several types and colors.
On a really inexperienced pup use white dummies at first and then toss an orange one out every so often to get it to start using it's nose. It's also good to have a black dummy or two.

Do NOT get one of them duck toys that has a duck call inside. It's a big mistake.
Wife bought one or two and thinks its cute because she's not in the field when my dog tries to make dead ducks quack. :mrgreen:

OMG that is so hilarious! I'm sure you don't enjoy it lol. Hoping to get some wings soon! Probably make retrieving more fun for him too.

DO NOT RESPOND TO BETTY'S POSTS

IT WILL ONLY ENCOURAGE HIM! :D

I'm sure I'll figure all of y'all out soon lol.
Southern_Pistol

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Southern_Pistol wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:
Olly wrote:Lucky dog bumpers. The cheaper the better.

Thanks! Seems to be the general vote so far.
yup canvas is fine for playing fetch with the pup for now bit once you start training the lucky dogs won't be too heavy at all

Good looking pup by the way

Thanks, he has seemed to like his little sheds for retrieving rather then his tennis ball. Hopefully he will be bumper crazy soon!
TENNIS BALL?
A tennis ball is just the exact right size to lodge in a large dog's throat. I know a man whose German shepherd choked on a tennis ball that it found in the yard. Came home and found the poor thing.

Lose the tennis ball plz.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:28 pm

capt1972 wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I've used a duck wing that's zip-tied onto a puppy sized dummy on puppies and then same with a larger canvas one.

On a really inexperienced pup use white dummies at first and then toss an orange one out every so often to get it to start using it's nose. It's also good to have a black dummy or two.

Do NOT get one of them duck toys that has a duck call inside. It's a big mistake.
Wife bought one or two and thinks its cute because she's not in the field when my dog tries to make dead ducks quack. :mrgreen:

OMG that is so hilarious! I'm sure you don't enjoy it lol. Hoping to get some wings soon! Probably make retrieving more fun for him too.

Always RESPOND TO BETTY'S POSTS

He's an internet badass and I worship him! :D
fify
aunt betty

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:33 pm

aunt betty wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:

Always RESPOND TO BETTY'S POSTS

He's an internet badass and I worship him! :D
fify

Lol!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Rick wrote:I'll be the heavy who points out that he's had trouble with Lucky Dog bumpers, as some of mine have melted, for lack of a better term, like what happens when rubber fishing baits come in contact with certain plastics. Don't know if it was the sun, composition of the 5 gallon bucket they were in or that of some of the other bumpers in it with them (Newman Bennetts, DT and EZ-Rotational) or something else in the truck bed, but they became gummy and had to be pitched. Lucky Dogs are the only bumpers I've seen that happen with.

I've Newman Bennetts that are 30 or so years old and going strong, but they're relatively expensive, and most of my more recent purchases have been EZ-Rotationals which will likely outlast me. They're the generics Gundog Supply just calls "Firm, knobby plastic Dummys": http://www.gundogsupply.com/-9645-.html They're made of a dense compound, which coupled with their compact shape will allow you to throw them MUCH farther than canvas bumpers.

And while I'm being the bad guy, I'll add that I see no value in using wings. Wings aren't birds and can't even smell anything but vaguely like the live or fresh shot birds pup should love. Wings are long dead carrion, something most of us would not want our pups messing with if we think of them as Pup's nose will.

While Pup's small, I'd try to find a live pigeon or chukar to use just enough to light its fire for birds, and then work with nothing with bumpers until good mouth and retrieving habits are well conditioned before reintroducing birds into training.

You do have a point about the dead ducks. I don't think a day old wing is bad to give to a dog and still has plenty of Duck scent rather that decaying smell. I would never use anything older than a day or two.

I knew a guy that trained with absolutely rotten ducks and tried to give me shit when my dog didn't want to pick them up.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ea oneal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm

I pull wing feathers and keep em cold till I want to make a sock toy. he seems to like it best of his toys and he has a bunch .he has sit ,stay,come,and leave it.as far as the retrieve part well he goes and gets it 4-5 times and after that if you want it you go get it buddy.but he knows beer is good :beer:
IMG-20140214-00713.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
ea oneal

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Rick, pm me if you want and I can go to the Neumann & Bennett's shop (its 3 minutes down the road) and pick you up a pile of their factory seconds for quite a bit less than retail if you want. Thats where I get all of my bumpers.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:38 pm

I've heard that their seconds are often impossible to spot as such and appreciate the offer, but I'm loaded up with bumpers for life. Only things I use the Newman Bennetts for anymore are applications where their being valved is handy for putting water in them to create sinker/divers or to give them a little life from water sloshing back and forth as Pup runs with them to encourage a firmer grip.
Rick

Postby RonE » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:03 pm

ea oneal wrote:I pull wing feathers and keep em cold till I want to make a sock toy. he seems to like it best of his toys and he has a bunch .he has sit ,stay,come,and leave it.as far as the retrieve part well he goes and gets it 4-5 times and after that if you want it you go get it buddy.but he knows beer is good :beer:
IMG-20140214-00713.jpg

You mentioned that your pup knows beer is good, what is that stuff in the blue can?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Southern_Pistol » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:04 pm

RonE wrote:
ea oneal wrote:I pull wing feathers and keep em cold till I want to make a sock toy. he seems to like it best of his toys and he has a bunch .he has sit ,stay,come,and leave it.as far as the retrieve part well he goes and gets it 4-5 times and after that if you want it you go get it buddy.but he knows beer is good :beer:
IMG-20140214-00713.jpg

You mentioned that your pup knows beer is good, what is that stuff in the blue can?

Hahaha! That's what I was thinking!
Southern_Pistol

Postby Redbeard » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:16 pm

RonE wrote:
IMG-20140214-00713.jpg

worst beer ever?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:30 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Rick, pm me if you want and I can go to the Neumann & Bennett's shop (its 3 minutes down the road) and pick you up a pile of their factory seconds for quite a bit less than retail if you want. Thats where I get all of my bumpers.

How much?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

How much?

Not sure its been several years.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Site says "slightly imperfects" are $3.50 for 2" and $4.50 for 3", as opposed to $5.25 and $6.30 for first quality.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Rick wrote:Site says "slightly imperfects" are $3.50 for 2" and $4.50 for 3", as opposed to $5.25 and $6.30 for first quality.

They have another bumper they list as 'soft'. Are you familiar with these? They are a dollar cheaper per dummy.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 am

Southern_Pistol wrote:
RonE wrote:
IMG-20140214-00713.jpg

Great minds............around here that stuff is quite popular with our Hispanic population.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:03 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Rick wrote:Site says "slightly imperfects" are $3.50 for 2" and $4.50 for 3", as opposed to $5.25 and $6.30 for first quality.

They have another bumper they list as 'soft'. Are you familiar with these? They are a dollar cheaper per dummy.

Never seen one, and not having done so, would fear price reflects quality...
Rick

Postby Southern_Pistol » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am

Olly wrote:Pigeons are the best substitute IMO, they are easy to trap alive and are lively birds. I've used hundreds with training my dog. The first live bird he was introduced to was a pigeon because it was during the off season and couldn't find any ducks.

Turkey wing will have to do. He's lovin himself some feathers.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Southern_Pistol

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 am

RonE wrote:...around here that stuff is quite popular with our Hispanic population.

According to the survey done on my state road tree lawn, if Cajun Country had an official beer, Bud Lite would be it.
Rick

Postby RonE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Rick wrote:
RonE wrote:...around here that stuff is quite popular with our Hispanic population.

According to the survey done on my state road tree lawn, if Cajun Country had an official beer, Bud Lite would be it.

Or at leas the favorite beer of the dumb shits that throw their empty cans out the window while going down the road.

Perhaps Bud Lite is the favored beer of the lower social orders.
RonE

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 pm

RonE wrote:
Southern_Pistol wrote:
RonE wrote:
IMG-20140214-00713.jpg

Great minds............around here that stuff is quite popular with our Hispanic population.

It's almost always guaranteed.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Southern_Pistol wrote:
Olly wrote:Pigeons are the best substitute IMO, they are easy to trap alive and are lively birds. I've used hundreds with training my dog. The first live bird he was introduced to was a pigeon because it was during the off season and couldn't find any ducks.

Turkey wing will have to do. He's lovin himself some feathers.

Haha. I need to get another dog.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby HighDesertDuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 am

I have had good luck with Avery bumpers. I also like the Fokker dead fowl trainers. The Avery sport dogs have held up good in the harsh New Mexico sun. The dead fowl trainers are great because I gives me a chance to enforce the order of the retrieve, on a double or triple. (he prefers the dokkens). The two with the small plastic nubs, I don't remember who made those but we both don't like them. We use the canvas for scent and drag work
I have been getting my dog supplies from Gun dog supply. Great guys and when you time it right really good prices.

Last edited by HighDesertDuck on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby Olly » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:01 am

Love the Avery bumpers. Hate their price.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby HighDesertDuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:05 am

I hinny I bought the orange as a 6 pack for like 4.50 each. The hex shape is nice find he does less rolling the bumper in his mouth
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 am

Used dokken.
The head is setup perfectly to train the dog how to carry a duck so it don't get banged in the face with it.

It teaches the dog without any effort from handler. It takes a while but works.
Great tool for that.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum