Horseback ride gone bad!

Everything Duck Dogs!

Horseback ride gone bad!

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 pm

What started out as a nice day on the trail for my son and his wife in WY, things went south at the lake.

Their female GSP, Lily, was taking a drink form the water as the pack horse walked behind her. She finished and backed right under the step of the horse and the ensuing commotion spooked the horse and he kicked the dog. She was injured bad enough that my son had to carry her across the saddle all the way back to the trailhead. They then spent hours and $$$$$ at the vets. The first attempt to put her leg back into the hip socket was unsuccessful. With the Xrays, it was evident that she has hip dysplasia that was making it more difficult to repair the issue. She is now at home with the leg and hip immobilized. We'll see how things work out in 5-6 weeks. Hoping it will heal while immobilized or there will be more $$$$ and probably surgery for the dog.

QH's Paw

Re: Horseback ride gone bad!

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 am

That sucks QH, hope all turns out well. As you can see from my post, dogs are amazing creatures.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:13 am

Hope that pup heals up good
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:27 am

Any updats?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 am

My best wishes for the dog, I know I'd be freaking out if it happened to mine.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm

I just found out yesterday that when the horse freaked out and kicked her, apparently he kicked her in the face at least once. Poor girl has 3 staples in her cheek OUCH!
It's pretty tough keeping those high energy dogs calm. I think this healing thing will be a long process for her.
QH's Paw

Return to Gun Dog Forum